Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2003, 02:18 PM   #11
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

My first experience GMing was with the ToEE (original module) that one of my friends had gotten on ebay, i ran it because he had just finished up an immense campain and wanted a break, it went very well, the Krell must be a new addition because the most dangerous 3 creatures in the moathouse were 1: a giant toad that could swallow characters whole, 2: an ogre, and 3: a priest with some nasty spells (if the priest was killed a 10th lvl assassin was sent after the characters about a month later) but once you got near the environs of the Temple itself things got nasty... but what do you expect from a module that took you from 1st to 8+ lvls

but I digress, the real character killing module was Tomb of Horrors, Gary Gygax himself designed it for the express purpose of taking down high level characters.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:38 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

One thing that really bugs me is the whole respawning thing. I actually hate it when games make you die quickly, and have a nice easy solution to that death. Reload or respawn.

I much prefer games that make dying really rare, or incorporate immortality into the storyline (like in Planescape. It was a kind of curse for the Nameless one) Simply having a ranger that miraculously plops back to life at the same point where they died so they can keep fighting a banshee is ludicrous IMHO.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I agree, Yorick, and that is one of the problems I had with Neverwinter Nights. I also agree that immortality in PS: T was not a convenient or pleasant thing for the Nameless One. Remember that awful tomb in the Drowned Nations where you HAD to get killed at least twice to get through it? LOL, Annah said, when TNO got killed, "Ah, he'll be up and around in a few minutes."
Old 05-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I agree, Yorick, and that is one of the problems I had with Neverwinter Nights. I also agree that immortality in PS: T was not a convenient or pleasant thing for the Nameless One. Remember that awful tomb in the Drowned Nations where you HAD to get killed at least twice to get through it? LOL, Annah said, when TNO got killed, "Ah, he'll be up and around in a few minutes."
I do remember that.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #15
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Arrow

Timber Loftis, were you playing the original TToEE or was it the new Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil? Gary Gygax wrote the original and I believe Ed Greenwood wrote the Return. I'm thinking it had to be the latter if it was in 3E, because the original was written by 1E rules. The original Moathouse, though it could hurt, even kill a character if said character was none too bright, was not really a party killer. I always viewed it as the teaser to a greater adventure just ahead. Yes, the original got tough as you went but any DM has the freedom to modify as he/she sees fit.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:00 PM   #16
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Timber & Yorick you sound like your afraid of death in an RPG?
If you don't like a challange and don't like 3rd ed. rules then don't buy the game,I'm sure not holding a gun to your head. Now me I don't care what the rules are. I like the Idea that somebody has stepped back into the World of Greyhawk. I'm looking forward to playing it and the expansion when ever and if ever it comes out.
I agree with Yorick on one thing Neverwinter Nights was a big disappointment but,I don't believe it was the 3rd ed.rules that messed it up It was the crappy game engine and the half ass way Bioware set up the 3rd ed. rules they didn't follow them to the "T" and the graphics were half ass as far as the constant loading of screens when you left or entered an area.
With TToEE the Developers are using a 3-D version of the Troika game engine that was used in the game Arcanum and that was A fantastic game except for the fact that you could get too powerful to fast! In TToEE you will only be able to get to level 10 if your lucky so power gamers can go play BG-II while myself and the others that were into RPG games 25 years ago will try our hand at the 3ED TToEE and defending ourselves from the Krell in june when it comes out, Hopefully!
Old 05-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Oh, if uses the arcanum or any other overhead view engine (like BG's), I'll certainly buy the game. And, it's not the death of a character I was lamenting, it was the death of at least one, and usually 2, per gaming session. Very annoying.

And RPG's are not CRPG's. In an RPG there is no quick-save before the battle. So, I rely on a DM to make tough-win, but not no-win, situations generally.

Personally, in PnP, making a character takes TIME. And, it's fun to be invested in the character. Imagine the frustration of having to stop all the time, remake and re-meet characters in a BG game.

And, yes, it was Return to the Temple - sorry I got that wrong.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:45 PM   #18
MagiK

The Original 1e versions of The Village of Homlett and Temple were killer modules....you had to have a reasonable DM to have a chance. I remember it seemed like every fight was a fight for our lives..there were no easy battles and in game time we took more than a year to get through it all....what with healing, and leveling and good lord why wouldn't anyone play a Cleric????? No one ever wanted to play a cleric so all we had was potions and bandages. If Im not mistaken there was a third module out in that series as well....hard to remember back that far

Old 05-01-2003, 04:07 PM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
I sure hope Ziroc has plans to start a Forum for The Temple of Elemental Evil. It is suspose to be out before July first this year and I'd rather have a forum for it here then any where else after all the Temple of Elemental Evil was the first real D&D pen and paper RPG ever designed so where better to have a forum for it.
I realize it's to soon to start one yet but from the 20 plus pages of interviews that I have read this game may be the one to unseat Baldurs Gate as the best RPG ever, and that would really be some game if it can do that.
Anybody else waiting for it to be released?
Hell yeah we will! [img]smile.gif[/img] It'll actually be up next Month! We will also have one for the new D.B. Bradley game in the works!!

Old 05-01-2003, 04:08 PM   #20
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Ah... call me a fuddy duddy but I still prefer 1st and second edition rules.
Same here [img]smile.gif[/img]