Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

It says in the game that Monk/Palemaster is a very potent character...but that combo doesn´t exist or does it?...I thought I needed to be a spellcaster to become palemaster
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I been testing this class combination out for a while now..

Like most any combination the base class is the real power - in this case a Monk. Take your character to level 20 as a Monk first.

yes you do need to take 3 levels as a wizard or sorcerer b4 you can class change to a palemaster - so that makes its use more limited, particularly considering that the truely worthwhile attributes occur at top-end of the palemaster's 10 levels.

Still though, at very high levels (32-33) this is an extrodinarly strong class combination w/out taking into account anything your 3 levels as a magic class provide you (and the biggest thing there is the use of magic scrolls).

When you reach level 10 as a palemaster (in conjunction w/ your 20th level Monk) you essentially become immune to any magical effect (even if your spell resistance is lowered provided your reflex saving throw is good), AND critical hits. Of course you also are increasing your AC by +6 so you become even tougher to hit.

When I created my character I didn't concern myself with charisma (for the 3 levels as a sorcerer) beyond 10 points. Instead plow in points to constitution (16 starting) so you achieve 21 constitution by level 20 - to start getting epic damage reduction. Also I selected several elemental damage reduction feats (5 in fire, cold, and electrical I think) - again with the concept of making the character totally or at least partially immune to everything..

In a null-magic zone this character is unbeatable (and close to that in a wild-magic zone).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Monk/Wiz/Palemasters are lots of fun. You can be a very scary melee bad-ass or find a nice balance between melee/spellcasting. It depends on how you choose to style the build.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
AnS
Welcomed New User

Well I have tried building this character composition.

I am now at monk 20/ Sor 3/ Palemaster 10.
My question is, is it better to make it monk 20/ Sor 3/ Palemaster 17 or monk 20/ Sor 10/ Palemaster 10???
AnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

If your interested in arcane magic, the latter. But it will still be a very weak spellcaster since the palemaster levels don't count towards the total like they damned well should. Level 10 magic is going to be pretty pitiful in an epic level module, although spells like cats grace, endurance and so on are always useful. But if you really want a magic using monk/PM, cut down the Monk levels and bring your sorc levels up to 15 or 20, where at least you get decent damage out of FireBrand and Delayed Blast Fireball. Your DCs will leave a little to be desired, but thats the cost of a multiclassed spellcaster.

For melee, go monk(27)/sorc(3)/PM(10) since the PM beyond level 10 only grants extra spells, a few HP and some AC. Actualy the AC might be worth it. Anyway sunce the caster level is only 3 in this build, virtualy nothing is worth casting aside from the aforementioned buff spells and even then, they will have a shorter duration than you would want. With this build you could do well out of ignoring CHA altogether.

[ 02-24-2004, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 PM   #6
AnS
Welcomed New User

Thanks andrews. I was thinking of melee rather than spellcaster. Cause for spellcasting I prefer to use Red Dragon Desciple with Sorcerer or Wizzard as combos.

So MONK and PM as prioroty. ROger that.
Cheers,
AnS
AnS is offline   Reply With Quote