Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Something exotic (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25176)

Gil-Galad 03-02-2003 08:29 AM

I've played BG I+II and IWD I+II with all extensions available, but my party is always good and consisting of
fighter/paladin
fighter/paladin
rogue
spellcaster
spellcaster
spellcaster

SO to try something new i want to make a party with classes/races I haven't tried that often. Something more exotic...I have thought about the following:

Half Elf Barbarian
Human Monk
Strongheart Halfling Rogue
Aasimar Druid
Drow Sorcerer
Human Bard

Maybe multiclassing the bard into a bard/cleric if possible. And maybe multiclassing more of the characters is cool, I've never played multiclassed characters before...
Any suggestions/opinions/taunting for being the 100000000th person to post this much appreciated!

[ 03-02-2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Gil-Galad ]

Magness 03-02-2003 12:03 PM

Gil-Galad, you need to look at multiclassing differently from your (and my) experience with it in the 2ed games (i.e. BG1/2, IWD1). It's simply a much different animal in the 3rd ed rules.

There's nothing particuly wrong with your "exotic" party. I wouldn't suggest a bard/cleric MC however. Bards tend to be better off as pure class characters. You don't want to slow their progress towards getting the War Chant of Sith at level 11. Furthermore, 3rd ed bards have access to some healing spells, so they're mildly useful healers in battle.

I'm no fan of monks, but if you want to give one a shot, go for it.

A rather standard multiclass combo is the barbarian X/fighter 4 to get access to weapon specialization.

Xavier Silvermoon 03-03-2003 07:16 AM

Monks are incredible. Never shun being one. Just the fact that they can likk someone by touching them and walk really fast and cant be sneak attacked is worth it.

xanderwatts 03-07-2003 05:18 PM

My party is generally pure classed, and good, although sometimes I through some Chaotic neutral or neutral evil players into the mix, just in case I fancy some mindless peasant slaying. It's generally;
Fighter #1 (Fighter, or beserker)
Fighter #2 (Ranger, or paladin)
More interesting character (Bard, ranger, paladin, monk, etc)
Thief
Priestess (for some reason every priest I create is female. Also I recomend Lorekeeper of Oghma if available, the domain selections being excellent
Mage/Sorceror.
I was wondering, if you start your character as a mage, but then give him all the rest of his levels as a sorceror, can you scribe scrolls to your spellbook, and then cast spells with the charisma system?

Sir Degrader 03-07-2003 05:32 PM

Your party is going to have troubles to the ECL of the drow and the aasimar. Wait until you play in HOF to start out with a lvl 1 party.

J'aran 03-08-2003 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xanderwatts:
(...)I was wondering, if you start your character as a mage, but then give him all the rest of his levels as a sorceror, can you scribe scrolls to your spellbook, and then cast spells with the charisma system?
No, your character would have two different spellbooks. One Wizard-book, to which you can scribe spells from scrolls and cast them via the Wizardly system of memorizing (but only a few first level ones, because you have only one Wizard-level), and one Sorcerer-book, through which you can cast spells in the fashion of a Sorcerer. Just like a Wizard/Cleric would have two different books and can't use his Cleric-spell slots to memorize Wizard spells. A Wizard/Sorcerer is a very pointless class combo.