Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Dutch, Danes and Swedes do most for world's poor

Among the world's richest nations, the Netherlands ( ), Denmark and Sweden do most to curb global poverty, a new report suggests.

The "Commitment to Development" index conducted by the Center for Global Development (CGD), a Washington-based think tank, lists twenty-one rich countries according to their development policies in areas such as aid, trade or investment.

Among the EU member states included, Greece, Italy and France feature at the bottom of the table.

Japan comes in last on the list due its low aid donations and high barriers to imports and migrants from poorer nations.

The UK - one of the loudest supporters of the pro-development agenda in 2005 - is 12th in the annual index.

But it tops the table in terms of investment in poor countries and in its global environment policies.

CGD president Nancy Birdsall said there was a "steady" improvement in commitment to poverty reduction in recent years but it still falls short of promises by top politicians.

Washington was particularly criticised as although it donates the largest amount in absolute terms it is the smallest amount in relation to the size of its economy.

Part of the US' aid is also contingent on the purchase of the country's goods, notes the report.

On the other hand, the US and three other non-European countries - New Zealand, Australia and Canada - feature as the best in terms of trade, as their barriers to exports from developing countries are not as high as those from some EU member states evaluated in the Commitment to Development Index.

(Source: EUObserver)
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I would have been more impressed if they looked after our old folks a little more, or the ones at the bottom of the social ladder. Screw those third world nations, it's a bottomless pit anyway. You can't babysit them forever.

Heard about what happened with the earthquake relief funds for Pakistan recently ? Somewhat 40% made it to the people that actually need it, the rest fell into the hands of Islamic fundamentalist groups. Great going guys, we supplied them with enough cash to pose a threat for another decade to come.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I think that a nation should solve it's internal problems before meddling in external affairs.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I believe that was money collected by Islamtic charities in the UK. Most of that money was collected and transported in cash, so it was hard to keep tabs on it. I seriously doubt we have similar problems with most of our aid. And yes, I do agree with you on the treatment of senior citizens.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I still don't believe that dropping a bundle of cash on those nations isn't going to benefit anyone, most of it always mysteriously dissapears into the pockets of all sorts of warlords and other trash. Sending people with the right know-how on whatever it is they need the most, will work better in the long run. That is if the cannibals don't eat them. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

And besides, it's about time someone tells those knuckleheads that you need plows to grow crops, and not friggin AK 47's.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

*nods* my church sends it's aid as actual materiel, blankets, hygiene kits, etc. the choice to me is similar to giving a bum $20 or buying him some food, at least you can be pretty sure the food will be used, and not turned into booze.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Gratz, suckers. [img]tongue.gif[/img]