Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 11:31 AM   #1
Meanal
Dungeon Master

I would just like to know who has the strongest attacks out of the warriors and the monks
Old 01-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

That totally depends on weapons, profs, etc.
But the standard monk, is much better then an unarmed fighter, for an example.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 02:31 PM   #3
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Yes, A monk is pretty much unstoppable at higher levels, if he uses his fists..
But, a fighter can wear armor, the monk cannot..
It depends on how you want to play really..
And remember, the monk is really difficult at low levels..
Old 01-28-2002, 06:14 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

A monk with 19 or more strength equipped with a certain girdle (which gives +3 or 4 to fist damage) is absolutely unstoppable.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:50 AM   #5
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Never played as a MOnk and I don't like the concept. The fact that you cant wear armour is a real downpoint. A fighter Half-orc, with an AC of -8 without drow armour and a kick rs sword will really hurt the enemy. More so than the Monk at the same level. No competition.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:54 AM   #6
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Sorry, I wasn't on the point. The fighter has been known to do up to 60 dammage in a single hit (with the silver sword it can kill anyone in one hit). I dunno about the Monk, but with a maximum of +5 fists (which cant kill, only knock out) I dont think that you can do any real killing dammage.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
Nifft the Nimble

quote:
Originally posted by Barlik Longbeard:
Sorry, I wasn't on the point. The fighter has been known to do up to 60 dammage in a single hit (with the silver sword it can kill anyone in one hit). I dunno about the Monk, but with a maximum of +5 fists (which cant kill, only knock out) I dont think that you can do any real killing dammage.

Monks can do similar damage, I mean think about it:

Fighter's weapon does 1-12 base damage AT MOST.
Monk's weapon (fist) does 1-20 base damage.

Then add on the strength and weapon bonuses:
Monk +4 Gauntlets of *mumblemumble*, fighter +3 Silver Sword.
Monk +7 strength damage, fighter +7 strength damage -- whatever it is, it's the same strength bonus.
Fighter +3 Grandmastery in weapon bonus.

Both monks and fighters can attack up to 5 times per round, so let's just focus on a single attack:

Monk: 1-20 + 4 + 7 = 12-31
Fighter: 1-12 + 3 + 3 + 7 = 13-25
That's if the Monk's fist counting as a +4 weapon does NOT give a damage bonus ... if it does, the monk wins by an even larger margin.

The one area in which monks lose out is elemental damage. A fighter with the Flail of Ages or the Dragon's Breath halberd will do damage even to a stoneskined mage, while a monk will only inflict "normal" non-elemental damage.

And contrary to how normal fists behave, a monk's fists are deadly weapons, able to slay and even blast into little foe-shaped bits.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:35 AM   #8
Meanal
Dungeon Master

Thanks for your help now just a tinsy winsy little question, is the Monks fist and the gsunltlets of mumble a blunt weapon or magical so i can hit an iron and stone golem