Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2001, 11:32 PM   #1
azeroth

i've created a party of the following: 2 human warriors, 1 dwarven warrior, a ratling rogue, an elven wizard, and an oomphaaz priest. one of my human warrior only needs to increase his presense by 1 to class change to a ninja. all the party memebers are level one. is it a good idea to change to a ninja this early? i can change to a samurai now, but which is more lethal?

in town (valencia, i believe..the default town) i can't enter the mage guild or the townhall/bank. i can enter all the other buildings and join their prospective guilds, but for some reason, the aforementioned buildings are inaccessible..why? do i have to complete some quest before these 2 buildings are open? and in the other town (by the sea), all the buildings are accessible but in order to enter them, i need to assemble a party. but i can't because the inn is inaccessible..wtf?? so, i can't create a party in this town to start with?

during combat, i notice that the monsters that are right in front of me pause when i do...giving me time to issue orders to my party w/o getting attacked out of turn. but the monsters in the distance with their bows can still attack repeatedly..is this a bug? or can i pause combat w/o pausing the entire game? this adaptive-phase combat seemed like a good idea until i noticed this discrepancy.
Old 01-14-2001, 11:43 PM   #2
Moni

The town hall & magic shop buildings should be accessible!
Sounds perhaps like a bad install but I won't swear to that as I am not a W&W techie. Keep checking this post for replies from those with working knowledge of the game.
Lots of players go through multiple roles i.e. Warrior/Samurai/Ninja, etc to get all the spells available, the choice is really yours. There is a thread titled "(something) about the characters you created" submitted by Adam Mage that will give you more insight as to what everyone else is doing with their parties.
I never noticed that monsters in the distance do not follow turn based rules, but they are always in my face before I can ready myself for a good spell match anyway so I dunno there either. I am sure more people will reply to this thread & help you the best they can!
: )
Moni
Old 01-15-2001, 04:12 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Azeroth,

First of all, what is your system? There has been some similar problems with the towns on Windows 2000 machines, which the game does not fully support. You have to do something with the town .avi files (I'm not sure what, but I know they're archived here somewhere, if you do a search on them; use the "Search" link at the top of the page.)

IMO, I wouldn't change to Ninja so soon, because the quest to become a Ninja lies far west of the second town Ishad N'ha. If you can, make one of your warriors a Paladin (that quest is close to Valeia) and another a ranger (again, close to Valeia), then make one of them a Ninja or Samurai after you get to Ishad N'ha.

The monsters in the back will fire their respective turns, but should stop firing after they get their strike in. However, check your options setting and make sure the slider is all the way set to Slowest (Turn-based) on combat. If it's in the middle, you may be getting a hybrid of both.

The only town you can create characters in is in Valeia. Later, you can move them to other towns, but Valeia is the only place that you can actually create a brand new character.

Hope this helps!

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 04:23 AM   #4
azeroth

yes, you're right. i was running the game under w2k. i've got a dual boot machine and the game runs normally under w98. i'll have to adjust the slider for a more turned-based combat. thanks! right now, i'm stuck under the crypt in the old cemetery. i've talked to the man who eats rats. i see the key that i think i need behind the bars underwater- just out of reach. i've examined every portion of the level i'm on (i think) but have failed to find a way out...help?
Old 01-15-2001, 06:45 AM   #5
Xignal76

In the room east of Rethpian is a chest with a "bauble stick" which can be used to get the crystal. You'll get the key (from the other side of the grate) later.
Old 01-15-2001, 01:54 PM   #6
Moni

I was totally clueless in this area after getting the bauble stick & the crystal until someone clued me in to the Online Help File in your W&W programs menu...check it out! It will help you through the beginning of the game (the Crypt) & have you yelling for more!
: )
Moni
Old 01-15-2001, 04:19 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Azeroth, I just remembered: You have to uncompress the .avi files to get it to run in Windows 2000. It should run fine then.

-Saz
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 04:43 PM   #8
azeroth

hey thanks for the tips guys. i can't tell you how much it makes a game more enjoyable with all the help available from this board. kudos!

i'll have to read the online help files so i iknow how to use those items.