Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #71
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:

When I play human characters I try to be realistic...
-if I'm playing a fighter, ranger or paladin it's a male,
-thief/rogue it could be male or female
-sorcerer/wizard is either male or female
-clerics tend to be male (because there is a martial aspect to the cleric role) but I do play female clerics on occasion too.

Once you throw in other races it depends on the race... I think D&D Half-Orc and Dwarf females would make great fighters, and I don't think either of the elf or gnome genders would.
Well this really is sexist. Sure, men on average are stronger, but women can fight as well as any men. Just go at a martial arts or fencing competition, you'll se women are as good an men. Saying women can't fight well is the same as saying they can't work as well as men.

They make good soldiers, too. They have some very good qualities for that.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:50 PM   #72
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

I myself tend to play female characters in role playing games. It allows me to explore the female side of my character (even though I'm not very good at it). I also enjoy seeing females portraited in exotic roles.
Most games play the same for either sex. Everyone sees their sex and the opposite sex differently than the next person. If I made a game that distinguished the sexes such that a female could do this but not a male and/or the other way around then someone else who plays it will see something in it that's not fair and will get annoyed. The game would have to use well known stereotypes and say they are meaning to use them so no one would get upset or be so different then well-known stereotypes that no one could perceive it as being realistic.

Wow now Luvian. I don't see why you are saying Thoran is being sexist. It's a proven fact that men develope muscle mass faster then women. He thinks the stronger you are the better warrior you'd be. Can you say everything being equal the stronger fighter isn't better than the weaker. Besides I'd like you to give an example of the "very good qualities" women have that would make them good fighters without applying any stereotypical ("sexist") opinions.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #73
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I play usually female characters. BUT. I make them human Amazons, or Fighters or Paladins, and always choose the gruffest female voice for them as well LOL. In my mind I'm creating a female character yes, but she's like one of those female body builders! She's big, she's tough, she can crack nuts with her biceps LOL! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I guess I make this type of character so I can remain female, but feel confident I can get through the game with strength and toughness as well.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-22-2003, 07:17 PM   #74
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Um..... Ladyz.... stop it.... you're scaring me.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #75
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by IAmThumper:

Wow now Luvian. I don't see why you are saying Thoran is being sexist. It's a proven fact that men develope muscle mass faster then women. He thinks the stronger you are the better warrior you'd be. Can you say everything being equal the stronger fighter isn't better than the weaker. Besides I'd like you to give an example of the "very good qualities" women have that would make them good fighters without applying any stereotypical ("sexist") opinions.
You don't need to have muscle mass the size of Conan to be a soldier. In fact, almost none of them are. I'm pretty sure women in the military are able to do the same training the men do. I know last time I was in a martial arts class, the teacher gave the same training to both sex, all women were able to keep up and some were physically superior to me. What's the difference between a 14 str female fighter and a 14 str male fighter? None.

I don't see how saying women are not as good as men in martial things is not sexist. What you have between your leg has not effect on how good you can be with a sword, bow, or gun. It also has no effect on how good you can be in any given job.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:30 PM   #76
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Um..... Ladyz.... stop it.... you're scaring me.
LOL, don't be scared Johnny, it's just a pretend character (was it the nut thing that scared you? I meant walnuts actually) . In real life I am only 5 feet tall and 100 pounds. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Making that type of character is kinda like making a person I can never be, one who kicks BUTT and smites EVIL! Buuhaawwahhhaaa!!!!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-22-2003, 07:34 PM   #77
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Phew... that's better. 5 feet eh ? I could probably sneak you through airport security in my backpocket.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:04 PM   #78
Ladyzekke

LOL, I'd have to learn some serious yoga first I think [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

eeek, thunder, lightning! Bah. Might have to shut down for a bit, sigh, if it isn't one thing, it is another. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-22-2003, 08:40 PM   #79
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I guess one way of looking at the Strength attribute is to take a more liberal approach. Males and females can score 18 strength, either mentally or physically.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:35 PM   #80
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

"What's the difference between a 14 str female fighter and a 14 str male fighter? None".
I agree absolutely! Everything being equal no difference between them.
What's the difference between a 18 str male fighter and a 14 str female character? All other things being equal. Which will do more damage? which can wield more (bigger) weapons and armor? (which make bigger targets... hey wait a minute whose side am I on?)
It doesn't matter to me either way by the way I just don't like listening to people calling other people sexist. There are differences between the sexes and people should be realistic about them. That does not make them sexist. Now if Thoran said female characters shouldn't be allowed to be fighters THEN I would be the first to agree with you but Thoran didn't. Thoran simply said the best fighters would be male since they typically have bigger muscles. Disagree with Thoran all you like but don't call Thoran sexist.
By the way I think females make good fighters since they tend to be more agile than men and agility imo is more important. Call me sexist! You should by your definition of sexist.