Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2001, 09:06 AM   #1
Thamrys Greybeard
Dungeon Master

I have a barbarian, two paladins and three warlocks - so far a great combination, although it would be nice if the three warriors could use ranged weapons. I hear that for ranged weapons, one should become a samurai. My guys are all around 5th level. Any advice?
Thamrys Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 09:40 AM   #2
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Thamrys, well I would probably wait for a few more level ups, but there are many opinions about this subject. A Samurai can learn Sun spells and the Critical Strike Ability. They can use weapons like Katana and No-dachi. Actually, the Ranger is better at ranged weapons. Also, A Samurai acquires the Ancestral Guide Trait immediately. The Sun spells could be considered "ranged weapons" as you can cast them from a distance, hence not having to get close to you enemy to destroy them. Sun spells are really powerful, especially if you get into the higher level spells. Burn and Illuminate are a couple of useful lower level Sun spells. Firestorm and Burning Haze are a couple of higher level spells. So they are worth a lot to me. Let us know what you decide and how you are doing. We love to hear about your adventures and roles and such. Hope this is helpful to your decision.
Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 09:59 AM   #3
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Yet another opinion. First, don't change yet... wait 'til your guys (with the exception) of the barbarian have attained 7 in their spell realm.

Have your warlock specialized in Sun spells? If not, don't waste your time doing it as a warlock, change to samourai once you've maxed Fiend. After, I would take them to samurai or ninja... or both (SUN or MOON speels) . This will refresh their level, boost their magic but most of all, give them more HP and the ability to use better weapons.

I agree that if you want to use range weapons, rangers are the best. But, there's nothing to prevent you, as a barbarian or paladin to use to use them.

Your call, have a good game and keep us posted.

Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 11:26 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi Thamrys!

I liked the samurai - but not for ranged weapons. In this game I have found that magic is really the best "range weapon" and the alternatives, such as bows, never seemed to be able to compete with a well placed spell.

I just pushed up mortifications thread on the subject of ranged weapons, you might find it interesting!

Keep us posted as to what you do!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 01:34 PM   #5
Thamrys Greybeard
Dungeon Master

Having 3 warlocks is pretty neat, as someone mentioned before. The two paladins give the group bless and heal for the time being. With five magic-users, all magic groups are represented; the barbarian is the only non-magic-user but he is pretty beefy. Everyone is still at a pretty low level, so I was wondering whether I should start working towards another life-change with one or more of them. I must say so far they're a pretty well-rounded group!
Thamrys Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 02:12 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thamrys -

Check your email - sent you something

Have fun!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 05:08 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

EVERY CARACTER SHOULD BE A SAMURAI FOR A WHILE!
Reason: The Prowess skill. I do not know another source of the skill. Also, the Ancestral Guide Trait is useful.
As far as the Deathstrike skill is concerned: it is a Bushi Dojo level 6 skill. Everybody who is a member of Bushi Dojo can learn it.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote