Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 08:29 AM   #1
Gil-Galad
The Magister

I've played BG I+II and IWD I+II with all extensions available, but my party is always good and consisting of
fighter/paladin
fighter/paladin
rogue
spellcaster
spellcaster
spellcaster

SO to try something new i want to make a party with classes/races I haven't tried that often. Something more exotic...I have thought about the following:

Half Elf Barbarian
Human Monk
Strongheart Halfling Rogue
Aasimar Druid
Drow Sorcerer
Human Bard

Maybe multiclassing the bard into a bard/cleric if possible. And maybe multiclassing more of the characters is cool, I've never played multiclassed characters before...
Any suggestions/opinions/taunting for being the 100000000th person to post this much appreciated!

[ 03-02-2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Gil-Galad ]
Old 03-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

Gil-Galad, you need to look at multiclassing differently from your (and my) experience with it in the 2ed games (i.e. BG1/2, IWD1). It's simply a much different animal in the 3rd ed rules.

There's nothing particuly wrong with your "exotic" party. I wouldn't suggest a bard/cleric MC however. Bards tend to be better off as pure class characters. You don't want to slow their progress towards getting the War Chant of Sith at level 11. Furthermore, 3rd ed bards have access to some healing spells, so they're mildly useful healers in battle.

I'm no fan of monks, but if you want to give one a shot, go for it.

A rather standard multiclass combo is the barbarian X/fighter 4 to get access to weapon specialization.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
Xavier Silvermoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Monks are incredible. Never shun being one. Just the fact that they can likk someone by touching them and walk really fast and cant be sneak attacked is worth it.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
xanderwatts
The Magister

My party is generally pure classed, and good, although sometimes I through some Chaotic neutral or neutral evil players into the mix, just in case I fancy some mindless peasant slaying. It's generally;
Fighter #1 (Fighter, or beserker)
Fighter #2 (Ranger, or paladin)
More interesting character (Bard, ranger, paladin, monk, etc)
Thief
Priestess (for some reason every priest I create is female. Also I recomend Lorekeeper of Oghma if available, the domain selections being excellent
Mage/Sorceror.
I was wondering, if you start your character as a mage, but then give him all the rest of his levels as a sorceror, can you scribe scrolls to your spellbook, and then cast spells with the charisma system?
Old 03-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Your party is going to have troubles to the ECL of the drow and the aasimar. Wait until you play in HOF to start out with a lvl 1 party.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 07:28 AM   #6
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by xanderwatts:
(...)I was wondering, if you start your character as a mage, but then give him all the rest of his levels as a sorceror, can you scribe scrolls to your spellbook, and then cast spells with the charisma system?
No, your character would have two different spellbooks. One Wizard-book, to which you can scribe spells from scrolls and cast them via the Wizardly system of memorizing (but only a few first level ones, because you have only one Wizard-level), and one Sorcerer-book, through which you can cast spells in the fashion of a Sorcerer. Just like a Wizard/Cleric would have two different books and can't use his Cleric-spell slots to memorize Wizard spells. A Wizard/Sorcerer is a very pointless class combo.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote