Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Producers Race to Produce Elizabeth Smart Film

The race is on among top television producers to become the first to turn out a made-for-TV movie about the Elizabeth Smart case, with NBC said to be hoping to air a film in time for the May ratings sweeps, the Los Angeles Times reported today. The newspaper said that representatives from the production companies have been sent to Utah seeking rights deals with the Smarts. However, the Times indicated that John Walsh, host of America's Most Wanted, may have the inside track in producing a film about the case because of his close relationship with father Ed Smart and the fact that his program has been credited with helping to find the teenager. Friday night's Dateline NBC, devoted entirely to the Smart case and anchored by Stone Phillips in Salt Lake City, scored a 9.3 rating and a 14 share, easily winning the 9:00 hour and helping the network to hold a commanding lead for the night.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is really sad IMO. This poor kid is going to have therapy for years and have to deal with a made for TV movie about her ordeal.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:27 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Oh FFS.

If it was a member of my family that just got found after 9 months missing, and someone came round asking to make a movie, id probably be done for assault the next day.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:06 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

This is truly pathetic. Made-for-TV movies tend to trivialize events by adding in elements of drama or suspense that the screenwriter thinks people will find interesting. Sometimes I really hate television....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
The.Relic
Red Dragon

My feelings on this matter are split. First is my disgust at the traditional exploitation of high profile trajedy cases such as this.
On the other hand, There is the need to help public awareness, so that we can be made aware of another method in which families are violated and make the necessary mental notes on something else to watch out for in this often dangerous world.
There is a very real sense that this is a sad developement of a genuine trajedy turned into a joyous reunion (we hope), tempered with the publics need to know, in regards to its own safety.
It is another "Catch 22" for those who are familiar with the phrase. A kind of "Damned if you do, and damned if you don't"!
We can only hope that this will be handled in such a way as not to further exacerbate the healthy recovery of this young lady and her family and loved ones.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:12 PM   #5
Rageheart
Emerald Dragon

Well i think it is pretty bad, but plenty of people are confused on the case. It could be good in some ways, but bad in a lot of others.......
Old 03-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
Animal
Gold Dragon

It never ceases to amaze me to just what lengths people will go to to profit from the suffering of others.

I agree with you, andrewas, if a reporter came knocking on my door after that happened to my daughter, I'd be doing time.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:29 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I agree that it is wrong to make profit off of such an event as this, but as mentioned above, there may be a good outcome to it. Maybe, at least one family that watches this show will realize how vulnerable their own home is, and take action to safe-guard their childrens' lives a bit more. If this show saves 1 life by bringing awareness to the public...then I support it. I hope it is done correctly, and honors the family.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:11 AM   #8
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I said my opinion on this in the other Smart thread. BTW [img]graemlins/bart.gif[/img] to all the movie producers who touch this. And, if there is a movie, all of the procedes better go directly into a trust fund for Elizibeth.

[ 03-18-2003, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]