Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 03:51 PM   #21
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Ronn and MagiK, before you guys get too busy carried away with stoking each other's flames, let's not forget: (1) this guy was privy to US secrets for 8 years,

Yep didn't do much with it though did he? but I wasn't purposly flaming just for flame sake, I think the Dems can do better.

(2) The DNC likely doesn't deny him any info he wants,

DNC doesnt see the security brief, most of congress never sees it. The really important stuff really does stay secret. (or at least it did up till 1994, after that I myself was put out of the loop [img]smile.gif[/img]

(3) Contacts exist for all of us in our chosen profession, and

Ummm huh? oh wait, I think I see, but I addressed that above.

(4) one could reasonably assume he's at least as up-to-date as the most up-to-date people on this pages because keeping up with these trends is both his job and, yes, his passion (as with most politicians). If you're saying "Let's be real, here," I am merely agreeing and trying to help you do so.
Right and thats what I said, that we was no more up to date than anyone on here [img]smile.gif[/img] The only reason aside from political and philosophical stances I would think the Dems could do better, is because Al gore, has no real backbone, he seems too easily swayed by public opinion polls and has no real personal conviction...or at least that is my view of him.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:54 PM   #22
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ah.... swayed by public opinion. I like that. I used it to defend Bob Dole's comments regarding abortion, which basically amounted to: "Bob Dole doesn't think it's right, but Bob Dole knows the American people are overwhelming in favor of freedom of choice, so Bob Dole does his best to represent those people." Gotta love his 3rd person self references.

But, I think it's true. A politician's job is to represent my view, no?
Old 11-21-2002, 03:58 PM   #23
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Do you really think that he will be the best that the democrats can find for the 04 elections? I was expecting Daschel or someone, not gore who by then will be so hopelessly out of the loop that it would be like having a completely new guy. I don't mean to dis the guy, but he really is out of the loop and uninformed to the point that he really doesnt know anymore than the average internet aware google user.
I know what your saying, but his perceived insight, as well as the things TL just posted make Gore's thoughts news worthy whether he's actually in the loop or not.

I think he'll get to run in '04. After all, he did get more popular votes than any other man in history. I seem to remember reading that somewhere, or was it Reagan?(**see edit**)

If Bush is still as popular then as he is now, or even close to it, I think the other contenders would be more than happy to let Gore have another shot and bide their time until '08. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

EDIT - Popular Votes Research Update(as if anyone cares...lol)

1st Place - In 1984 Reagan received the most votes ever for a presidental candidate, and won re-election, with 53,428,357.

2nd Place - In 2000 Gore received the second most(official) votes for a presidental candidate, but lost the Electoral College, with 50,456,167.

3rd Place - In 200 Bush received the second most votes for a presidential candidate, but won the Electoral College, with 50,996,064.

[ 11-21-2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-21-2002, 04:02 PM   #24
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
[QB]"Bob Dole doesn't think it's right, but Bob Dole knows the American people are overwhelming in favor of freedom of choice, so Bob Dole does his best to represent those people." Gotta love his 3rd person self references. [QB]
I really like Dole! I like him so much I voted for his wife here in NC...lol.

I still hate that I wasted what could have been a perfectly good vote for Dole on Perot in '96!

Quit laughing, or I'm telling!

[ 11-21-2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-21-2002, 04:23 PM   #25
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Perot: the only man in history out-of-touch enough to address the NAACP as "you people." LOL.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:27 PM   #26
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
LOL.
I warned you, so now...

I'm telllllllliiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnngggggg!

Old 11-21-2002, 04:48 PM   #27
MagiK

Quote:
Ah.... swayed by public opinion. I like that. I used it to defend Bob Dole's comments regarding abortion, which basically amounted to: "Bob Dole doesn't think it's right, but Bob Dole knows the American people are overwhelming in favor of freedom of choice, so Bob Dole does his best to represent those people." Gotta love his 3rd person self references.

But, I think it's true. A politician's job is to represent my view, no?
Not yours no [img]smile.gif[/img] Those of the people who voted for him [img]smile.gif[/img] He should run on what used to be called a "plank" Ie state what he believes in, what he will fight for and allow people whith those valuse to vote for him. Not change his opinion every other week during the election campaign so that you have no idea where he as a man stands. You need to be able to know what kind of person your representative is. (and we won't discuss politicians that flip flop on issues cause almost all of them do to suit their own ends)

Old 11-21-2002, 04:55 PM   #28
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I disagree to some extent, there, MagiK. One of the Brits in Parliament representing the colonies - and I apologize for forgetting who it was - wrote regarding a proposed legislation which would in effect make any colonial ship on the seas without the proper Stamp Act papers a pirate vessel. And, in the days where many British Navy Sailors made fair fortunes off of privateering pirate ships, this was bound to have a big impact. This representative basically said, quite eloquently, "I know I supported this in theory once, but now it has come to my attention that it would have a huge impact on those I represent, who are all opposed to it, and since I represent them, I must do what is best for them."

Hell, if you're someone who is so firmly grounded in their "plank" that you will not budge or bend when it comes time to re-evaluate something, you are obviously beyond growing and maturing as a person, beyond critical thought, and not, IMHO, worthy of my vote.

The reed which does not bend must break.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:10 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I still hate that I wasted what could have been a perfectly good vote for Dole on Perot in '96!

Quit laughing, or I'm telling!

LoL errrr hehehe sorry Bman [img]smile.gif[/img] heheheheh

Old 11-21-2002, 05:13 PM   #30
MagiK

Quote:
I disagree to some extent, there, MagiK. One of the Brits in Parliament representing the colonies - and I apologize for forgetting who it was - wrote regarding a proposed legislation which would in effect make any colonial ship on the seas without the proper Stamp Act papers a pirate vessel. And, in the days where many British Navy Sailors made fair fortunes off of privateering pirate ships, this was bound to have a big impact. This representative basically said, quite eloquently, "I know I supported this in theory once, but now it has come to my attention that it would have a huge impact on those I represent, who are all opposed to it, and since I represent them, I must do what is best for them."

Hell, if you're someone who is so firmly grounded in their "plank" that you will not budge or bend when it comes time to re-evaluate something, you are obviously beyond growing and maturing as a person, beyond critical thought, and not, IMHO, worthy of my vote.

The reed which does not bend must break.
I didn't say you had to be adamant about it, just not whipping back and forth in the breeze so fast that you make a fair immitation of a flag.