Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 05:33 PM   #11
Legolas
Jack Burton

Who needs Baldurash patches? TRUE Archers.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Tell me, does the composite longbow only give a +1 bonus to damage with the patch?
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:40 PM   #12
Jim
Quintesson

I'm not sure when the damage was droped from +2 to +1 but it was sometime between installing ToB and the most recent ToB patch.

I'd normally agree with you that true archers shouldn't use the patch, but since they weakened grandmastery for game balance reasons, and Dundee is soloing, I think it's acceptable to use. (at least that's what I kept telling myself when I soloed!)

They never seem to get bows right. A longbow gives +1 to hit, therefore a +1 long bow has a +2 THAC0 bonus, but have you noticed that a +2 long bow also has +2 THAC0?? Surely this should be +3. The speed factor is also the same. This means that a +1 and +2 longbow are identical!?! Oh well......
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:50 PM   #13
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I got the Grandmaster Patch a long, long time ago because if I did not, there would have been no point to having Grandmastery in weapons. You mean with the Grandmaster Patch, I get +1 to damage with one proficiency in any weapon? Woah... ...

Arrows does 1D6 damage
***** in Longbows does +5 damage
Archer bonuses, +3 damage
Composite Long Bow, +1 damage

That gives a range between 10-15. Hmmmm... I guess the times I got 9 damage is because the target had damage resistances.

Cool, thanks Jim, thanks Legolas, and thanks to everybody else who helped. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ADD]
I think ***** gives +4 damage only though, because I suspect you might be right Jim, that a level 10 Archer gets +4 to damage. Coz I think you do not get any benefits with only *.
[/ADD]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 07:45 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh yeah, a level 10 Archer has +4 THACO and +4 Damage. [img]smile.gif[/img] I calculated the THACO just now and it tallys up. This means ***** only gives you +4 to Damage. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2001, 09:29 AM   #15
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I have a level 10 Archer, he is using a Composite Long Bow and Normal Arrows. He has 18 DEX.

Arrows does 1D6 damage
C.Long Bow adds 1 damage
Archer's bonuses add 3 damage( or is it +4?)

Therotically, my maximum damage is 6 + 1 + 3 = 10 Damage

How is it that I sometimes get 15 Damage? And never go below 9 damage? Where do the extra 4-5 damage come from?

if he is an elf thats about another +1 with bows
Old 12-04-2001, 09:36 AM   #16
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Radiant_Memphit:
if he is an elf thats about another +1 with bows

Robin Clym is a human being. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2001, 10:45 AM   #17
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I got the Grandmaster Patch a long, long time ago because if I did not, there would have been no point to having Grandmastery in weapons. You mean with the Grandmaster Patch, I get +1 to damage with one proficiency in any weapon? Woah... ...
[/ADD]

you get +2 dam for having ** in a weapon, but no bonus damage for * (it goes off the PnP specialization bonus... partially, where if you specialize (**) you get +1 hit, +2 dam) i'll try and find the chart they use in the game, i could find the PnP listing, but it's slightly different
Old 12-04-2001, 01:32 PM   #18
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:

you get +2 dam for having ** in a weapon, but no bonus damage for * (it goes off the PnP specialization bonus... partially, where if you specialize (**) you get +1 hit, +2 dam) i'll try and find the chart they use in the game, i could find the PnP listing, but it's slightly different

ok, I found the original chart form bg1 (which the patch restores as the default

# of *'s ; + to hit ; + to dam ; # attacks/rnd
0 ; -2 ; -1 ; 1
* ; 0 ; 0 ; 1
** ; 1 ; 2 ; 3/2
*** ; 3 ; 3 ; 3/2
**** ; 3 ; 4 ; 3/2
***** ; 3 ; 5 ; 2

does not include extra attacks gained for high level
attacks/rnd, by warrior lvl
1-6 ; 1/1
7-12 ; 3/2
13+ ; 2/2

these bonuses are cumulative
Old 12-04-2001, 01:55 PM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah... so Grandmastery gives you +3 to hit, I see. Then I retract my previous statement, level 10 Archers only get +3 to THACO and +3 to Damage.

Thanks Morgeruat.