Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2003, 05:36 AM   #1
Legolas
Jack Burton

Next in the line of the BG trivia is:
The second First Great Pain in the Sides Baldur's Gate 1 quiz: Main Plot

For the questions for this particular quiz, I chose to select only those which can (in theory) be answered by anyone who completed the main plot, even if they did not finish any of the subquests, or completed any one of the missions in TOTSC.
Because there is a lot more to ask, work is in progress on another quiz, which will contain questions regarding the various other quests, and a second purely for TOTSC. Those two may be joined into one before they are finished, but let's focus on this quiz first.

As usual, DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS BY REPLYING TO THIS THREAD. Read the other quiz threads to find out why.
Violators will be mocked with both glee and sarcasm, and posting your answers in the thread will also earn you a place amongst the worst IW members of all times. This may sound cool, but it's not
I could repeat this a thousand times, but that'd be a waste of space. So, I'll just repeat it once.
DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS BY REPLYING TO THIS THREAD.
Instead, send me a PM or E-mail (at legolas_ea@hotmail.com) containing the answers. If you send them by E-mail, do not forget to add your forum name somewhere in the message.
Also, do not forget NOT TO POST YOUR ANSWERS BY REPLYING TO THIS THREAD.
Okay, so that's twice. I'll stop now.

Thanks to Six of Spades for the inspiration, and Pirengle the BNM for not asking the questions I wanted to ask (except for #8 and #27 )

I have to admit some questions are nasty, to the point where they are almost unfair. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I didn't want to have that many questions which are answered in every single walkthough.
On to the quiz:

[ 03-27-2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:37 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Mine! My ore! My prrrescious!

1) Below are 16 descriptions and 16 names of miners you'll find in the game. Connect the right names to the descriptions, for 1 point each.
EXAMPLE: Some miner who wants to set his co-workers free: Rill

a) This miner was actually a bard once:
b) This miner thinks there's a dragon in the mines:
c) This miner wants to have his dagger back:
d) This miner is the only sober (and the most realistic) one around:
e) This miner is mercilessly butchered:
f) A miner who welcomes you, and brings you to his friend:
g) A miner who actually enjoys hitting rocks with his pick:
h) A miner who informs you of the presence of a plug:
i) A miner who asks you to return a dagger to another miner:
j) A miner who happens to be claustrophobic:
k) The miner who wants to report bad behaviour to the guards:
l) The miner who is seeing ghosts:
m) The miner who warns about adventurers going down, but not coming up again:
n) The miner whom you can tell to flee to safety:
o) The miner who owes his life to some now-deceased guards:
Miners: Andarsson Beldin Bob Canticle Cory Dilak Dink Faber Gord Kylee Lesley Marvin Phaersis Rill Ruffie Tipian

2) There is a 17th 'special' miner, the one who helps you remove the plug in the Cloakwood mines. 3 points for his name.

3 )What phrase is used to say the Dread Lord's name in prayer? 1 point for this deNoobering answer.
a) By the black hand of Bane
b) By the knife of Bhaal
c) By the black sun of Cyric
d) With the ill luck of Beshaba

4) Back on ground level in the Cloakwood, the men guarding the mines have built a stable (or have had a stable built). One point if you can say how many of what animal the stables contain.

5) In the Nashkel mines, how many miners have died in the past few days before your arrival? 1 point for a correct answer.

6) Other than the occasional humans, half-orcs, elves and kobolds, there are but five types of things that may harm the exploring adventurer in the mines of Nashkel. 1 point each, and an extra point for correctly naming all five.

7) Lastly, the aforementioned elf is found at the lowest level of the Nashkel mines. How long has he been waiting there? 1 point.

There's no place like Tome.

8) You will start the game in Candlekeep. If you like, Obi will help you prepare for the world outside by training you in fighting with an entire party. Of course, his illusionary partymembers come with names, and I want to hear all five of them at 2 points each.

9) Another point if you can tell me how many cows there are in Candlekeep.

A short true or false session now, at 2 points per correct 'true' answer, and 1 for each 'false', with an extra point to be earned for correcting false statements.
10) Outside the main library you will find a group of chanters. There are four of them, one voice for each of the four winds.
11) When you return to Candlekeep at a later stage in the game, the chanters are still there.
12) Not counting any possible chanters, Dreppin and his cow are the only ones still standing in their original spots upon your return.
13) Dreppin's cow is named Annabelle.

14) What is the purpose of the initially empty crypt in the catacombs under Candlekeep? 2 points.

15) Name all (greater) doppelgangers wearing familiar faces in the catacombs. Every 2 correct answers will get you 1 point. Giving all the names yields one further point.

16) According to Tethtoril, Candlekeep is guarded by powerful runes. What schools of magic did he say they protect the city from? 1 point for each correct answer.

Now that was a thinker!

17) There are nine 'bandits' carrying names in the bandit camp alone. Describe each one's role, or special characteristics. 1 point each.
EXAMPLE: Ardenor Crush: both 'Leader of the Chill hobgoblins' and 'has a distinct orange/red skin, only red skinned hobgoblin outside' will both get points, but 'hobgoblin with a sword' won't.

Ardenor Crush:
Britik:
Credus:
Garclax:
Hakt:
Raemon:
Taugosz Khosann:
Tersus:
Venkt:

18) When you enter the camp, a movie is played. Match the following activities to the different hobgoblins in the scene. Correct matches earn you a point, incorrect ones cost a point. The final score for this question can never be negative. Note that there are more activities than you'll need.
FICTITIOUS EXAMPLE: Third hobgoblin from the left: roasts a chicken. Hobgoblin hiding behind the tent: Casts fireball on combat dummy, punches bandit in the face.
Activities: Picking one's nose. Drinking some beer straight out of the bottle. Scratching a head. Patting a tummy. Stretching a back. Kicking a prisoner. Playing at cards. Cleaning one's ear. Cleaning one's other ear. Eating a chicken leg. Patting a tummy (yes, you can pick some options twice). Waving one's sword about. Bowing one's head to the leader (you can pick this one 4 times). Warming oneself by the fire (4x).

True or false (for 2 points)
19) The Chill motto is "Chill - by strength of arms".

Of Gates and Fiends.

20) What is the official name of the bridge leading into BG? 1 point.

21) What is Destus Gurn's job/title? 1 point.

22) Who is this Lyle Espejo whom Destus Gurn speaks of? 2 points.

23) Name the six men who attack you on the 6th floor of the Iron Throne building on your first visit, for 1 point each.

24) Name at least three ogres (not ogre-magi) carrying names of their own, for 1 point each, and an extra point for listing three or more names.

True or false (for 2 points each)
25) The City Guard colours are mainly white (or silver), with a lot of red, and a wee bit of yellow as well.
26) When you return to the Iron Throne building in chapter 7, someone is waiting for you on the rooftop.
27) The great treasure of the wealthy city of Baldur's Gate is located in a single container opposite the palace's 5 cells.

Finishing Touches.

28) There is one conversation in the game where giving the wrong answer will literally kill you. What is the name of the spell that slays your main character (1 pt) and with whom do you have this conversation (2 pts)? Is there a way to avoid dying (1 pt)?

29) One of the main symbols of the game is the skull surrounded by tears of blood. It is one of the main designs in the temple of Bhaal, and also appears on the loading screen. 1 point for the correct amount of tears surrounding the skull.

30) Apart from the temple, there is one other in-game location the symbol appears. 3 points if you can name it.

31) There is one conversation in the game where you yourself have to pronounce "Cloakwood" as "Claokwood". 2 points for the 'with whom', and one for the 'where'.

Bonus question:
32) It seems the rings of protection are quite numerous in Baldur's Gate. I want to know where you can find each of them, not including those in the TOTSC expansion. 1 point for each correctly named location, and an extra 3 if you have them all. Correct locations of rings of protection in TOTSC let you afford one wrong or missing answer each, without it affecting your chances at getting the 3 extra points. The points for locations will be lost.

[ 03-07-2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 03-07-2003, 05:38 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

THE RANKING SYSTEM:

0: Noober
1-2: Your pick of either Shank or Carbos
3-4: Phlydia
5-6: Melicamp
7-9: Tranzig
10-14: Brage
15-19: Mullahey
20-24: Volothamp Geddarm
25-29: Alatos
30-34: Tazok
35-39: Scar
40-44: Angelous
45-49: Entar Silvershield
50-54: Reiltar
55-59: Daveorn
60-64: Ulraunt
65-69: Drizzt
70-74: Berrun Ghastkill
75-79: Winsky Perorate
80-84: Sarevok Anchev
85-90: Kelddath Ormlyr
90-92: Thalantyr
93-95: Tethtoril
95-96: Elminster
97-98: Gorion
99-100: Bhaal
101+: Alaundo

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:01 PM   #4
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Can you clarify a couple things for me, Legolas? All ready to take this quiz, just want to make sure I know what you're asking first.

6) Other than the occasional humans, half-orcs, elves and kobolds, there are but five types of things that may harm the exploring adventurer. 1 point each, and an extra point for correctly naming all five.

This is in the Nashkel mines, right?

8) You will start the game in Candlekeep. If you like, Obi will help you prepare for the world outside by training you in fighting with an entire party. Of course, his illusions come with names, and I want to hear all five of them at 2 points each.

Monsters or party members?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

Good questions [img]smile.gif[/img]
It's the Nashkel mines and the names of the illusionary party members. I'll edit them into the quiz straight away [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 08:01 AM   #6
Midget Gems

Good work Legolas, but this is hard. Please can I have some bonus points for knowing the Illusionary NPCs AND taking them through Durlag's Tower.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 AM   #7
Legolas
Jack Burton

Is it correct that I haven't received any answers from anyone yet? (except Sir Tainly, who has not played BG1 for a year)

If yes, I never said it would be easy. The entire point of a quiz is to 'test your knowledge' and see how far you get, not to get a perfect score. If you have no clue, for most questions you can always take a guess at the answer.

If no, I haven't seen any

Midget, can I have bonus points for knowing how you did that?
Old 03-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Is it correct that I haven't received any answers from anyone yet?
Today, I had to write part of a debate on America's policy on the No-First-Use of nuclear weapons treaty, a review of Sweeney Todd, and a buttload of German homework, which I still haven't done. Tomorrow, I have another debate and a paper on the Patriot Act, plus studying for two finals. Sorry, but trying to remember the names of individual miners in the Nashkel Mines, after not having played the game in about a year and half, gets kicked down on my list of priorities right now.

[ 03-10-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 03-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

If you keep this open long enough, IŽll try to find some time.. though time-wise, my days are pretty much like Six summed up.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:39 PM   #10
Legolas
Jack Burton

Hey, no problem [img]smile.gif[/img]
Just wanted to make sure there were no issues with the PM system