Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

For US citizens...This is the official website to opt-out of getting credit or insurance offers in the US mail. It is seperate from the opt-out for phone-call solicitations. You can choose to be free of mail for five years or permantently, If you do not want to use the internet to enter your information, you can also call the phone number that they provide on the website to do the same thing. Just for a side-note, you can also reactivate your mailings on the same page, or same phone number if you decide you like that sorta thing.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Good find, thanks Larry. I've recently learned that once you get an excellent FICO score, these offers come in the mail at a rate of 3-4 a day sometimes.

A total waste of paper to be sure, because I use Bankrate.com to compare rates and features and chose the cards I want, not the ones they want to give me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now before I enter some seriously confidential info at that opt-out site, are we certain it is legitmate? I couldn't find a link to the homepage. I'm overly cautious about entering my SS # anywhere that I can't triple-cross check legitimatcy.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Nevermind, Bankrate mentioned this site in an article about opting-out here:

http://www.bankrate.com/gookeyword/n...20050803b1.asp
Old 08-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Are you guys sure this is safe? I don't feel too comfortable giving out my SS#.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
If you want to be absolutly certain contact one of the credit agencys listed directly via phone and ask.

I think it's legit, I may check it out some more before I sign-up though.

[ 08-20-2005, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 08-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

This link gives you what some people have experienced with this service.
http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../11/11737/1557
Here's what Snopes has to say about it
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/credit.htm
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Good call. But 'sageridder' has supplied the snopes say on this.
Now, another way to think about it. If you choose not to use an automated system, and wish to speak directly to individuals, you have chosen to introduce the possibility of your SSN being written down, kept, and or tossed out in regular trash.

SSNs, bah. It was my service number for 22+yrs, it is my VA account number along with my Retire Dental, and Tricare for life account number, for, well life. So, it's not like it's posted on all corrospondence, all program cards, and again on my retiree ID card. So, bah whats another agency? - Good Call!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Clark Howard, a financial advisor on national radio is the person that first pointed me to this site and telephone number.

Looking over the snopes report, I did not see that they say anything about it being unsafe...just that contrary to popular belief, credit info is not given to anyone who wants it...and that the guidelines for doing so have become stricter recently.

I still believe that this system will reduce the amount of trash that comes to my address. Mostly because I trust Clark Howard, who some of you may have heard of. Half of his show and website are devoted to protecting people from scams and ripoffs.

quoting from his website:

Mar 18, 2005 -- Eliminate credit card pre-approvals
It’s important that you shut down credit card pre-approvals in general to prevent identity theft, but it’s even more important if you’re planning to move. That’s because the companies continue to send pre-approvals to your address even if you move. Identity thieves can simply grab those forms out of your old mailbox and fill them out, pretending to be you. They then rack up all kinds of charges on “your account.” So, be sure you OPT OUT of those pre-approvals now! When you do, you can either opt out permanently or for five years. You can either call 1-888-5-OPT-OUT or go to optoutprescreen.com. It won’t eliminate every pre-approval. Frequent flier cards and hotel points cards are not blocked, for example. But it will take care of most of the offers you would have received.

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/7/40/

[ 08-24-2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeh, I was all into it until I saw the SSN thing. no way.. yet. I'll check into this before I do that. Shit man, I still get visa and crap for my DAD and he passed in 1993. come on..

I wonder just HOW many trees are wasted daily on this damn junk mail. such a waste of resourses.

Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I've been able to confirm the usefulness of this website opt-out service now. On my credit report, I have the following message listed on TransUnion's report for my wife.
Quote:
PROMOTIONAL OPT-OUT: This file has been opted out of promotional lists supplied by TransUnion
(Note: This statement is set to expire in 08/2010.)
I registered in 2005, and it says that the opt-out will expire in 2010, five years from when I set it up because I have not yet opted out permanently.

[ 03-06-2006, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]