Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2002, 11:09 PM   #21
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:

...Israel, however, I feel would respond with a nuclear blast to protect themselves. I have nothing against Israel, but they really wouldn't care about any negative reaction from the world community for launching a missile at Riyadh, Damascus, Cairo, Tehran, or Baghdad.
When Saddam was flinging scuds during the gulf war, Isreal had nuclear missles on the pad and ready to launch in retaliation of a chemical or biological attack from Iraq. Fortunately the warheads were conventional and very poorly aimed.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:22 PM   #22
Chewbacca
Zartan

I simply refuse to live life afraid. I think its odd that the worlds richest insurance man wants to make us all a little less secure so we'll pay the insurance companies more to feel a little more secure. A PR stunt for the times if you ask me. I usually take his and other peoples fear-mongering predictions with a grain of salt.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:42 PM   #23
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Quote:
the fact that we used those weapons was the best thing for all concerned.it saved hundereds of thousands of allied soldiers and millions of japanese.because contrary to what the revisionists say,the japanese army was not going to surrender.
Perhaps not, but we didn't even give them a chance. There were several alternatives to nuking two cities, and if push came to shove we could've nuked them anyway.

Funny how America criticizes other countries for careless handling on nukes, yet the USA is the only one who has used them on other people so far...

Quote:
and last of all,if you took every nuke that exists,add them to the ones that have been destroied,and then take the ones that have already been detonated,and gathered them all in one place and set them off the planet would NOT be destroied.the radioactive material thrown into the atmosphere would kill millions if not billions,but the planet would not break up.sounds like you've been reading too much bad science fiction.
Perhaps the planet wouldn't break up, but pretty much every living thing on earth would be eliminated. I forgot, that's SO much better.

Anyway, if we get nuked, we get nuked. I just hope we know better than to nuke in retaliation. I remember some of the nuts after Sept. 11th wanted to kill everyone in Afghanistan, imagine what would happen if we were nuked.

My guess is that this guy is just trying to scare people - I mean, he said that it could happen in 50 years, so if it doesn't happen by then, he'll probably be too dead to care whether or not he was proven correct. Anyway, I'm not going to let nukes worry me - I lived out the Cuban Missile Crisis, for Pete's sake - but a word of advice to everyone: if a nuclear war looks like it's starting, there's a godforsaken rockpile off the tip of southern Argentina called "Tierra del Fuego" that scientists have found would be the last place on earth to be affected by a nuclear winter. So, if some crackpot flattens NYC, I'll see you there!
Old 05-06-2002, 11:54 PM   #24
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonwolf:
i have no intintion of spending my days ,as long or short as they may be, worring about some stupid thing that may or may not come

the truth of the matter is simply this if we do spend all our time worring about an attack that may or may not come then the terrorest have won and taken away our most valuable gift the freedom and securety of of our lives
But if everyone thought like this, it will happen again. I, myself don't sit here 'spending my days worrying' but I *DO* stay informed on what is going on.

Sitting around not worrying is why Sept. 11th happened. (I'm talking about our CIA, FBI and NSA). THEY better worry, and worry hard.

I don't comsume myself with it, but I am damn sure not going to sit here and be carefree and look a blind-eye to what is going on..

Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2002, 12:14 AM   #25
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

mmm... better worry about it now than panic when it blows.
One bomb and we're back to militarised state, high-security and low freedom. A giant leap 300 years backward when democracy was all but a dream.
I think part of this paper is propaganda, like it was done during the fifthies communist witch hunt ( now applied to rogue states, ie. terrorist hosts). But it is still very true. Risks are there.

Why would anybody want to blow America? well, that's the main question. I don't think we can efficiently control every atomic bomb on the planet, but if we ask ourselves this question, maybe it would be a good start to reduce the risk.
I won't guess an answer on this thread, but i'm pretty sure it's not because they hate the american way of life.

And finally, being Canadian, i don't fear the bomb that will fall on a major american city as much as i fear the U.S. probable retaliation.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:29 AM   #26
Luther
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by flibulzbuth:
mmm... better worry about it now than panic when it blows.
One bomb and we're back to militarised state, high-security and low freedom. A giant leap 300 years backward when democracy was all but a dream.
I think part of this paper is propaganda, like it was done during the fifthies communist witch hunt ( now applied to rogue states, ie. terrorist hosts). But it is still very true. Risks are there.

Why would anybody want to blow America? well, that's the main question. I don't think we can efficiently control every atomic bomb on the planet, but if we ask ourselves this question, maybe it would be a good start to reduce the risk.
I won't guess an answer on this thread, but i'm pretty sure it's not because they hate the american way of life.

And finally, being Canadian, i don't fear the bomb that will fall on a major american city as much as i fear the U.S. probable retaliation.
It's not 'The American Way of Life' that alot of these extremists resent, I doubt they could give two sh*ts about America's so-called 'democracy' and all its lovely consumer products. It's the way in which American power is used to bleed resources out of other nations in order to support 'The American Way of Life' that gets people riled up.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:26 AM   #27
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

Damn the Scientists that developed the Atomic Bomb.
The bitter irony being that Einstein, one of the great human minds, assisted in it's creation.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-07-2002, 02:30 AM   #28
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by Azred:

...Israel, however, I feel would respond with a nuclear blast to protect themselves. I have nothing against Israel, but they really wouldn't care about any negative reaction from the world community for launching a missile at Riyadh, Damascus, Cairo, Tehran, or Baghdad.
When Saddam was flinging scuds during the gulf war, Isreal had nuclear missles on the pad and ready to launch in retaliation of a chemical or biological attack from Iraq. Fortunately the warheads were conventional and very poorly aimed.[/QUOTE]Yes, that was an incredible situation. It possibly prevented the conflict from widening. Restraint above and beyond the call of duty from Israel in that hour.

Old 05-07-2002, 02:38 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Luther:
It's not 'The American Way of Life' that alot of these extremists resent, I doubt they could give two sh*ts about America's so-called 'democracy' and all its lovely consumer products. It's the way in which American power is used to bleed resources out of other nations in order to support 'The American Way of Life' that gets people riled up.
And just how do you know this? By placing your feelings onto theirs? What you're saying sounds like plain old western disgruntlement, not Wahabist extremist views. Their worldview, their perception of reality is entirely different to those in the Judeo-Christian west. It is widely documented that Whabist extremists do indeed hate the 'decadent' and 'morally corrupt' American way of life.

You cannot use your own opinions as a barometer when looking at the motives of those holding totally different education, belief, and worldview. You must use their words and actions alone.

I cannot, and never will understand the logic behind their actions because I percieve the world in a totally different light.

Education, knowledge, understanding. These are vital things that determine behaviour.

Old 05-07-2002, 04:48 AM   #30
Luther
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Luther:
And just how do you know this? By placing your feelings onto theirs? What you're saying sounds like plain old western disgruntlement, not Wahabist extremist views. Their worldview, their perception of reality is entirely different to those in the Judeo-Christian west. It is widely documented that Whabist extremists do indeed hate the 'decadent' and 'morally corrupt' American way of life.

You cannot use your own opinions as a barometer when looking at the motives of those holding totally different education, belief, and worldview. You must use their words and actions alone.

I cannot, and never will understand the logic behind their actions because I percieve the world in a totally different light.

Education, knowledge, understanding. These are vital things that determine behaviour.[/QB][/QUOTE]When did I ever say anything about 'Wahabist' extremists? I just used the sweeping generalization: 'extremists'. Personally I'm yet to see any sound evidence that links ANY person or group to the commonly-publicised acts of 'terrorism' (WTC or otherwise). Could've just as easily been white Americans that flew the jets into the WTC. But I'm digressing again... sure it's Western disgruntlement, but that doesn't mean I lack "Education, knowledge, understanding" as you seem to be insinuating. But then, I'm putting words in your mouth now arn't I?