Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
johnmerlin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I recently bought an old Interplay - Forgotten Realms PC game called Descent to Undermountain . It is a single player RPG set in the dungeons under Waterdeep. It sounds like an interesting game, but I can't get it to play on either of my 2 computers. One is an old Powerspec in Windows 98 and the other an Emachines T1150 in Windows XP Home Edition. The game will install, but without sound and it won't play beyond the opening scene. The instructions say that the game needs a system configured for operation through DOS and needs a DOS based CD-ROM and Sound card driver installed. Can anyone help me get this game to play?
johnmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Setting up your current machines to run these games is just about possible, but not fun.

Better to use the DosBox emulator to run them:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Although descent into undermountain isnt listed in the databse, so no garauntees on it working.

EDIT]

Or not. WTF is interplay doing putting out a MSDOS game in 1997 that only supports SB family cards? I've seen botched development before, but this is criminal. It dosent help that Interplay's site denys all knowledge of it.

The program VDMSound can probably get round the soundcard problems, but that runs in windows.

DosBox lists descent itself as playable, so theoreticaly a competent conversion of that engine should also be playable. But this dosent look competent.

[ 03-22-2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 03-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
johnmerlin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dear Andrewas: Thanks for your help. johnmerlin
johnmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
DBear
Drow Warrior

Descent from Undermountain was a botch all the way around. It just about killed D&D based RPGs until Baldur's Gate saved them.