Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2003, 06:15 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

G'day guys and gals

I've just bought and installed a new cd-rw as my old one was playing up. It was playing Audio and reading about 50% of the games but seemed to fail the more it sped up. Anyway I got a new Cdrom/burn and insalled it

1. no other cd or drive fitted, so i connected it to the secondry IDE port and the jumper was already fitted to the MASTER device setting. all like the previus cdrom/burner (wich I removed by the way)

2. fitted the power cable. Power available, opens closes and spins.

3. connected audio cable to motherboard though the mother board audio is off as I have a seperate sound card fitted.

4. will not read any cd either music or game/data

the board is a ak77pro, the nero software it came with can not be read! but the device manager (xp) is telling me that the device is working and it installed new hardware via the wizard ok.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks guys [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-17-2003, 06:26 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

OK I´m not that good at these things since I have my hubby to take care of me and fluffy. But shouldn´t your audio cable go to your sound card? I know mine does. That will of course not help the CD find the discs. Did you insert the correct cable? Not the power cable but the other? The ATA cable(?). There are two connections on that one. IIRC you can´t just chose one. One goes to the master and the other to the slave.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Check that the jumper is set correctly...there should be instructions on that back of your drive. Try setting it to slave...
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle oů l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 04-17-2003, 07:33 AM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Letter

Thanks for trying to help Willow#9 [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] But I just swapped the same cables from the old cd to the new cd, The old one used to work and the new one had the same insalation instruction / settings so... [img]smile.gif[/img]

as for the audio it is the annaloge (sp) so it does not matter I think. anyway I just disconnected that, and still to no avail.

If your computer is fluffy then if I do another reformat I will call it Dante. It is a version of hell for sure [img]tongue.gif[/img]

P.s. Has your dolphin found any mines in the Gulf yet [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

P.P.s Has your dolphin got a nickname yet?

Old 04-17-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
Check that the jumper is set correctly...there should be instructions on that back of your drive. Try setting it to slave...
The pin area has 3 sets of pins, The master one has a connector on it. Does that mean it is the one currantly selected?

Old 04-17-2003, 08:40 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If it's the only device on the ribbon cable, you can set it to either master or leave it blank (by removing the jumper), I generally set it to Master. There should be either a picture on the CD-RW showing how to configure the jumpers, or there should be some letters visible near the jumpers themselves. MA = Master, and SL = Slave. Avoid CS if it's there.

If the CD is not being found, check all your cable connections. That means the one to the back of the drive (little red strip should go towards power), as well as where the cable mounts on the motherboard. I'll often pop the cables and reseat them to ensure I've got a good connection.

Failing that, does the CD actually work? Can you open and shut the door and so on?

Well, there's a start anyway...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

What I always wondered is 'ow 'ard is "wellard"? Is it as 'ard as nailz?

[ 04-17-2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 04-17-2003, 10:33 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
ROTFLLAO Vaskez! And they call you grouchy? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

How´s it coming wellard? Is it working yet? Perhaps you ought to bring a woman in there to have a look. You know how men always mess things up. [img]tongue.gif[/img] LLAO!
Old 04-18-2003, 05:55 AM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
As 'Ard as diamonds mate, as 'ard as diamonds [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

But crap at fixing computers *blah* give me a plane to fix. Something mechanical, or tangible. Not this smoke and mirrors stuff [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2003, 11:38 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Un ashamed bump

If there is any one out there in Ironworks land that can help, see the first post for details, I would appreciate it.

No Baldurs gate till i'ts fixed And I will not have the money to get a shop to fix it for a fornight.

HEEEEEELLLLLLP [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]