Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

What's all this I hear on the commercials about Apple systems being far superior? They never get viruses or crash etc? From what I have always heard Apple systems are trash. Why would they say such things? Why?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

"Look, mommy... a fuse! And it's shooting off sparks..."

Are ya lookin' fer discussion, or argument? Although I'm not a Mac guy, they have their place... and they've evolved quite a bit over the years. Latest version of the OS now has Unix underpinnings, which makes it inherently superior to the Windows OSs that I run around here...

As for the viruses, the first have landed. For the longest time, it wasn't worth the virus writers' effort to make a Mac virus... not enough people used them. Now....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I'm looking for the truth is all. And you answred some of the questions I had. I started seeing these new Apple commercials making amazing claims to solve all the problems a PC has. I have always assumed they were terrible attempts at computers, has something changed or is it all lies?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

My experiences with Macs are limited to a big heavy box with a tiny but even heavier screen. It's older than I am. It's yellow with age. And it still works. And it works well. So yes, I would say Apple computers are inherently superior.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ohhhh.....God...... Must....resist......posting.....In....this.....thr ead.....

Can't.....fight...it.......

Ok, I will post, but it will be short...

In the IT world, there are people like me that like Windows, and people that don't.

Generally people that like one, will hate the other, and im afraid that this thread will only lead to a massive war on what is superior.

My opinion is this:
Mac's have huge potential, but they lack the user base needed to make them any more than a specialty PC. When it comes to multimedia applications, I would always be happy to use a Mac, but IN MY OPINION they are no better at anything else than what I can put on my PC.
*They DO crash, and although it may not be as often as Windows, there is a simple reason. Mac OS is no where near as complicated/versitile as Windows.
*The whole virus-free thing is bull$hit, while it is very true that there are far less viruses, they are just as vulnerable, if not more so because of the lack of protectin thought to be needed.

All I think the Mac's need are some more support. If they had games developed to run on their Os, I may consider it, but unfortunantly, I cannot easily customise a Mac (Put my own hardware in)

And yes I am aware of Bootcamp, but I think thats a stupid idea, designed to attract a larger user base, and it has no advantages unless you already own a Mac and Windows.

Anyways, that's all I will say for now. If you have any more questions and would like my opinion, i'm here to answer, but I will admit that my answers/opinions will be considered Biased by some people [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Note: This is not a serious response, but I do find this odd.

Mac User: I love my computer, it hardly ever crashes, unlike a Windows based unit. Hey look, I can put Windows on my computer...er, what? If Windows is inherently as bad as Mac users would have us believe, why put it on a Mac?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I go where the games are. If they manage to get compatibility for all PC games then great. Otherwise it's good for nothing but work.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I think Macs are great little computers these days. If I hadn't moved the family to Linux, it's what I would put my parents on. They're slick, fast, reliable and more secure than Windows by default (from design as well as obscurity). They also offer many features that Windows XP doesn't.

Having said that, I don't get on with the interface and the lack of configurability (but it's not much different to Windows in this respect).

Loads of my friends made the leap from Windows whilst at uni and none of them have looked back.

Luvian is dead right about the games, although as always it's a chicken and egg situation. The market base is growing, and more games are being released for it.

At the end of the day though, it's a case of using what's right for you. Wander down to an Apple store and have a play with one and see if you like it. Ultimately OS wars are a bit pointless because different people will always judge an operating system in different ways.

@Robert: Apple allowing people to dual-boot Windows is a cunning marketing ploy - you're far more likely to buy a mac if you know you can still go back to familiar surroundings every now and again. Games are the other big reason for keeping Windows around of course.

Edit: Luvian, love the sig

[ 08-08-2006, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Just read Luvian's thing about AOL. Millions can be wrong!! Mac is far better, Bill just won out that's all.

Look at Beta vs VHS. Beta beat the crap out of it, but Sony made a marketing BooBoo. Still have my Sony Super beta HiFi. It still does great at taping, editting and digital effects I only see as of late in other sytstems and it's 12-13 years old or more.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Mac/Apple needs to get it's iHead out of it's iAss.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote