Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2001, 02:54 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Comments, constructive criticisms, error reports and such will be appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img] You can access the spell lists through the links in my signature.

Party SSL has been updated to v1.04

Solo SSL is new.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 06:27 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

U put the following in the spell explanations:

Blur:

Although the -3 to AC bonus sounds good, think about it, how often is your Sorcerer going to be engaged in melee combat? This spell better serves Fighter/Mages and Bards, your Sorcerer does not need it.

The -3 Ac BOnus affects ur enimes to hit with ranged weaons as well. so this comment does not really mkae any sense
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 07:37 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm, I never had problems with enemy archers, but I guess I should cover that point too. I will edit the text for that then, thanks.

[ADD]
Edit has been done, and heh... why am I not surprised that nearly twice as many people are looking at the SSSL as opposed to the PSSL?
[/ADD]
Old 12-01-2001, 08:16 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Cool! Checking the list for a solo sorceror now... I am playing a party sorceror now and I think I manage quite well with that, so the solo list is more interesting...

I was wondering though... do you really prefer Ruby Ray of Reversal to Khelben's Warding Whip? The latter keeps on removing different protections, starting with the highest in level, and that sounded great to me so I use this spell a lot. If I'm not mistaken, Ruby Ray only removes one protection. Maybe you picked it because it removes Spell Trap (not sure if KWW does so but since you didn't pick it I assume it doesn't) but I haven't seen *that* many Spell Traps used...

Also, I found Breach very helpful in the beginning. I know you have no use for it later on as you have more powerful breaching spells then (TOB SPOILER...............plus you get a Wand later on that takes care of it) but in the first chapters of the game, it will be the only spell of that kind you can use, and if you don't have it, how will you dispel other mages' protections?

Just wondering...hope you can help me out with those two [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2001, 09:01 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

sorcerer system is severely flawed in BGII
as we all know, BGII is not AD&D. in AD&D, a sorcerer is likely to fare worse than a mage would.

first of all, a sorcerer doesnt progress spells through studying. so where the hell does he get all those neafty spells? he wouldn't even know the names.

things like Melf's Meteor, Horrid Wither are all created by real wizards. so how can he innately learn those spells? nope. those should be disabled.

as a matter of fact, all spells are created by wizards (most of them during arcane age, such as finger of death, time stop, imprison, even magic missle)

a sorcerer should have a different spell list
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 10:02 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I was wondering though... do you really prefer Ruby Ray of Reversal to Khelben's Warding Whip? The latter keeps on removing different protections, starting with the highest in level, and that sounded great to me so I use this spell a lot. If I'm not mistaken, Ruby Ray only removes one protection. Maybe you picked it because it removes Spell Trap (not sure if KWW does so but since you didn't pick it I assume it doesn't) but I haven't seen *that* many Spell Traps used...

Ruby Ray of Reversal( RRoR) can remove one spell protection of any level, Khelben's Warding Whip( KWW) removes 3 spell protections of level 8 and below. This means that KWW cannot remove Spell Traps. Also, the main advantage of KWW is that it can disrupt the target's spellcasting. However, when I get Time Stop, I can do all kinds of nasty things to the enemy Mages before the Time Stop runs out. So I need to remove the Spell Trap while still in the Time Stop, this where RRoR comes in. When the Time Stop runs out, his Spell Trap is removed and my spells can hit him. If he also has Spell Shield and/or Spell Turning, I just need to cast RRoR multiple times; but you know, this is only applicable when I am not using Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting( ADHW), because I can cast ADHW around the enemy Mage and still whack him. So I usually use RRoR when I fight bosses, like Dragons, because I want to hit him/her/it with everything I got. RRoR is more of a luxury spell for me, my staple is ADHW.

Also, I found Breach very helpful in the beginning. I know you have no use for it later on as you have more powerful breaching spells then (TOB SPOILER...............plus you get a Wand later on that takes care of it) but in the first chapters of the game, it will be the only spell of that kind you can use, and if you don't have it, how will you dispel other mages' protections?

Surprisingly, Breach is almost useless for a solo Sorcerer. People use Breach to remove spell protections that hinder physical attacks, but you are dishing out spells. So the issue of other Mages is a moot point, because by the time you encounter the higher level Mages who finally start using spell protections against spells, you should already have Skeleton Warriors and RRoR. Level 15 is the turning point for a Sorcerer, because he gains the Skeleton Warriors which will tide him/her over until level 18 where he gets Time Stop. Pre-level 15, Melf's Minute Meteors, Mirror Image, Web, Skull Trap and Spider Spawn will tide him/her over.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:16 AM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I'd prefer they make sorcerers more specialized in certain spells than just being "a mage who can cast everything"

say:

lighting sorc (concerning with all lighting spells, 12 lighting bolts to start with, fastest casting.... pretty cool, buahaha, you increase your lighting dmg as you level up.)

fire sorc (massive fire damage, innate fire ability to melt projectile objects, such as arrows, darts. heal by fire attack. burning touch, blah blah blah)

elementals sorc (a sorta balancing between fire sorc and lighting sorc, also does aerial attack)

mind sorc, err... find a better name for substitution: does some mad domination to start with

another way to stand out sorc is to give them some bizzare innate ability that mages dont have, and reduce their casting abilities

whichever way, I dont like the current sorcerer system
Old 12-01-2001, 10:30 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks Dundee! That was succinct and clear [img]smile.gif[/img]

250 - I'd hate to see such a fire sorceror try to battle a creature with 100% fire resistance...
Old 12-01-2001, 10:38 AM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Thanks Dundee! That was succinct and clear [img]smile.gif[/img]

250 - I'd hate to see such a fire sorceror try to battle a creature with 100% fire resistance...

you can find perfect everything
Old 12-01-2001, 02:03 PM   #10
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Excellent list, Dundee. It's amazing to have a lot of differences between spell choices and still get about the same results. I probably should have waited to get imprisonment, instead of my mazing then laying skull traps. As I stated in a previous thread, I'm sure I'll regret my lack of pierce shield. Awesome work. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

You've already conviced Fuzzy Animal and I to solo a sorcerer. How many more do you think will try it now? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote