Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
IronThroneLoyalist
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Need some major help here, before I go into my problem let me give you some background on my BG2 installation. I have BG2, ToB, Ascension WeiDu mod, and the Bonus Merchants (downloaded from Baldurdash) installed.

Now to the actual problem. I've completed Maevar's quest in acquiring the necklace from the Talos Priestess, however when I return to Maevar to show him the necklace and initiate the next quest (the one where he directs me to Edwin), I get the "Cannot initiate dialog. Maevar seems busy." message. I have had this happen before earlier in my game with other characters, and I fixed those by reverting to a quicksave or autosave, or just leaving and re-entering the area that the character was in. However, those tricks won't work on Maevar. I've even tried clearing out my cache folder, but needless to say that didn't work either.

Can anyone help? I've never come across this problem before with earlier installations of BG2/ToB.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

this is usually fixed by installing the latest patches. Have you installed the latest official Bioware TOB patch. You can find a link to it in the FAQ at the top of the fourm.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Whoa!, ITL, it's been forever since I've seen you around the forums.

Anyways, the only thing I can think of is precisely what T-D-C said, Get the most recent patches. Both Black Isle, and Interplay are gone, but the patches should be available at bioware's website. (My advice? Back up the patch files to a cd should a most disasterous event occur and bioware goes under)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
IronThroneLoyalist
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yep, it's been a while since I was last here, I'm surprised anyone even recognized me! To tell you the truth, I first got BG2 back in 2000. I never had any bugs or problems of any kind with it, so I didn't bother with patching the game. Same goes for ToB.

Would I have to download all patches for both SoA, and ToB, or just the latest ToB patch? Even then, once I've downloaded these patches would I have to start a new game for the patches to take affect? Would I heve to uninstall the mods I've added?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
With ToB installed, just the ToB patch. I'm not sure, but I think for some elements of the patch to take effect you will have to start a new game.

Here's a quote from icelus's thread
Quote:
Originally posted by icelus:
COMPREHENSIVE PATCH AND MOD LISTING FOR BALDUR'S GATE II: SHADOWS OF AMN (SoA) AND BALDUR'S GATE II: THRONE OF BHAAL (ToB)
(You may need to copy/paste the links into your browser's address bar.)

Basic Installation Order: {refer to mod documentation for specific installation order including Game Engine Conversions}

<*Shadows of Amn Only*>
1. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
2. Official Bioware Patch for SoA
3. Baldurdash Fixpacks for SoA OR Sorcerer's Place Fixpacks
4. Other Non-WeiDU Mods (Only one dialog.tlk-overwriting mod can be installed. See the Big Picture install guide for step-by-step instructions)
**OR** Total Conversions (no other mods should be installed after TC's)
5. WeiDU Mods

<*Throne of Bhaal*>
1. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
2. Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
3. Official Bioware Patch for ToB
4. Baldurdash Fixpacks for ToB
5. Other Non-WeiDU Mods (Only one dialog.tlk-overwriting mod can be installed. See the Big Picture install guide for step-by-step instructions)
**OR** Total Conversions (no other mods should be installed after TC's)
6. WeiDU Mods
Hope that helps.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:02 AM   #6
IronThroneLoyalist
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Luckily, I didn't need to download a bloody thing, since I had already downloaded the latest ToB patch some time ago. It had been so long since I played BG2, I totally forgot that I had the patch! I only just discovered it while I was going through My Documents folder!

The reason behind the bug was due to the fact that I have Win XP as my OS. Yep, an ol' XP compatibility issue of all things. The patch I had easily fixed this, and I didn't even have to start a new game. I reinstalled the Ascension WeiDu mod, just in case I lost any of the mod's features (although I won't be able to tell until I reach the ToB quests).