Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #11
Ikarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually, I learned a bit more about training stealth, and realized what it did- I dumped that idea. I'd rather play the game more "as intended".

Thanks for the additional tips.
Ikarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You are very close to the party I am playing right now...

Dwarf Fighter
Dracon Samurai
Human Monk
Hobbit Bard
Mook Ranger
Fairy Bishop

This is my first party and have been very happy with it.

By far my MVP has been my Monk. I like the Psionic spells at range, and then close in and she just shreads the bad guys. I rarely see the Monk getting much love in this forum. I think a lot of people automatically go with the fairly Ninja becuase of you-know-what and then don't feel the need for a Monk.

Anyway, I am approaching level 18 with my Bard and can't decide on whether to switch her or not. There is a lot of Bard-only equipment she is using right now. Her Music has been maxed out for some time, but does anyone know if instruments continue to work better at higher Bard levels?
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #13
Dean Jacobsen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There has been much debate on Bard vs Gadgeteer. Some of the points made are

Bards get decent stuff in early game. Gadgeteers take longer, the lightning rod from the monastary and the duct tape at Arnika being notable exceptions.

Bards stuff loses effectiveness in later game.

In addition to gadgets, omnigun is a crippling weapon.

My solution is to dual class. I start with a Bard, and train music in the lower monastary on the roaches in the locked cell. Getting music to 60 and Bard level 5 allows
Bless
Freeze All
Hex
Heal All
Freeze Flesh
Terror
Magic Screen
Shrill Sound
Sleep
Silence
Insanity
Slow
Charm

You will not be able to use the instruments for

Pandemonium
Cerebral Hemorrhage
Nuclear Blast
Armormelt
Restoration
Haste
Soul Shield
Turncoat
Lifesteal

I shift to Gadgeteer at level 6 and head off to Arnika. The lightning rod and the piercing pipes are both very effective in the early game and the Bard's instruments are like "instant gadgets", no need to trek across Dominus for the other missing piece. Lot's of neat intruments are out of reach, but by the time you could use them, the gadgets are coming into use. Not everyone's choice, I know, but it works for me.

DeanJacobsen
Dean Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #14
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I did that once with a solo, Bard-to-Gad; you can still get Haste from Ankh of Speed, and the throwing i did before i could develop Modern enabled me to use bombs and powders more effectively.

But still, instruments and gadgets are no match for spells, esp if you get Powercast.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:05 AM   #15
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

In agreement with Scatter, and Powercast is just about a must-have for spellcasters.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote