Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I've always been a Star Wars aficionado and after playing KOTOR 1 and 2 and waiting for the release of Episode III in the movies, I've been hit with the Star Wars bug again.

I remember playing X-Wing on my 486 in my university dorm room when I was a freshman at uni in 1992 - I nearly failed because I was playing it so much. Worse, my entire floor was playing it - we were all pilots and I actually got told by the floormaster to unplug my computer when I wasn't there as too many people were coming in to play it. It was a classic game.

Anyway, I've played the following recently:

KOTOR I - loved it
KOTOR II - loved it but was annoyed it wasn't complete

So far I haven't played:

Republic Commando
Jedi Knight: Outcast
Jedi Knight: Academy
Star Wars Empire At War (not out yet?)
Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Star Wars Galaxies: Jump To Lightspeed

I may have missed some here. Are these others any good? Which ones are worth playing and which ones should I give a miss?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I played Jedi Knight: Outcast for a while. I didn't finish it, but I liked the part I played.

On the contrary, I totally hated Academy. The Jedi Knight series is using the Quake engine, if I remember right.

Well, In Academy, you play the game in Third Person! Have you ever tried playing a First Person Game in third person?

The worse is that they insist in putting jumping puzzles everywhere and pratically force you to use your lightsaber.

I didn't play Republic Commando yet, but it look nice and is on my "to get" list.

Star Wars Galaxies is a MMORPG, I wouldn't even consider getting it unless you can invest at least 50 hours per week in it, otherwise you'll get nowhere.

I think the monthly fee is 15$ per month, not sure.

[ 04-08-2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 04-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

In the realm of bargain bin Star Wars games, I bet you'd enjoy XWing: Alliance. I played it again just a few months ago. Until Galaxies put out their starfighter part, I think that was the most recent one made.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What about Battlefront?

Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Battlefront is good on consoles, also try Galactic Battlegrounds. It has a full loop of all the Star Wars songs I believe, and has a AOE2 strategy game to boot!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:16 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Galactic Battlegrounds is a reskin of Age of Empire, with the exception that you get some flying units.

Jedi are priests and use the priests buildings, for example.

It's ok if you're not tired of the Age of Empire games.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #7
bladedog
Dungeon Master

Galactic Battlegrounds is OK, but the airborn units are all powerful once you add a few upgrades or build them by the dozen. Its a simple game to beat over and over, simply build big defenses and block yourself in completely, build up your airforce, and go butt-kicking!!!

Personally I liked Academy. The 3rd person view is actually better imho than the 1st person. And as for being forced to use your lightsaber....... you are a trainee Jedi after all.
That being said Outcast is a much better game, better story and much longer, and the opponents certainly have the ability to kick your butt over and over. Its a bit poor until you get your saber, then its really fun!!!
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I haven't actually played AOE or AOK yet. Is Battlegrounds better than Battlefront?

Old 04-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

My top 5 favourite Star wars games...
1.Jedi Knight:Jedi Outcast
2.Jedi Knight:Jedi academy
3.Republic Commando
4.KOTOR 1 (Haven't played number 2 yet)
5.Don't know why, but Star wars:Battle for Naboo springs to mind...
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It's a fun game Memnoch, the campaigns are pretty entertaining. There are campaigns for all sides, the Rebels, the Wookies, the Gungans, the Empire, and the Trade Federation. You also have the option to play custom made maps, and deathmatches. And of course there are the Clone campaigns addon. I played them both and had a good time with em.

Battlefront is a pure multiplayer game, so if you're looking for a game in which the CPU is your opponent, you should forget about that one.