Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2001, 10:00 PM   #1
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

There are a few of us who want to start a multi, and unfortunately I am the only one with a fast enough connection to host. I have no problem with this, other then the fact that I have never been able to make playing multi work with my router before. My Linksys 4 port router has a built in hardware firewall which has pretty effectively kept me from hosting in the past. My ISP is verizon and I have dynamic IP addressing. Anybody know a way around this?
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 11-05-2001, 10:46 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

1) Can you configure your router to accept incoming transmissions from ports 8000-8999? If so, you ought to be able to get others to join you.

When you log on, find out what your IP address is by using winipcfg from the Run command on the start menu. Also, have the participants do this, and then trade off IP addresses with each other. Configure the router to open the above ports and accept incoming transmissions from the IP addresses that the other players have given you. Then start the game, and let the others attempt to join. If all goes well, everyone should be able to "see" each other in the game.

Hope this helps. I've not done too much work with Linksys routers, but this is a common workaround from what I've been able to determine.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-05-2001, 11:57 PM   #3
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Hey Saz, thanks for the help! I looked at my router settings and there is a DMZ Hosting function which allows one computer from my network to be open to the internet. They put that there specifically for hosting. I should be able to make it work now.

If anybody in our multi is online now, I would love to give this a try.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 11-06-2001, 10:43 AM   #4
Lioness
Jack Burton

Hey, guys, I can't play tonight. If you want to try tomorrow evebning, I will probably be able to do it then. Email me...
Old 11-06-2001, 12:50 PM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Let Seph know. I'm not sure if I'll be able to play tomorrow. I should be able to, but I have a meeting that might run late, so I can't promise.