Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

Has anyone read anything by him? I've just finished Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse and thought that it was hilarious. Totally new approach to writing IMO.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Where do you think I got the user name and all the weird sig quotes! The Armaggedon Trilogy - first class nonsense.

He's my favorite author. If you're a fan check out the Armaggedon books, Waiting for Godalming, and the Hugo Rune trilogy. They're his best in my opinion, although I've yet to read a book of his that I haven't liked to be honest - they're all good!

And whilst I agree that his style of "far fetched fiction", as he calls it, is new in a way I should point out that he's been writing for 20 years now, and his early stuff is really strange. Hollow Chocolate bunnies is actually one of his more linear stories. Whilst its obviously completely surreal its written in quite a storybook fashion, and the rest of his stuff tends to be rather more chaotic than that...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I never heard of this guy but I sure could use a fresh read right now. Too many writers are too much alike. So, who prints his books and where would you suggest I start!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Where do you think I got the user name and all the weird sig quotes! The Armaggedon Trilogy - first class nonsense.

He's my favorite author. If you're a fan check out the Armaggedon books, Waiting for Godalming, and the Hugo Rune trilogy. They're his best in my opinion, although I've yet to read a book of his that I haven't liked to be honest - they're all good!

And whilst I agree that his style of "far fetched fiction", as he calls it, is new in a way I should point out that he's been writing for 20 years now, and his early stuff is really strange. Hollow Chocolate bunnies is actually one of his more linear stories. Whilst its obviously completely surreal its written in quite a storybook fashion, and the rest of his stuff tends to be rather more chaotic than that...
I did not know that he had been writing for 20 years, as the book was the first one I had seen from, him and I had been given it by a friend, but now I'll definitely check out his other books.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:37 PM   #5
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

For a more comprehensive view of what the whole Robert Rankin thing is about check out www.sproutlore.com - his fansite. They've got reviews of all his books (although they're obviously slightly biased!) plus some autobiographies (both really stupid and merely quite silly) and a small forum for talking toot.

His paperback books are published by Corgi, but I'm not sure about the hardback. Gollancz I think, but I could be wrong. And I suggest the Armaggedon Trilogy, if you can handle books where the main characters are a talking Brussell Sprout and Elvis Presley...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote