Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
Mambonuts
Welcomed New User

I haven't played Wizardry in years.

In Wizardry8 is there an easy way to eliminate the draw-ins of the mountains etc...? It's not THAT distracting...but...

Also...Is there something I'm missing in the battles?

I've only just started the game (I'm in the first dungeon near the waterfall)...but it seems that most of the creatures I have run into, hang back far enough that they're out of range for my party.

It seems to drag out the battles...the enemies just stay where they are and don't always move in on me.

I'm not disappointed with the game, just some observations...

[ 07-30-2002, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Mambonuts ]
Mambonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:20 PM   #2
otter
Elminster

You can move in on your enemies. Use the move button on the lower right, next to the formation button.
Speaking of the formation button, make sure your formation allows those with short-range weapons to hit the enemy.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:06 AM   #3
armakh
Manshoon

Or you can use the keyboard shortcuts. R will walk and shift-r will run. Your party moves when your slowest character gets initiative.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:00 AM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Or use a bow. Then you can shoot at them from the same distance.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:22 AM   #5
Oruboris

Just wanted to add that there are slings in the monestary, too-- none of the casters can use a bow.

Personally feel its very important to equip all characters with long and short range weapons ASAP, in order for their skills to start building.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:16 AM   #6
Rhea
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Oruboris:
Just wanted to add that there are slings in the monestary, too-- none of the casters can use a bow.

Personally feel its very important to equip all characters with long and short range weapons ASAP, in order for their skills to start building.

Oru
No kidding! Not equipping everyone with both types of weapons is a sure way to get dead in the Monastery/Arnika Road, especially if you have a smaller party.

My first 4-person party got slaughtered by the set of crabs up by the gazebo [img]redface.gif[/img] because due to the luck of the draw, there was nothing of interest in the first chest and only one character had ranged weapons. Combine that with a level 1 bishop with no poop at all and you're about to get eaten for brunch.

Even if the characters don't have much skill, having ranged attacks early on really helps. It keeps you from having to close too fast with critters who can nauseate your whole party or otherwise incapacitate them (I remember going through the entire monastery with a diseased character once - couldn't find a potion of Cure Disease to save my life).

[ 07-31-2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Rhea ]
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:52 AM   #7
otter
Elminster

Heh, one of the places where it's a real short reload to get a better Chest. Just start the game over untill what you want is in there, if you have no Ideology that prevents that.
Also, you can start a Fighter if you want Armor, a Ranger for a Bow and some Armor that a Monk can wear, etc. and then recycle them into the chars you want, that have cheaper (or don't need) starting equipment.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
kryptobeats
Elite Waterdeep Guard

the range combat is the only drawback of this game, unless you have all rangers...hummmm
Old 04-20-2003, 04:44 PM   #9
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Some monsters attack by getting in your face. Others, like the crabs and some later critters, have a long reach and you have to move up to fight mano a mano. BTW, the first thing I did with this game is change the movement and pause keys to something easier. I use the second set of arrow keys to the right of the keyboard for all movement. I use the space bar for pause. I don't use any other keys, but have the default set to "run".