Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Ok I downloaded the 1.28 server form bioware. I run it and everything is fine. I did the update and it is 1.29. OK I go in in DM mode and try to create a Gnoll it shows up as a badger. Any ideas? I think also the dire rat does the same thing. Is there a file I need to copy over or something?

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I can only say that as of last night...my gnolls were working properly. What a strange bug! I assume you have already searched the NWN forums for this? If not, then I'll give it a shot tonight.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hmmm Badgers are the default creature that appears when a summoning or CreateObject goes bad. I would run the update again and/or reinstall everything.

Also-Did the mod you were running use a hak pak or custom content? Because this sounds like an incorrect .2DA creature reference file. If the hak pak is based from an earlier version of the game it will cause errors like the one you are recieving.
If you are using a hak- check for an update, that may solve the problem.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I had guessed the badgers were the default. Thanks for the confim! There is no reinstall this is the down loaded server. It is just an unzip. I was kind of wondering if it did not have the new creatures added into it. I have not checked the bioware forums yet. I just wanted to bounce it off a few people here first before I did that. Headed that way now. Also I might just down load the 1.29 version and test that. Also this was running the chapter one that ships with NWN. Nothing has been installed on either my computer or the server that can not be downloaded through the updater. AKA nothing but patches and Witches Wake, etc.

Granamere
Yup weird!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ok what do you mean you downloaded the 1.29 server? You mean u simply patched the game, right?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:56 PM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Check ou this link http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/standaloneserver.html. Bioware puts out a NWN server that does not need a cd key. The catch is that is all that it does. There is a linux version also.

If you check the NWN bioware forums which I spent a ton of time on today. You will see that the 1.30 patch will ship with SoU and there is a ton of debate what will happen with NWN non-SoU playing on the new SoU servers. One quote off of there was someone asking what would someone who is not SoU see when a SoU cast a SoU spell. The joking answer was a default badger smacking the person.

I did not see anything about my problem so I am just going to try the 1.29 version and see what happens.

Thanks,
Granamere
Old 06-10-2003, 01:04 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Check ou this link http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/standaloneserver.html. Bioware puts out a NWN server that does not need a cd key. The catch is that is all that it does. There is a linux version also.
Yeah I've seen this stand-alone server (the link you posted dosen't seem to work btw), just wondered why you downloaded that individually instead of using the default NWserver that came with your latest patch..? Or is there something I'm missing here, lol.

Quote:
If you check the NWN bioware forums which I spent a ton of time on today. You will see that the 1.30 patch will ship with SoU and there is a ton of debate what will happen with NWN non-SoU playing on the new SoU servers. One quote off of there was someone asking what would someone who is not SoU see when a SoU cast a SoU spell. The joking answer was a default badger smacking the person.
Yah I been debating this myself. Most are thrilled as I am but people don't see the full picture and I fear their optimism is misplaced. There can't possibly be a way to whip out an SOU spell in a non-SOU server unless the latest patch is so massive and contains the files needed to cast these spells, from VFX to 2DA's which basically means that the latest patch is the half of the SOU expansion - free to those who haven't bought it. It's mental really. What is the official Biomod word on this if any?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
there is a ton of debate what will happen with NWN non-SoU playing on the new SoU servers. One quote off of there was someone asking what would someone who is not SoU see when a SoU cast a SoU spell. The joking answer was a default badger smacking the person.
ROFL! That is too funny! I can see that happening...just like the cow-kill cheat in Baulders Gate...where a dragon drops a cow on the NPC to kill him. LOL!

[ 06-10-2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #9
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I found out last night I had the 1.27 version patched to 1.28 then patched to the 1.29 version. Not sure if that makes any difference or not. The 1.29 version shows Gnolls and dire rats no problem. Where are the penguins? I do not see them in the DM creator options? Any ideas? [img]smile.gif[/img] Can you make them hostile? Imagine walking into a room and waves upon waves of penguins start walking towards you. First you think they are cute then the horror! [img]smile.gif[/img]

From what I have read the 1.29 to 1.30 patch is going to be over 35 megs. People with 56K modems are going to hate it.

Sorry about the link try this one http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/standaloneserver.html the last one kept the "." as part of the link so it did not work that well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am running this server on another computer so I can connect in from mine in either DM mode or player mode with out having to bring down the server. Plus I can leave it up and work on my normal computer doing what ever I want without having to worry about not rebooting or anything else that would bring the server down. Also it makes it easier to keep my firewall rules only open to one internal server.

Granamere
Old 06-10-2003, 09:33 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ahhh I see, I remember you saying you had multiple copies for different computers, just wondered if you were unnecessarily running into problems was all.

The penguin isn't on the DM creator menu, I think due to it not being a 'defualt' creature nor could I find it in the usual places within toolset. You can script a penguin into existence though, very easily by spawning it in.

But..there's an easier way without messing with scripts and I'd suggest this for your little 'arctic encounter'. Create say, 6 Orcs (which are hostile by default) then right-click on their stats and change the appearance to Penguin -you can do this in toolset btw, then give them whatever stats you want (deleting the orc description for finesse etc.). There you have it, rabid-penguins.
Save one of the to the palette under custom creatures and change the name from Orc to Penguin so that way you can create one when you like both in the toolset and in DM dynamic-build mode.