Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 02:05 AM   #1
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

It seems that everytime I get caught stealing, I am relentlessly attacked by the ruggedly handsome Flaming Fist officers. I don't understand why they even bother reducing the party's reputation for stealing when the game is pretty much over unless you reload? The first thing that happens is that I have to fight the Flaming Fist Gang and my reputation goes down to 1. Once that's happened, I am hunted. Obviously, the only thing I can do is reload and try to steal the item again until I am successful. This takes all the fun out of pickpocketing and just plain stealing. Is there some other way that you don't have to fight the Flames if you get caught stealing?

Also, this must be a bug... When I go into shops and look at what's on the shelves, often the reaction is if I had stolen the items, though I left them on the shelf. I guess window shopping is really frowned upon on the Sword Coast? It doesn't make any sense- if I see a nice pair of shoes, I will look at them. Looking at them and stealing them are two different things, at least I had thought they were.

Katherine
Old 12-03-2001, 02:08 AM   #2
Campino

I can only say one thing; don't get caught.Buff up your pickpocketing,and use potions of master thievery.That should prevent you from getting caught.

Good luck
Old 12-03-2001, 06:54 AM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

About stealing, you can just run out the house, the soldiers wont follow you, and your reputation will stay the same.

About "window shopping" [img]smile.gif[/img] , true, its realy frowned. I dont know if its a bug or not, but its a fact that you cant even open a chest to look what´s inside
Old 12-03-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
Spacemoose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always ensure I have a potion of invisibility handy or if no one is looking Hide in Shadows, until the Flamin Fist come up and speak to you they are not hostile and you can still Hide in Shadows. Of course if you do speak to them and they go red, you can't hide.

Happy stealing, and those shoes really suit you.
Spacemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 01:53 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I couldn't agree more with not getting caught. NEVER try to pickpocket or shoplift unless your pickpocketing skill's at 100%. Having 100% Stealth is nice too, because if someone does see that you picked a chest and calls the guard on you, you can disappear instantly. (Note: In ToSC, you'll need more than 100% Stealth if it's a decently-lit area. I think I got my primary Thief up to 175% (whatever the maximum is, plus the Boots and Shadow Armor) last game; he could usually Hide In Shadows in the middle of a flat meadow in broad daylight.

This is my BIGGEST Thieving trick, and I've been keeping it a secret for the longest time: I have NEVER had anyone call the guards on me after I've used Algernon's Cloak on them. You have to make sure you get everyone in the area, though--once I Charmed everyone in the house, except the cat. The guards were called. I'm serious! Those 5 statues in BG will summon them, too.

About merchants who yell and scream when you're just browsing: The only one I can remember is the merchant in the big square tent at the Nashkel Fair. I look at the swords on his table, and WHAM! He must either have something up his butt, or it's a huge oversight by BioWare. Probably the latter.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:31 AM   #6
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If your rep drops, you could always try making a donation at a temple. A small amount of gold should get your rep up again.
bavvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 09:38 AM   #7
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

LOL sixofspades, thats true: once i was stealing in a house where there was nobody except a cat, and the guards were called !! Thats what id call a Keeper Cat.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:44 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

hehehe

i was having a peek with what this guy in beregost (forgot his name) had to offer and his circle turned red... the bastard... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:19 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Well, Bahamut, if you're talking about the blacksmith Taerom Fuirium in Beregost, I know that the only wares has has lying around his smithy are in locked chests.....and naturally he'd get pissed if you wandered around breaking into all his stuff. I just hate the ones that turn hostile if you look at the contents of UNlocked containers.....I think the proprietor of the Elfsong Tavern turned hostile to me when all I did was open her bookshelf to see what reading material she had.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:40 PM   #10
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well Six, didn't you see the sign that said "Beware Of Cat"?
bjornm is offline   Reply With Quote