Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
Gung Ho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I appear to hit a problem with the Rapax King.

Having spent weeks playing Wizardry 8 and having no previous experience of the earlier games, I have found some of the gameplay rather confusing.

My party is now about Level 23 - 24. Having collected the Astal Domini, Chaos Moliri and the Destinae Dominus, I started Rapax Rift but after meeting Al-Sedexus decided to go back and complete a couple of areas before going deeper into Rapax Rift.

I managed with difficulty to deal with the temple in the South East Wilderness then decided to have a look at the Wilderness Clearing. To my amazement, it had unexpectedly changed. The Rapax were now there as well (also the Umpani and T'rang hostages). I was told that I had to be a Templar whatever that meant. I found the Rapax Prince and Rapax King and attempted conversation - to no effect.

I went back to the rift and with a huge amount of effort finally dealt with that and became a Templar. Ferro Rapax told me that the Rapax King wanted to see us.

Leaving the Rapax area, I discovered that I was expected to kill Al-Sedexus as one of party was cursed. So the bitch died - ha ha !! On my return to the clearing, my status was now "Friendly" with both Rapax Common and Rapax Templar.

When I arrived at the King's tent, the King still appeared to be Indifferent (yellow smiley). The dialogue was "Leave my tent, you have been commanded". This was the same dialogue I had encountered on the previous visit.

I have checked with a walk-thru and I should apparently have been asked to interrogate the prisoners and be given a Compound Key. (Incidentally I have tried killing the king and that key is not in his possession)

Is there any way I can get the King to talk to me? Is there anything I should do, say, wear etc? Or have I found a program glitch and am now stuffed.

I don't think I could bear to have kill 3.5 million Rapaxes again !!!

Please help
Gung Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

when you kill al sedexus, did you kill the rapax teplar she spawn as well?

try this trainer, it will make the king green again. and may talk to you. I know this is cheating but you are so near to finishing the game.
http://www.cheatnexus.com/index.php/...%208%20Trainer

however, since you have the 3 artifacts, how about just go to acension peak to finish the game?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:22 AM   #3
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

You can just play on, i don't think you won't miss anything important.

You don't need the key from the king. Just use the rocky track (where Rex was earlier) to get to the prison area without the key.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:21 PM   #4
Gung Ho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for your efforts Kakero and Wereboar - I am afraid I have had no luck with your suggestions

Somehow or other I seem to have managed to make the Rapax King "Neutral" towards me and to get the proper sequence he needs to be "Friendly"

Kakero - I went back to Rapax Rift and returned to the Wilderness Clearing with a "Hexed" character and Al Sedexus still alive. The King was still "Neutral". I then tried the link to the "trainer" you suggested and it no longer exists - so I was unable to try it on the save file.

Werebear - I had already been in the stackade and opened the gate from the other side. I believe that the Stockade Key is needed to open the Prison where the T'Rang and Umpani are held rather than the outside gate. As the King hadn't given me the key I wondered if the guards had one. I started a fight with a guard and his 3 friends and YES he dropped a Stockade Key. I went up the ladder and found that when I tried to use it I got the "On second thoughts - you might need this later message" - so the door remains locked. (by the way - is there any way of pickpocketing a non-speaking character without killing him first?). After killing the 4 of the Rapax I went to see the king again but met a party of 27 hostile Rapax and decided to give in.

The program has been written to stop the player performing "Action A" until "Event B" has occurred. When you get out of sync - this sort of problem occurs.

I suppose I may have to cut my losses and skip to the end. It seems such a shame to do that. The rescue is surely the last of T'tang and Umpani tasks and probably will net a lot of points. I also wanted to know what the 2 new NPC were like. I just feel a bit cheated.

I suppose that I am really too late in starting this 15 month old game and that people have moved on to other games. However I did find it strange that unlike most games the walkthrus for this one have all been rather incomplete - some missing out side quests and others having incomplete lists of items.

I was unable to find an effective editor - to stick the key in my possession - not that this would helped

Also I found some walkthrus refering to musical instruments (Chromatic Lyre, Bullroarer, Cornu of Demonspawn etc), gadgeteer ingredients (Electric Eye, Loudspeaker, High Voltage Transformer) and other objects that don't seem to exist in the the 2.4 version I am using.

This has been a strange game.

Thanks again for your help
Old 02-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #5
jsalsb
Elminster

------
Quote:
I went up the ladder and found that when I tried to use it I got the "On second thoughts - you might need this later message" - so the door remains locked.
------

You have to get close enough to the lock. The hot-spot on this lock is very small (I got that message the first attempt because I missed the hot spot and the game thought I was trying to drop the key).

In my game, I got the key from the king, used it on the outside door to the tree stockade, and the prisoner (I forget whaich one) told me to go down and get the cell key from the guard. I found however, that just recruiting him while talking through the bars was good enough -- odd...). Actually, I don't think you are meant to be able to speak to the prisoners withought opening the individual cells, but I just kept rocking back and forth outside the doors untill I could get close enough to make them green, then I clicked on them. This worked and let me recruit.

It also makes the rapax immediately hostile, and you have to fight your way out. But that's the plan.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:44 PM   #6
Helix
Dungeon Master

Gung Ho, not that I advocate cheating, but here is a link
to some editors/trainers.

http://www.wizardryrealms.com/

Helix
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:07 PM   #7
Solomon
The Magister

Gung Ho, don't skip it, you've got what you need. Get right up on the lock and try the key that you got from the guards. Once you find the spot (it, and the one for the Queen, are very small) you're in.

Then collect the boys and go give the king what he deserves for being so difficult.

There's no need to edit/cheat.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:27 PM   #8
Gung Ho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well Done JSALSB and SOLOMON

You are dead right. I should have guessed about the keyhole being difficult to open.

It took quite a bit of time trying to line up my party correctly - but the keyhole finally accepted the key. The same was also true of the Queens' Cave key. I had encountered this problem before in the Kings Bedroom - but hadn't realised it - I just assumed that the key open at the "right" time.

I assume that a glitch must have occurred to get me into this situation - because the "quest" is still active - but I have now completed all the Umpani / Trang / Black Ship subquests and am on my way to Ascension Peak.

So thank you both

Thanks also Helix - when I finally finish the game, I will have a look at the trainer program and see what is available

I will close the strand now

Gung Ho (my Oriental Human Engineer)