Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #41
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I'm not sure any of us can understand fully what people went through in Nazi Germany. The people who were there will certainly have a different perspective than we do. The farther away we are from the center of the action the less we truely understand the level of emotional response. I think it is a shame people do not have enough respect for others to know there are certain symbles that, out of respect, should not be worn. This is one of them in my opinion.

The Dalai Lama said "peace is not just the absence of violence, but the manifestation of human kindness. That's all I would like to see happen.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #42
Djinn Raffo
Ra

With victory don't you earn the right to take the piss out of your defeated enemies?
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #43
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

To a point, but that can only last so long before annimosity takes hold and you end up with a whole new batch of piss.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #44
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Hm.. I doubt this bodes well for the hit musical The Producers...

That is a group of stormtroopers dancing in the shape of a swastika. In case you can't tell. Not pictured is the flamboyantly homosexual Hitler. Would the stormtroopers still be able to say, "Heil Hitler" and do the salute? Would Hitler still be able to sing his solo, "Heil Myself", and give himself a limp-wristed salute?

And what about the Monty Python sketch about Mr. Hilter? At least keep the episode of Fawlty Towers with the germans. That's got to be my favourite episode ever.

[ 01-20-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #45
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Entertainment has always been a forum for political and social statements, and I believe it is a healthy one. But Harry was not entertaining, but just out at a party. I would hope he would have enough respect for the people who went through the Nazi ordeal to ware something else. I don't think that is too much to ask. I don't think a law needs to be passed, people should be able to police themselves when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #46
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Harry is an idiot, imho. He's a prince and should act as such. Yeah yeah, I know he's also a teenager, but still.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #47
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
I think it is a shame people do not have enough respect for others to know there are certain symbles that, out of respect, should not be worn.
I think it is a shame that some people feel they have the right to tell other people what they may or may not wear.

Again, if you decide to outlaw one group then you must outlaw them all.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #48
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
I think it is a shame people do not have enough respect for others to know there are certain symbles that, out of respect, should not be worn.
I think it is a shame that some people feel they have the right to tell other people what they may or may not wear.

Again, if you decide to outlaw one group then you must outlaw them all.
[/QUOTE]It's just a matter of courtesy and respect for your environment, why is it so hard for you to understand ? There's some things you just don't do, and dressing as a nazi is one of them, unless you are one of course. Let's say for a minute you have a store, and someone comes in, buttnaked. What will you do ? You ask him nicely if there's anything you can help him with, or do you tell him to get the hell out ? and can you imagine that other customers will be annoyed, upset, or even insulted by the sight of it ?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #49
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
It's just a matter of courtesy and respect for your environment, why is it so hard for you to understand ? There's some things you just don't do, and dressing as a nazi is one of them, unless you are one of course. Let's say for a minute you have a store, and someone comes in, buttnaked. What will you do ? You ask him nicely if there's anything you can help him with, or do you tell him to get the hell out ? and can you imagine that other customers will be annoyed, upset, or even insulted by the sight of it ?
I understand perfectly fine the position you state...I simply disagree with it. Dressing like a Nazi, even if you aren't one, breaks no laws (at least here) and has nothing to do with someone walking into a store naked, which does violate decency laws. Should a customer be upset at the person who is naked then that person has emotional issues.

That is to say, the person who is upset by something is the person with the issue, not the person "causing" the upset, because that person chooses to let their emotional state to be dictated by others.

[ 01-20-2005, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #50
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Dressing like a Nazi, even if you aren't one, breaks no laws (at least here) and has nothing to do with someone walking into a store naked, which does violate decency laws. Should a customer be upset at the person who is naked then that person has emotional issues.

That is to say, the person who is upset by something is the person with the issue, not the person "causing" the upset, because that person chooses to let their emotional state to be dictated by others.
That's one heck of a controversial statement Azred! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just because I get upset from the actions of somebody else does not mean I automatically have issues... 100 years ago, the average American woman would probably have been rather upset had a naked customer walked into their shop, and in the present day I should imagine that many strict Muslim women would also be rather upset (just to pick a random current example) - I'm not quite convinced that means they have issues! Would you say that a Jewish person seeing the swastika being worn who gets upset also has issues? I'm not sure that we can link getting upset to the legality of the symbol involved...
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote