Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 06:02 PM   #21
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
*sigh* Well, I've cooled down from my "Berserker rage" from my first post. Seriously, though, it has seemed that there has been a barrage of anti-teacher sentiment here. I've been noticing it the past few days.

-Sazerac
Oi! Looney! Calm down. I had a few great, truly inspirational teachers and a few terrible teachers - the majority were somewhere in between. But it's just the way of the world that we disparage them, much as we disparage our parents when we are young, or football referees!

I have one student at the moment. He's coming along slowly - he's on his third lesson at the moment. He's taking an advanced course in sarcasm. He shows great promise!

Denton - what part of Canada is that in?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-16-2002, 06:21 PM   #22
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I had a teacher called Max Denton (shudder) - the man could put us all to sleep in 5 mins. Now Miss Biancotti on the other hand - she kept us all on the tips of our toes - we didn;t want to miss a thing.

So who is this budding "Grasshopper" of yours oh Swami Donut .
Old 10-16-2002, 06:29 PM   #23
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I remember our French teacher, she always came down in an elevator. We would stand in front of the elevator door which had a big window so that we could look under her......eeeerm.... never mind....i'll go now.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:34 PM   #24
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I had a teacher called Max Denton (shudder) - the man could put us all to sleep in 5 mins. Now Miss Biancotti on the other hand - she kept us all on the tips of our toes - we didn;t want to miss a thing.

So who is this budding "Grasshopper" of yours oh Swami Donut .
None other than the esteemed procreator of this very thread! And like Billericay Dickie - he's doin' - very well!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-16-2002, 06:39 PM   #25
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
It does relieve me, somewhat, at least to know that not everyone thinks all teachers are "bad." I do feel for those students who have to put up with do-nothing teachers or teachers from the Abyss, with little or no recourse but to muddle through the whole session with them.
Everyone probably DOES have what they consider a bad teacher, but it all falls down to their opinions on the person. I'm sure that everyone has found a teacher that, in his opinion, hated. Its all in the opinions.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:11 PM   #26
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Don't worry Saz' man...

Anyone who works for peanuts and gets treated like turd by the people they're helping has my respect. I have had some teachers that are incredible (my grade 5 teacher is still a great inspiration) and other teachers that, quite honestly, shouldn't be teachers. I have no doubt that you're an awesome teacher yourself, but I've had my fair share of crappy ones. It seems like the best people for the jobs are moving out of the public sector and into the private sector (or at least private schools.) The starting salary for a teacher here in Calgary is something like $30 000 a year. Housing starts at around $250 000 (ya it's expensive.)

If you're there to help kids and stuff, I admire you. But there are teachers for whom it's just not the right job.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:14 PM   #27
Animal
Gold Dragon

I can't speak for everyone, but myself I don't like or dislike teachers that I don't know. The problem in my area of Canada stems from teachers going on strike what seems like every second week.
Now I understand that education is very underfunded with large classes, out of date equipment and materials and overworked teachers however I believe that teachers should be in the proffesion for teaching not for money. I fail to see how walking off the job on a strike action is going to help the younger generation learn. Sure, it'd be nice to earn oodles and oodles of money, but unfortunately underfunding appears to be the nature of the beast.
I remember as a teenager going through school, teachers did "suck," but at that age everything "sucked" not just teachers.
This post isn't intended to offend anyone, and I take my hat off to most teachers as I for one do not have the patience to deal with 30 teenage or pre teenage youths on a daily basis, but it's the few "rotten apples" of the teaching barrel that ruin it. It's the same with any proffession, you never hear about the good lawyers (I think that's an oxy moron, isn't it? LOL) or the good politicians just the bad ones.
Don't take it to heart, Saz. It's human nature to complain about anything we can, and since a lot of youths don't understand that teachers are trying to help and not ruin social lives, complaining about them is easier. Ask any student in 10 or 15 years, and they'll change their tune.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:36 PM   #28
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

It is one of my better qualities not to stereotype, and I am constantly reminded why I am somewhat different than my fellow classmates (i.e. disruptance, whining, etc.) I am glad you stood up for the profession, as not ALL teachers are "out to get you." The entire time I've been enrolled, I have probably come across 2 teachers who I felt were not there for the right reasons. Multiply that by ten, and you have how many I enjoyed having as a teacher.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:41 PM   #29
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Addendum: My favorite teacher of all time is my current design teacher. He is a multi-millionaire (he was an economist before taking school again) and is in it only because he loves teaching. These are by far the best teachers. You don't have to have passion for the subject (which is what many "poor" teachers only have) you have to have passion for the kids, and the teaching.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:51 PM   #30
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Lol! Where do you live, Animal? Alberta?

Hey saz! I can connect with all teachers; my mom was one! [img]tongue.gif[/img]