Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2002, 10:34 PM   #11
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Ritalin has been found to be effective, and I think it does have a role to play. I don't agree with people who deny ADHD as a disorder, and I think there is a biological component that can really only be targetted by drugs. However when you hear about kids who are afraid of not taking it because they think without it they won't be able to behave or concentrate, it worries me. They may be right, which kind of worries me more. I'm concerned when people, especially kids, get into a culture of taking drugs, where they feel like they can't cope without them. I would prefer other methods where they can learn to depend on themselves, behaviour modification techniques in conjunction with ritalin so they know that they can cope without drugs if need be.

I think your cousin probably doesn't have ADHD, GrandRanger, if a properly administered test by a mental health professional showed he did not. I think there is overdiagnosis of the disorder, so if he was shown not to have it, he probably doesn't [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 05-21-2002, 10:38 PM   #12
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I see what you are sayin Iron Ranger [img]smile.gif[/img] yeah there are some kids like that, but I still think that if parents took a part in "training" (for lack of a better word) said child to slow down when speaking, would be better than giving him drugs. Plus I worry that this Ridilin might be shutting down emotions in kids, all emotions, not just the bad ones, but the good ones as well.

Dunno, I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-21-2002, 10:44 PM   #13
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Well, Kids at that age usally wont listen to everythign there parents say anyway. And being hyper doesnt help. So how are they soupouse to sit down and talk to them if the kids is figgting and not paying attention anyway?

How are you BTW LadyZep [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2002, 11:04 PM   #14
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't like the idea of taking / prescribing drugs in general, since there's a danger of addiction or the drug losing its effectiveness if consumed over a long period of time.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #15
Epona
Zartan

I was hyperactive as a child - due to a minor allergy to tartrazine - the additive that makes orange drinks orange.

None of this ADD stuff or ritalin existed when I was a kid - and I didn't go round creating absolute havoc. I think drugs are the lazy way out.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:06 PM   #16
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Its the parents best friend drug. Get your kid diagnosed with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and they get Ridilin. Makes them concentrate.
Translated means...makes them pliable and Zombies like so a parent doesnt need to get off his/her fat ass and actually do any parenting......or it might cure a rare and over diagnosed disorder...you pick one [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2002, 03:16 PM   #17
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have a nephew that started on that, and now he is on a lighter version, though I do not know that name of it. Anyway, he had a terrible time in school, and was failing all his grades, though his mom knew that the kid was smart enough to be passing them. She would set and watch him try to do his homework, and was amazed at how he would just stare at the page, as though he expected it to move. Well he was diagnosed with the HDD or ADD or whatever, and although we were all against him starting any drug treatment, it was kinda like a family idea that he at least be tried on it, and observed heavily. Well...his grades has improved so much that he rarely makes anything below an "A" in his class, and his reading comprehension is ahead of is class.
I know that Ritilin is not the answer, and certainly not the solution to the problem ...but I compare it to kids with Diabetes...the insolin does not cure them, but since science has not yet found the cure...insolin keeps the kids alive long enough to wait for a cure to come about. So is Ritilin and other drugs for kids that have trouble in focusing their attention. It will at least help them along until a better medicine is found, which is being researched now.

[ 05-22-2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 05-22-2002, 03:22 PM   #18
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I was hyperactive as a child - due to a minor allergy to tartrazine - the additive that makes orange drinks orange.

None of this ADD stuff or ritalin existed when I was a kid - and I didn't go round creating absolute havoc. I think drugs are the lazy way out.
I agree! Unless there is actually a Bug, virus, bacteria or measurable quantifiable chemical imbalance Im against drugging our kids, especially for subjective things like "He/she seems over active" type diagnoses.

Old 05-22-2002, 03:28 PM   #19
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I have a nephew that started on that, and now he is on a lighter version, though I do not know that name of it. Anyway, he had a terrible time in school, and was failing all his grades, though his mom knew that the kid was smart enough to be passing them. She would set and watch him try to do his homework, and was amazed at how he would just stare at the page, as though he expected it to move. Well he was diagnosed with the HDD or ADD or whatever, and although we were all against him starting any drug treatment, it was kinda like a family idea that he at least be tried on it, and observed heavily. Well...his grades has improved so much that he rarely makes anything below an "A" in his class, and his reading comprehension is ahead of is class.
I know that Ritilin is not the answer, and certainly not the solution to the problem ...but I compare it to kids with Diabetes...the insolin does not cure them, but since science has not yet found the cure...insolin keeps the kids alive long enough to wait for a cure to come about. So is Ritilin and other drugs for kids that have trouble in focusing their attention. It will at least help them along until a better medicine is found, which is being researched now.
I had a "best" friend in High school whose dad got PO'd that he had failing grades and didnt do his home work.....so one day the dad came in while we were goofing around and smacked the hell out of him and told him that if he got anything lower than a C he was going to get his ass beat. Amazingly enough his grades went up.... I thought it was horrible the way he smacked the kid around...but on the other hand...it is hard to argue with results...the "kid" now owns his own Sherwin Williams Paint store and has told me that getting smacked around was probably the best thing that ever happened to him.....We have pretty much lost contact now, but last I saw them His kids were doing well, one was an honors student and accepted to Penn State.

Old 05-22-2002, 03:28 PM   #20
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Quote:
Translated means...makes them pliable and Zombies like so a parent doesnt need to get off his/her fat ass and actually do any parenting......or it might cure a rare and over diagnosed disorder...you pick one
it's alot easier for the parents and teachers to drug the kids than to actually work with them.and the doctors and drug companies are not going to complain about the money they make from the ad/hd scam.
Quote:
I have a nephew that started on that, and now he is on a lighter version, though I do not know that name of it.
it might be adderol.