Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2001, 01:39 PM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The only thing worse is to get to the phone in time to answer it, only to find out it's a telemarketer.AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!
Old 12-04-2001, 01:41 PM   #12
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Telemarketer?
Old 12-04-2001, 02:58 PM   #13
Blade
Emerald Dragon

telemarketers aka solisiters who bother you over the phone instead of at your dore.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:01 PM   #14
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

For Sir ReGiN:

Telemarketer:
Real World Definition: A low-wage worker whose job is to call every name on a list provided by their employer to try to sell them a product or service. Their bad reputation comes from the fact that they call at the most inconvenient times to sell something the person most likely does not want. I have had phone calls at my house as late as 9:30pm (EST). I have 2 young boys and this is shortly after thier bedtime. I was quite rude to the person inconsiderate enough to call my house that late at night.

Telemarketer:
Baldur's Gate/AD&D Definition:
Minor Demon Spawn!
Old 12-04-2001, 03:03 PM   #15
Campino

That's one of the reasons i bought a handy device which display's the number of the person calling you.If it's a telemarketer,(and those are the people who don't allow their telephonenumber to be seen),you can chose not to answer the phone.

But that won't help you if you're already out of your bed
Old 12-04-2001, 05:47 PM   #16
Jorath Calar
Harper

Rule #9 Always post your problems on the Ironworks Forum... you always get LOTS of solutions to them there...

Thanks guys. Even if these rules don't do much good if you are already awake, but I really need to learn to sleep through any noise. It's enough if my sister closes her door which is close to mine, I wake up because of it...
Old 12-04-2001, 06:03 PM   #17
Tabitha Silverwill
Dungeon Master

Rule #10 Don't pay your phone bill. You will save money and no one will be able to bother you when you are asleep after a while.

One small problem would be the inability to go online and meet up with IW chums. Sure there must be a solution to that though

I actually have exactly the same problem as you Jorath. I have an automatic answer service called 1571 which allows exactly the correct number of rings to awake me from my slumbers, fall downstairs and actually get my hand on the receiver only for it to stop. I just unplug my landline and switch off mobile when I don't want interruptions.

Changing phone number might work too, just don't tell anyone what the new one is. Use the phone for your convenience - don't be there for other peoples' ease. LOL
Old 12-04-2001, 07:57 PM   #18
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Must suck to be you and be woken up by a phone instead of an alarm. [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 12-04-2001, 08:05 PM   #19
Tobbin
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
For Sir ReGiN:

Telemarketer:
Real World Definition: A low-wage worker whose job is to call every name on a list provided by their employer to try to sell them a product or service. Their bad reputation comes from the fact that they call at the most inconvenient times to sell something the person most likely does not want. I have had phone calls at my house as late as 9:30pm (EST). I have 2 young boys and this is shortly after thier bedtime. I was quite rude to the person inconsiderate enough to call my house that late at night.

Telemarketer:
Baldur's Gate/AD&D Definition:
Minor Demon Spawn!

9:30PM EDT? That's not too bad. I've had people call as late as 11:30PM I asked them what the hell they were calling that late for and they said they thought I was in their timezone which was 3 hours earlier. Well, shortly after that, I plugged in my answering machine and let it take over. I keep the voice turned off, so I don't hear the caller. If it is family or something, they will leave a message. Most telemarketers don't do that. Sometimes I get the services that call out with autodial and auto message, but I just delete them when I first hear their spiel. IE. I got a Miss Cleo call a month or so ago. She must really be psychic to find my number. Jeez
Old 12-04-2001, 08:07 PM   #20
Tabitha Silverwill
Dungeon Master

What can I say ...

I keep very odd hours and don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to sleep at 3pm in the afternoon in peace with out the dog and bone disturbing me.

Normally, I do use an alarm clock like everyone else. Oddly though, they aren't as effective at disturbing me as telephones. LOL Oh well.