Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 02:00 AM   #11
Gregory Longshanks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Although it's fairly smelly, I'd recommend you venture through the arcades along the Seine's banks...particularly near the cathedral. There are several (more than several)sidewalk stalls with seemingly endless amounts of books and other types of literature. Some of them are fairly mundane - others less so. There is also a small little shop which specializes in Shakespeare, but also carries other authors as well. You may have mentioned it - or then again, someone else may have...but the Georges Pompidou center is very nice from an architectural standpoint as well as from the contents inside.

The Parisians have been very polite and welcoming the last few times I've been there.

Happy Voyage.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:48 AM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ah yes I remember those bookstalls! Too bad the only time I was in Paris it was on a schooltrip and we had far too little time - I would have loved to browse some more there.
Actually, I didn't mention this before, but at the time of that trip, Diana was killed in that car crash a mere block away from our hotel! We heard the news before it was even on tv.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:36 AM   #13
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I can't give you any links, or suggest any places to go. I just wanted to be able to tell you before you go that I hope you and your wife have a most safe, as well as a most fantastic and memorable trip! We will miss you!!!
[img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]
Ditto
Old 09-24-2002, 05:54 PM   #14
norompanlasolas

hey mark. ive just returned a couple of weeks ago from a round trip to france for over a month using the almighty interail. i went almost everywhere. started off in barcelona and then perpignan, avignon, nimes in the languedoc area. in provence i went to nice, cannes and monaco. then i headed up to the alps where i stayed in grenoble, annecy and chamonix, just under mont blanc. then i went further up to nancy and metz. after that i crossed to luxembourg and then i checked out rotterdam and amsterdam. it was raining like hell so i made my way down again to paris and versailles. i stayed a few days there and then i went looking for the atlantic and some sun in nantes and la rochelle. i finished it up in the french pays basque in bayonne, biarritz and anglet, the surfer paradise.

best thing is that i spent less than 400 euros in a month. yes, it seems impossible but i did it. of course, i had to sleep in trains quite often. furthermore, whilst in chamonix i slept in the middle of the forest in the alps, and on the beach while i was near the sea.

this is a picture of my... ehem... "camp" in the alps.
http://www.geocities.com/norompanlas..._los_alpes.jpg

well, i got a little carried out there. well, what i was going to say. in paris the best thing you can do is walk. virtually every place is worth checking out. the latin quarter is pretty nice (where the sorbonne is) and of course you have to see the avenue des champs elysees. oh, and if you are a little morbid, you could go to the pere lachaise cemetery, where lots of historical figures are buried, among them old jimbo morrison.

in case anyone is interested, here are some pics of my trip (copy and paste link to see). [img]smile.gif[/img]

this in in nice, obviously.
http://www.geocities.com/norompanlasolas/11_niza.jpg

jumping off rocks in nice (yep, thats me).
http://www.geocities.com/norompanlas...tando_roca.jpg

this is in the beautiful city of annecy, which is by a lake and overshadowed by a mountain belonging to the alps.
http://www.geocities.com/norompanlas...ion_annecy.jpg

this is in chamonix, by the mer de glace (sea of ice) a huge glacier that rolls down the mont blanc.
http://www.geocities.com/norompanlas...r_de_hielo.jpg

inside the glacier.
http://www.geocities.com/norompanlasolas/24_glaciar.jpg

at 2,900 mts in the plain de aiguillie. i trekked the hole way up there, it took me at least 4 hours and it was tiring as hell.
http://www.geocities.com/norompanlas...le_du_midi.jpg
Old 09-26-2002, 06:20 AM   #15
norompanlasolas

forgot to add... you definitely have to check out versailles if you go to paris. its a short train ride away, and its magnificent. especially the gardens and the forest sorrounding it, so try to go when there is good weather. beware thats it gets a little pricey between the rides and tickets and all. oh, and get the entrance at the train station cause otherwise youll have to queue for at least an hour to get in. there are hordes and hordes of japanese! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2002, 07:34 AM   #16
monte carlo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skywalker:
[QB]What I'd like to know is if anyone knows of any lesser known places to see, eat, etc. in Paris. We're not likely to go far outside the city, but all recommendations will be considered.

London.

Go to the Gare De Nord, get on the Eurostar and you'll be in Waterloo in 2 hours.

Cheers
MC
Old 09-26-2002, 07:35 AM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Nice pics Norom! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Skywalker, have fun!! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2002, 07:46 AM   #18
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
forgot to add... you definitely have to check out versailles if you go to paris. its a short train ride away, and its magnificent. especially the gardens and the forest sorrounding it, so try to go when there is good weather. beware thats it gets a little pricey between the rides and tickets and all. oh, and get the entrance at the train station cause otherwise youll have to queue for at least an hour to get in. there are hordes and hordes of japanese! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think Versailles is the only place we are going outside of Paris. I agree that it is a must see!

Mark
Old 09-27-2002, 08:24 AM   #19
skywalker
Banned User

On my way to drop off the dog with my wife's parents and then to the airport.
Thanx to all the ideas and the well wishes for a safe and fun trip. I will miss you guys too!

Bye for now!

Mark
Old 09-27-2002, 11:07 AM   #20
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes have a GREAT time there Skywalker i wish i could take Tone my gf on trip there to Paris to but have a good trip! [img]tongue.gif[/img]