Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2002, 04:52 PM   #1
whodoyouthinkyouare
The Magister

What's up with everyone thinking Grand Mastery is SO much better than Specialization. I've seen countless people trash Paladins for only being able to specialize compared to their fighters' Grand Mastery. But, reading straight from page 237 of the Baldur's Gate 2 manual, it says the only difference between the two proficencies is a +1 to damage and hit. That's all. Now, I know that those bonuses may come in handy, but it's not something you can't live without. What are your thoughts on this?

[ 08-25-2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: whodoyouthinkyouare ]
Old 08-25-2002, 05:07 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
whodoyouthinkyouare, If you were a girl I'd kiss you, but you aren't, so I'll just keep my lips to myself.

[ 08-25-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

You are correct whodoyouthinkyouare, what more can I add to that?
Old 08-25-2002, 05:44 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I think there's an added speed bonus in using the "Grand Mastery" weapon; in that you get more times to hit per round. That's about all you get other than the +1 bonus.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #5
SecretMaster
Apophis

I couldn't place it better. Well said.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:29 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

There is the baldurdash tweak the fixed grand mastery back to what it should be according to ad&d rules. Which is another +1 to hit/+1 damage. Makes it worth using at least.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:25 PM   #7
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

do you mean another +1 to hit and +1 to damage for every added proficiency above ++?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:14 PM   #8
whodoyouthinkyouare
The Magister

Thanks Saz... forgot about the speed factor. As for Andrewas, I was unaware of this, and while I never use anything but Official Patches (I've had bad experiences with The Sims), I'm sure these people know what they're doing and this is good info. And Ozzman, I THINK that he just means that you get a +2 to damage and hit with Grand Mastery compared specialization, not an extra + every proficenticy point after 2.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:30 PM   #9
whodoyouthinkyouare
The Magister

P.S.- Is it safe to assume that all who replied prefer Paladins over Fighters? If so, I would like to find a fighter's position on the subject, if anyone knows one who would be willing to share.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:29 PM   #10
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I usually play as a Kensai and dual him to mage later on. I can't speak for the other fighter kits as I don't play them. But due to his inability to wear armor and bracers, he gets incredible THACO and damage bonuses as he levels up. At least in the Kensai's case, The Grand Mastery bonuses are pure "Icing" on an already incredible THACO+damage cake! With a good 2Handed sword, it is not uncommon for him to 60+ damage per hit and with the speed bonuses and that incredible THACO, you don't even worry about the fact that he can't wear armor and bracers anymore.
The.Relic is offline   Reply With Quote