Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 06:04 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Saw this on the news this morning.

A Utah based company called Clean Flicks is cutting nudity, sex, violence and profanity from films and sells them online (I think, but how can it be legal?).

They have replaced the swords in The Princess Bride with light sabers, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, within the movie.

Here is a link to a short article: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/003/48.20.html

Or go right to the website: www.cleanflicks.com

Very odd!

Mark

[EDIT] Add another link: http://www.msnbc.com/news/811957.asp#BODY

[ 09-24-2002, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 09-24-2002, 08:00 AM   #2
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

That is just silly. Who in their right mind would find a movie like the "princess bride" offensive or violent enough to edit out the swords in the movie?? There are some people in this world with some real issues.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:26 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

I know that those people want to clean up movies for children, but if you need to clean up a movie for your children to watch it then [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] maybe they shouldn't be watching it yet.

Personally, I can't stand watching movies that are edited or cleaned up for television. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

Anyone seen the tv version of The Excorsist?

When the demon screams "Your mo..." Wait this is a family forum... any way, she screams about the priests mother, certain mans body part and hell...

But in the tv version it is...

" Your mother is goofy"

Somehow it doesn't have the same... impact [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 08:17 PM   #5
Moni

Aren't light sabers more dangerous than swords?
*remembering the death of Obi Kanobi*

Some people have way too much time on their hands and not enough brains to go with it.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:42 PM   #6
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

*Shakes head* Mormons... dont you live 'em?
Im the same with movies adapted to TV, cant stand them! They butcher the films and then expect people to enjoy them... what is the world coming to?
Old 09-24-2002, 08:53 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

my Uncle just eats stuff like this up, but he is offended by Pokemon and Harry potter, and yet he loved the lord of the rings movie and star wars... What's up with that? I think they're just being racist aganst anything that isn't American!
Old 09-24-2002, 10:38 PM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Deathkiller that isn't racism that's Jingoism.

Yes lightsabers in Princess Bride would be insane.

Oh and one last word of advice, do not confuse Mormons with Christians. Believe me they are two very seperate groups though most Mormons say otherwise. Nothing personal against Mormons I just don't quite agree with them.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-24-2002, 11:37 PM   #9
Gregory Longshanks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Technically, what the company Clean Flicks is doing is illegal. On one hand there is the idea that if you purchase something, such as a video, you can do as you wish with it - such as passing out light sabres (sigh). However the fine print of legalese that accompanies the majority of multimedia asserts that the purchaser may only show the product for personal viewing only (and renting in the case of video stores). But altering a video is a violation of the copyright of the studios, along with repackaging the product in any manner different from its original format. The company Clean Flicks admits that the studios haven't come after it yet - they are small...but that could very well change soon enough. Many studios are increasing their zealous sense of protection over their material from abuse from a variety of sources.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:58 PM   #10
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Deathkiller that isn't racism that's Jingoism.

Yes lightsabers in Princess Bride would be insane.

Oh and one last word of advice, do not confuse Mormons with Christians. Believe me they are two very seperate groups though most Mormons say otherwise. Nothing personal against Mormons I just don't quite agree with them.
I only referred to Mormons because of the fact that Utah it packed full of 'em. I don’t have anything against them and I actually have several Mormon friends that I can debate religion with for hours. I quite like their religion because it shares many of the same beliefs with my own... although my religion isn’t a sect of Christianity and we aren’t allowed to kill people... then again I don’t think you are allowed to kill in ANY religion (not that many of them really pay attention to that part [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) also in my religion we are allowed to drink caffeine while Mormons aren’t... I kinda feel sorry for them....