Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
Lucern
Quintesson

I'll concur with the general sentiment to some extent. I can't vouch for the expansions, but I thought the original was so bad that I never even considered buying the first expansion.

It wasn't bad, per se - it was just bad relative to what I expected and what it was hyped to be. It was only marginally close to D&D rules, had none of the feel of previous D&D titles, and multiplayer was supposed to be this fantastic chain of worlds connected by portals and such. It wasn't. I was extremely disappointed in it..that it played more like Diablo or Dark Stone than a 3d versatile Baldur's Gate or IWD. I was anxiously waiting for it since I heard about it in 1999 or so. They were supposed to have a very short single player campaign to show off the engine's capabilities, but it seems they spent too long on that very long campaign that they didn't do as much with the engine and tools as they wanted.

However, that was 2002 and it is very mod-able. It's probably a fairly good game now with all Ziroc among thousands of others have done to improve it. It's also probably fairly cheap now

So if you do get NWN, go all out with the expansions and a few hours of downloading first [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-20-2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Single Player: Teh suck. Teh suck to the MAX!
Multiplayer. Friggin' awesome, though WoW has it beat.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:08 AM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Agreed. WoW is great but if you are looking for a nice free (non-mmo) online game using the D&D rules NWN's is it. Guild Wars is also something to consider along the free online games route and is alot newer too. Depends on what you're into really.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:23 AM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
I'll concur with the general sentiment to some extent. I can't vouch for the expansions, but I thought the original was so bad that I never even considered buying the first expansion.

It wasn't bad, per se - it was just bad relative to what I expected and what it was hyped to be. It was only marginally close to D&D rules, had none of the feel of previous D&D titles, and multiplayer was supposed to be this fantastic chain of worlds connected by portals and such. It wasn't. I was extremely disappointed in it..that it played more like Diablo or Dark Stone than a 3d versatile Baldur's Gate or IWD. I was anxiously waiting for it since I heard about it in 1999 or so. They were supposed to have a very short single player campaign to show off the engine's capabilities, but it seems they spent too long on that very long campaign that they didn't do as much with the engine and tools as they wanted.

However, that was 2002 and it is very mod-able. It's probably a fairly good game now with all Ziroc among thousands of others have done to improve it. It's also probably fairly cheap now

So if you do get NWN, go all out with the expansions and a few hours of downloading first [img]smile.gif[/img]
I agree, for me the D&D 'feel' never really was pulled off right in NWN's. I mean, all the stuff was there but I didn't get the same stirring that I did with BG or IWD. Granted, the OC was a bad first impression and very generic in nature but still...something was lost in the translation that I never could put my finger on. Maybe I missed those artistically stunning 2d environments and despite the fact that everyone (including me) couldn't wait for a real 3d D&D game it didn't seem to have the same 'magic'.

Don't misunderstand, I played NWN's for ages. The online experience is great for the most part and the toolset itself is a game of its own but it was marketed as a game that would change roleplaying forever etc. and many people were consequently let down. It is also true that the game has come a long way at this stage and the mod community create whole new dimensions of enjoyment for NWN's players.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #15
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The bland graphics didn't help either, the game felt like another run through of dungeon siege.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:20 AM   #16
Lucern
Quintesson

I agree regarding the graphics SD. You know how in an infinity engine game, of course you never saw the sky, but you could feel it just looking at the ground? I always pictured the NWN sky as dull, bleak, and grey from looking at the surroundings.

Then again, that monitor was dying at the time lol, but I could still feel the difference.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:10 AM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

Wait for Neverwinter Nights diamond!! It has everything you need (I'm actually waiting for it as well).

Or has it been released already? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
the mighty stamar

um

I didnt like nwn at all when I first played it

I didnt like the first expansion either.

The hordes of underdark expansion is great though

The total of the user made expansions are just pretty much not that good really. I dont think you have to consider that as greatly as you think you will because its actually kind of frustrating to spend a lot of time on even the best rated ones.

I think the user made expansions to morrowind are implemented about a million times better. they are like must have things like giants and wilderness.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #19
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Still undecided. Is Ziroc's thing open to all comers? Do you need any mods or expansions? Can nwn be played online at all without any expansions? How does it compare with the infinity engine games? Is it even as good as IWD? You're not going to throw rocks at me are you?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 PM   #20
the mighty stamar

um
the campaigns to nwn are similar in length to the first icewind dale.

hordes of underdark is much more clever than the orignal and shadows of unrentide

the first two are greatly linear imo. not as interesting or inspiring as any of the infinity engine games. but i think icewind dale was the worst one of those so its probably similar.

the single player game that ships with just nwn is not really worth going through, its extremely easy. It is worse that dungeon seige really, you dont even click on the enemies lol it just goes automatically.

i give it about a 4. its been a long time it had its moments. theres a story, a lot of reading. click here here here many times and then it doesnt even end really not even a cliffhanger....

u can ask people more into nwn what they like about it but i doubt anyone says its as interesting as the infinity engine games. I mean for one thing, the 3 campaigns are much smaller and shorter think like um, a third of baldurs gate or less really the way its done. just takes place in one city for the most part.

[ 11-04-2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: the mighty stamar ]
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote