Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

O.K. I finally did it. Last night I signed up for Digital Cable and Cable Internet.
On saterday june 7th, or monday June 9th, I will be able to pick up my Cable Modem and self install Kit.
After all the installing is done and I have set up my new E-Mail accounts what will I need to do to keep my Name and posts here at Ironworks?
Will I have to sign on and re-regester with A new name or,can I just go into my profile page and change my E-mail address?
If I have to start over can I get my name back?

I tried the DSL free try for two weeks but it wasn't that fast. Tuesday while at My friends house I used his cable internet. WOW what speed!! Then last night the cable company called me and made me a deal I couldn't live without and I said sign me up. I can hardly wait.
[img]graemlins/happydance.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img]

Please let me know A.S.A.P because this may be the last day of dial up for me.

THANKS To those that respond and please don't reply just to spam this Topic, this is very important to me!
Old 06-06-2003, 09:48 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Crimsonblade, you shouldn't have any problem. You should be able to log in with your password as usual here on IWs with your new cable connection. But if you decide to change your email addy in your profile, then you will receive a new password from IWs via your new email, and won't be able to post until you get said new password.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-06-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Great!! Thank You very much.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
MagiK

Also, don't expect this place to be blazingly fast either...there is a lot of traffic here at times so it really doesn't matter how fast your line is if the other end is slammed with traffic.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:38 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Ah, CrimsonBlade, my friend, I see you at least tried the DSL. If my recollection is correct we were both looking into this back in late April. I signed up for it, too, received my modem, etc., only to have Verizon pull the plug for no reason other than the lame excuse that they didn't have the lines/equipment/whatever to service me. I said, "Right, uh-huhn." Next thing I know a flyer comes in the mail a week later advertising the very same service but this time with MSN in the mix. When they signed me up there was no mention of MSN. Can you catch the drift here? I think MSN was a late addition and they were backpeddling from new accounts prior to MSN.

Anyway, I need to get off of AOL. I have a 56K modem. AOL has 56K modems, but the only problem is my telephone lines NEVER connect me faster than 21600 BPS. It could be 4 a.m. in the morning and I am still at the same speed.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:49 PM   #6
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

There are alot of large MOD's for RPG's that I play and alot of demo's I would like to download and play. I'm tired of spending 20 hrs trying to down load a MOD and loose the connection with only 10 minutes to go. I know that cable isn't the end of all my problems with the Internet but it's a hell of A good start.
I belong to more than 30 different forums most are Gaming or D&D sites and I buy alot of things on E-Bay and other sites.I think Cable will Make life on the internet a little more fun.
I live in a small town that wants or thinks it's A big City. After 9:00 every night 98% of the town is asleep. After 9:00 PM there won't be very many people on line here and, that makes cable internet very fast here with very few on my service. My friend has the same cable and the other night I was using it here on Ironworks. I went from page to page in micro seconds. In fact just for fun I started at the top of General Conversation and started clicking on every post done that day. In less than 10 min I had clicked on every post and every page that day, It was totaly great. I didnt read much but I was able to look at every single post. It took less time than just trying to look at cloudy's Cafe with my Dial up tonight. But thanks for the heads up Magik! I know how busy this Forum gets. I'm here every night and have been for a couple of years. I don't post alot but I read everything in every section and if I can bring up the pages faster I'll be happy.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

There is nothing better than turning on your cable modem and booting your PC and there you are, connected! No more waiting to dial up (sometimes 3-5 times before connecting) and no more getting dropped in the middle of a download.

Just make sure you have a good firewall!

Mark
Old 06-07-2003, 06:49 AM   #8
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

The thigns ya want now is Extremley nice fire wall [img]smile.gif[/img] and a goood program you can download from like direct connect [img]smile.gif[/img] and dsl is so much nicer than damn dial up shit < sorry... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I too made the switch to cable modem, and am loving every minute of it. I have a hard time with the providers homepage from time to time, but since I have my own home page, that isn't a big deal, unless I want to check that email. Other than that, man do I love cable, plus, my girl and I can play mp games, when I can talk her into it, and have a kicking good time. Welcome to the wonderful world of " did I really just download that file in the time it took me to push save".
Old 06-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #10
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I went over to the cable office in town at 12:25 today to pick up my self install kit and the sign on the door said;

OPEN
MON-FRI 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM
SAT---- 8:00 AM - 12:00 Noon
CLOSED SUN

I missed picking up my kit by 25 min and the people that work there just looked at me srugged and shook their heads. Did you ever want to shoot those people behind closed doors when you get there after they close. It would have been nice if the lady that sold me the system on thursday night had told me to be at the store before 12:00 noon saturday. Instead she just said I could pick up the kit saturday or monday. OH well, monday night I'll be on cable. For now it's 56k dial up. I think I'm going to go play Bloodmoon for a couple hours, I need to kill something. so lookout Morrowind I'm back.