Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I went by Borders the other day, and saw the new version of this RPG out on the shelves. I played the older version, and did like it (not as much as D&D, but a good diversion). I read through this newer game, and was a little surprised about the whole "spend stones instead of rolling dice" system. Has anyone played this game? If so, did you like it or hate it? It does seem pretty cool on a cursory read, but how good is the game in practice? Just wanted to get some thoughts on it.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 07-14-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
IronDragon
Elminster

I remember attempting it with some friends about 20 years ago. I was 9 years old at the time…yeah 9…that’s the ticket. Anyway we found it clumsy and it caused a lot of problems. We ended up moving to GURPS for anything outside of D&D.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:
I remember attempting it with some friends about 20 years ago. I was 9 years old at the time…yeah 9…that’s the ticket. Anyway we found it clumsy and it caused a lot of problems. We ended up moving to GURPS for anything outside of D&D.
Actually, there is a newer version than what you are talking about; this newer version is in a hard bound book, while the version you are talking about was a boxed set. The one you are talking about had ranks like Feeble, Poor, Typical, Good, Excellent, Remarkable, Incredible, Amazing, Monstrous, and Unearthly for everything. This version instead has "Action levels" where the highest I have seen is 10 (Xavier's telepathy, etc.). There are no dice in this version; you spend "red stones" to do stuff, and get some back at the end of each turn. I had never seen a system like that before.

I haven't heard of GURPS in ages! Are they still making stuff for that?
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 07-14-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I love GURPS! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] Yes, they still make source books for that, at least the last time I did a search for GURPS on Amazon they had some. They never had too many adventure modules, because that system is mostly for individual creation, but you can adapt any other module to the GURPS system fairly easily; a couple of friends and I converted some AD&D modules back in college.

The boxed set for Marvel was all-right was a good diversion from AD&D; it was certainly much better than Dark Sun [img]tongue.gif[/img] .... Its greatest weakness were the modules--who wrote those things? However, it did let you discover new ways of defeating certain opponents who might otherwise be unbeatable, like the time we used a mid-level telekenetic to "beat" the Juggernaut....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:37 AM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I liked the old boxed version of Marvel's game and didn't realize there was a newer hardbound version, so I'll have to check it out.

If you want ackward, try DCs game. Yuck! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
If you want ackward, try DCs game. Yuck! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
That bad? I hadn't really seen that game. DC can't hold a candle to Marvel in the comics, so it doesn't surprise me the game doesn't do well either.

I played GURPS ages ago, and thought that the game went under when the Secret Service raided Steve Jackson Games. Good to hear that they got through that!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:07 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

God I love Marvel. I'd love to see an absolute D&D conversion using the Marvel Universe. Pity anything they have done has been lacking, would be great gaming.

You know I've also been kinda dreaming about a Marvel RPG using the NeverWinter Nights engine. Throw in some unique VFX, a few city/marvel/planet tilesets and there ya have it. Feats, 'Spells' etc. could all work in the same way. Watcha think?

[ 07-16-2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 07-16-2003, 07:41 PM   #8
IronDragon
Elminster

In the mid to late 80’s DC had some real quality comics in publication. That was the era when Alan Moore was writing for the regularly and they had some great artists.

Swamp Thing
Hellblazer
Batman: Dark Knight Returns
Watchmen
Legion
Vigilante
Ronin
Crisis on Infinite Earths

Comics fall in and out of favor, as do titles. DC used to blow away any and all who dared to publish.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:50 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:
Comics fall in and out of favor, as do titles. DC used to blow away any and all who dared to publish.
Oh yes, definitely. Especially during WWII, though eventually things got watered down (they made Batman and Superman best buddies, etc). They had the stranglehold on the industry, while Marvel was writing monster stories. Then Marvel decided to write edgier, more radical/liberal stuff during the 60s, which is what put them above. The 80s were catchup for DC. Now they are owned by the same company if I remember right (thus all of that "Battle of the Universes" garbage that went on).

Anyway, it seems like no one knows about this new Marvel game, which of course is a bad sign.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:18 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I think Stan Lee was the best thing to ever happen to them actually.