Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
mountain_hare

I'm just curious about what spell would protect me from Cloudkill?

Also, how does Zone of Sweet Air work?

I'm a fan of AoE spells, and I like to make myself immune to their effects so that I can be trigger happy.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mountain Hare:
I'm just curious about what spell would protect me from Cloudkill?

AFAIK there is no way short of magic resistance... the damage is not elemental but magic, rendering most protection spells useless. You can summon undead who are immune to it.

ZoSA instantly removes all cloud spells (cloudkill, deathfog, turnipfart... etc) from the area you're in.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
ister
Drow Warrior

There are various items that WILL make you imune to cloudkill. Anything that protects from all poison damage will do the trick. I don't think that any spells make you immune to poison though.

Or you could just animate dead and use them. Undead are naturally immune.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by ister:
There are various items that WILL make you imune to cloudkill. Anything that protects from all poison damage will do the trick.
I don't think it does does it? I could of sworn that I had Minsc equipped with an item to that effect, but he still took damage from a cloudkill. Maybe it was something else.

Quote:
I don't think that any spells make you immune to poison though.
Only the green protection scrolls AFAIK.

Quote:
Or you could just animate dead and use them. Undead are naturally immune.
Yes they are! Skeleton warriors anyone?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Spell Immunity Choose Evocation
Periapt of Proof Against Poison
Ring of Gaxx
Protection from Poison The green scrolls

~~~~ ~~~~

To a lesser extent,

Mirror Image
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:
quote:
There are various items that WILL make you imune to cloudkill. Anything that protects from all poison damage will do the trick.
I don't think it does does it? I could of sworn that I had Minsc equipped with an item to that effect, but he still took damage from a cloudkill. Maybe it was something else.[/QUOTE]It might have been Death Fog, which deals Acid damage.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Ah yes. Quite possibly.

No. It's occured to me that it was indeed cloudkill because Jan was the one who had cast it mid-fight. Minsc certainly went through the motions of the damage animation, but I couldn't guarantee that he received any actual damage. I just took it as read that he did.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Ring of Gaxx
IIRC, these only grant immunity to the condition of being Poisoned; that is, they prevent you from taking the continual damage from such things as Spider bites, the Dagger of Venom, Arrows of Biting, etc., while the green skull-&-crossbones shows up on your portrait. They do not grant immunity to Poison damage, caused by such things as Cloudkill and Green Dragon Breath, and possibly weapons like the Spear of Withering.

The Ring of Anti-Venom and Item Upgrade's Amulet of Ilmater, however, provide 100% Poison resistance, as does a Cavalier's immunity. These will allow you to ignore a Cloudkill as if it wasn't even there--except that, even with 100% (or greater) resistance to an element, your character will still "hiccup" from the "damage." This is really only relevant to spellcasters, who can still get their spell disrupted by getting hit with an element that they're immune to.

Certain weapons, namely the Corthala Family Blade and Jhor the Bleeder, cause "Bleeding" damage, which is based off of Poison damage--I'm not sure how immunity to Poison or being poisoned affects the extra damage from these weapons, if at all.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Ring of Gaxx
IIRC, these only grant immunity to the condition of being Poisoned; that is, they prevent you from taking the continual damage from such things as Spider bites, the Dagger of Venom, Arrows of Biting, etc., while the green skull-&-crossbones shows up on your portrait. They do not grant immunity to Poison damage, caused by such things as Cloudkill and Green Dragon Breath, and possibly weapons like the Spear of Withering.

The Ring of Anti-Venom and Item Upgrade's Amulet of Ilmater, however, provide 100% Poison resistance, as does a Cavalier's immunity. These will allow you to ignore a Cloudkill as if it wasn't even there--except that, even with 100% (or greater) resistance to an element, your character will still "hiccup" from the "damage." This is really only relevant to spellcasters, who can still get their spell disrupted by getting hit with an element that they're immune to.

Certain weapons, namely the Corthala Family Blade and Jhor the Bleeder, cause "Bleeding" damage, which is based off of Poison damage--I'm not sure how immunity to Poison or being poisoned affects the extra damage from these weapons, if at all.
[/QUOTE]AFAIK, both the Periapt and the Ring of Gaxx set your Poison Resistance to 100%.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #10
ister
Drow Warrior

Well I frequently use the tactic of having a tank wearing the periapt against poison engage in melee combat in the middle of a cloudkill (or multiple cloudkills). So I'm sure that you don't get damage when wearing that item. I don't know for sure about the ring of Gaxx, the poison scroll or Cavaliers natural abilities. I had assumed that they work the same as the periapt.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote