Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
Vedran
Lord Soth

A long title...
Anyway, you will forgive me when you cast an eye on this baby here:

Firesuit--a set of items created and used by a mage whose study often led him
into the Plane of Fire. He used these items to protect himself against the
attacks of Fire Elementals, as well as to strike back at them. He was undone
by a rival who specialized in ice magics.

Belt of Fire Absorption:
add 10% to Fire Resistance
removes 5% of Cold Resistance
an additional 1st level spell

Gloves of Fire Absorption:
an additional 2nd level spell

Robe of Fire Absorption:
an additional 3rd level spell

Crown of Fire Absorption:
an additional 4th level spell

Charm of Fire Absorption:
an additional 5th level spell

The charm is the keystone to the Firesuit. If a person equips all of the items, the charm channels their fire energy to the wearer. He gains additional 50% of Fire Resistance, making the bonus 100%. Additionally, he can cast spells faster (-1 casting time) and the heat that the suit emanates hinders attack attempts against the wearer (-2 AC).

I stole the idea constructively altered Olorin's idea, joining it with my newly developed scripting and WeiDU knowledge, and The Firesuit was born.
What do you think? Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Suggestions? Advices? Help? Feedback?

It will be uploaded on my homepage soon enough, as soon as I finish the WeiDU-distributing part. Ah, and I need bams. Do you have a nice redish bam I could use for those items? I will take the red robe that comes with the game, it looks good on Aerie.

Don't worry, Olorin, you will get the credit as a scenarist.

[ 05-07-2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Vedran ]
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:49 PM   #2
spydar

it ends up packing a lot of punch doesn't it? but it's really good that you added a cumulative drawback with all the cold resistance misuses adding up. I think it's really cool, could be part of a quest.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
it ends up packing a lot of punch doesn't it?
Yes, it does, but I tried to make something that won't make people say: "Hey, I am better off with Amulet of Power then with both this Charm and the whole set bonus."

Quote:
but it's really good that you added a cumulative drawback with all the cold resistance misuses adding up.
But it is still nothing. Name me one enemy that attacks you with cold. There are some mephits if I remember correctly, and some mages cast Ice Storm. But it is still nothing life threatening.

Quote:
I think it's really cool, could be part of a quest.
Thank you [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Though I don't think I could make a whole mod, with quests, journal updates, creatures, areas and all. Perhaps once.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

What kind of armour is the suit?

It seems only useful to fighter/mages or thief/mages, and even then, not in all situations. The loss of cold resistance isn't even a factor here. Basically, it's the Red Dragon Scale armour with a boost to FR and Speed factor, and extra spells. It seems overpowered, but in some ways, it seems underpowered.

EDIT: Maybe I was a bit harsh. The idea behind the items is very good. I just don't agree with the bonuses they grant.
EDIT2: Doesn't all armour except elven chain and robes disable spell casting anyway, even in F/Ms? Then the spell bonuses aren't as high... unless this is a Cleric suit? More explanation needed, please

[ 05-07-2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: pcgiant ]
Old 05-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Personally, I think we need to abandon the concept of the more mundane Mage Robes (Robes of Fire/Cold/Elec Resistance, and Knave's/Adventurer's/Traveler's Robes) being wearable only by Mages. I would like to see these same enchantments on Gis, which have the same usability as normal clothing--they can be worn by ANY class, including Monks, Kensai, and Shapeshifters. The Robe of Fire Absorbtion can easily be made a Gi, thus making the full Firesuit available to *all* classes except the Wizard Slayer and Kensai.

About the use of scripting to detect when all components of a set are equipped simultaneously: A very useful trick. I've got a little idea of my own in this vein....heh, heh, heh....

Oh, and there's also Adalon, Frost Salamanders, Ice Golems, and Vampires. And the Slayer, too, if it comes to that.

I would increase the penalty to Cold resistance conferred by the Firesuit, and add the ability to summon Fire Elementals.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:17 PM   #6
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:
I stole the idea constructively altered Olorin's idea, joining it with my newly developed scripting and WeiDU knowledge, and The Firesuit was born.
What do you think? Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Suggestions? Advices? Help? Feedback?

It will be uploaded on my homepage soon enough, as soon as I finish the WeiDU-distributing part. Ah, and I need bams. Do you have a nice redish bam I could use for those items? I will take the red robe that comes with the game, it looks good on Aerie.

Don't worry, Olorin, you will get the credit as a scenarist.
Sounds pretty good Vedran. I'm glad that someone liked the idea enough to run with it. I wish I had the time to develop some ideas for myself, but grad school demands almost all my time.

I think you made it come out pretty well balanced. A powerful set to be sure, but at just the right level to make people struggle over whether to use the Firesuit or if its better to use other combinations of items in those slots (the full suit takes up a lot of item slots).

Six had a good idea with upping the cold resistance penalty; maybe when the full suit is acquired, the bonus 50% resistance comes with another 25% penalty to cold resistance (leaving you at 100% fire resistance, and -50% cold resistance)
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:11 AM   #7
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
I would increase the penalty to Cold resistance conferred by the Firesuit, and add the ability to summon Fire Elementals.
Any way to give a "chance to cast ice storm on target" percentage on that armor? I know fire and ice are opposites, but nobody does significant cold damage in the game, as others have said. As far as pain by elemental damage, electricity comes in at a distant second.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:57 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I think if you instead have the set give 2 level 1 spells, 1 lv2, 1 lv3 and 1 lv4, and you lower the total fire resistance to 100%, it would be balanced.

You could posibly consider raising the ice resistance penalty to 7 per pieces.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:55 AM   #9
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by pcgiant:

It seems only useful to fighter/mages or thief/mages, and even then, not in all situations. The loss of cold resistance isn't even a factor here. Basically, it's the Red Dragon Scale armour with a boost to FR and Speed factor, and extra spells. It seems overpowered, but in some ways, it seems underpowered.

EDIT: Maybe I was a bit harsh. The idea behind the items is very good. I just don't agree with the bonuses they grant.
EDIT2: Doesn't all armour except elven chain and robes disable spell casting anyway, even in F/Ms? Then the spell bonuses aren't as high... unless this is a Cleric suit? More explanation needed, please
hmm...you did notice that the armor is a robe, didnt you?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:22 AM   #10
Vedran
Lord Soth

I forgot - the crown is actually an ioun stone.

Quote:
Originally posted by pcgiant:
The suit is a set of five items. The item in armor slot is robe.
It was originally designed for mages (evident from its history), but I am open to suggestions (hell, that's why I have posted it anyway )

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Personally, I think we need to abandon the concept of the more mundane Mage Robes (Robes of Fire/Cold/Elec Resistance, and Knave's/Adventurer's/Traveler's Robes) being wearable only by Mages. I would like to see these same enchantments on Gis, which have the same usability as normal clothing--they can be worn by ANY class, including Monks, Kensai, and Shapeshifters. The Robe of Fire Absorbtion can easily be made a Gi, thus making the full Firesuit available to *all* classes except the Wizard Slayer and Kensai.

About the use of scripting to detect when all components of a set are equipped simultaneously: A very useful trick. I've got a little idea of my own in this vein....heh, heh, heh....

Gis? What is it? A sort of... no, I would rather not guess. It ain't galvanized iron, I assume.

The script I made is very long, not because it is very hard to emulate such an effect, but because it is basically the same script six times, for six party members.

I intended to give an innate ability to the user, Shapechange Fire Elemental. But it didn't seemed worth the effort.
You'd like summoning. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
Six had a good idea with upping the cold resistance penalty; maybe when the full suit is acquired, the bonus 50% resistance comes with another 25% penalty to cold resistance (leaving you at 100% fire resistance, and -50% cold resistance)
So it will be done. Penalty will be -5 per item and another -25 with the whole collection.

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Personally, I think if you instead have the set give 2 level 1 spells, 1 lv2, 1 lv3 and 1 lv4, and you lower the total fire resistance to 100%, it would be balanced.
Fire resistance is 100% in the end, when all items are assembled. Do you propose to make it fixed at 100%, so it cannot be raised?
As for spells, I will think of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirengle:
Any way to give a "chance to cast ice storm on target" percentage on that armor? I know fire and ice are opposites, but nobody does significant cold damage in the game, as others have said. As far as pain by elemental damage, electricity comes in at a distant second.
Perhaps some other set would have it .
And armors have no target...