Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2002, 12:50 PM   #21
Finn
The Magister

SPOILER [don't read this post if you're planning on watching Memento and you haven't already. Don't want to spoil it for ya [img]smile.gif[/img] ]
This has been bugging me for days now. Okay, maybe I'm a little slow in the brain department but just exactly how did it end? Was Teddy right all along when he told Leonard at the end of the movie what truly transpired or was Teddy lying again?

Maybe the the scripwriter wants us to come up with our own conclusions? If so, then I can think of 3 possible versions of the ending. Hope somebody can help me out with this one.

Old 10-21-2002, 07:57 PM   #22
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

No, I don't think Teddy was lying. What's her name seems more of a conspirator than him.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:02 PM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Finn:
SPOILER [don't read this post if you're planning on watching Memento and you haven't already. Don't want to spoil it for ya [img]smile.gif[/img] ]
This has been bugging me for days now. Okay, maybe I'm a little slow in the brain department but just exactly how did it end? Was Teddy right all along when he told Leonard at the end of the movie what truly transpired or was Teddy lying again?

Maybe the the scripwriter wants us to come up with our own conclusions? If so, then I can think of 3 possible versions of the ending. Hope somebody can help me out with this one.

Spoiler. Total spoiler. Will give the plot away. DON"T READ IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN THE FILM!
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
He was telling the truth. The thing is, Leonard then manipulated himself. His own condition. After their conversation, he decided to kill him, and so wrote the note to tattoo himself with a 'fact' that would lead him to Teddy.

It's a great story. That simple development leaves so much to ponder on. People can alter their memories to "change the color of a room" for example.

I recently found an old journal of mine. It depicted a scene in Hungary which I have often recalled. It described an elderly man falling over and being helped by six people.

On reading the journal I was shocked. I'd always remembered a woman! My picture in my head is of an elderly woman falling down.

Either I was wrong when I wrote it, making a mistake, or my memory has changed over the years. I don't know which to trust, my memory or my handwriting.

It blew me away.

Anyhow, that's part of the intrigue of the film, and what makes it a work of art.

As a result of seeing it, we look at our own lives

[ 10-21-2002, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 10-21-2002, 09:46 PM   #24
The Trickster
Manshoon

Fantastic Film.....but I'm not sure how this thread hasn't been moved yet!!??
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:20 AM   #25
Finn
The Magister

SPOILER ALERT:
Thanks Yorrick! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wow, so Teddy was telling the truth after all. Leonard knew he had to get rid of Teddy to maintain the "life" he had created in his mind. Prolly something to keep him going on...Not wanting to accept the fact that he gave his wife an overdose of insulin and the fact that John G was a "villian" of sorts that he mentally manufactured.

The thing was, I wasn't sure if Teddy was telling the truth. The other version of the ending that I thought of was that Leonard was being manipulated by Teddy to kill Natalie's boyfriend. Motive being the drugs, money, car etc. Or for whatever reason that was not revealed in the movie.

Also, another point I'd like to raise....Natalie obviously had to know that Leonard killed her boyfriend right? After all, he came back wearing his clothes, driving his car. Why didn't she do anything about it? Did she want her boyfriend dead in the first place? If so, why?

I really enjoyed the movie because it left me with more questions than answers and I like the fact that as the movie progressed, we get to peice the plot together bit by bit.

Yea, according to some psychologists, people tend to censor or alter their own memories most of the time. Take out the disturbing bits and replacing them with more acceptable ones. Still, its kinda scary remebering things that didn't happen.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:56 AM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

If you check Natalies whole schtick, she was shocked and mentioned the clothes. She had a love hate thing with him the whole time, not really sure whether he was telling the truth or not.

She DID manipulate him. She also had a lot of anger for him. Remember the scene where she abuses him? Saying that she can say whatever she likes and he'll forget it all.

How wild is that? How does one have a relationship with someone who forgets they met you all the time?!

I love the scene where he asks how he's supposed to heal if no time passes.

Incredible film!

Oh, BTW could a moderator PLEASE move this to the books/films section? Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 10-24-2002, 01:26 AM   #27
uss
20th Level Warrior

Yeah, Memento was great!
Old 10-24-2002, 06:49 AM   #28
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Question Mark

Yes indeed, great film...

SPOILER
Well, as far as I was aware Teddy did manipulate Leonard to kill Jimmy, but this was one of the reasons Leonard doctors his memory to kill him. He wants revenge against Teddy for having used him, and also he wants to be able to forget the kind of life he is actually living - that he has already killed John G and that while he thinks everything works ("I have a system...") he is actually a complete mess. Teddy reveals to him exactly how incapable he really is, and he wants to be able to forget that.

Its interesting to note that Leonard considers himself, if possible, more reliable than normal people as he functions from the written word, not memory. This is shown to be quite scarily naive at the end of the film as it points out that memory is not the only thing that can change the facts. Leonard relies entirely on himself, or previous incarnations of himself, for information. As such he can just as easily be tricked by his own mind as someone relying on memory. The short story the film is based on is extremely good. It's written by Jonathon Nolan (Chris Nolan's brother), the main character writes notes to himself, like Leonard, but does so as if he is writing to a different person. It brings in the issue of whether or not we are only the images of our subconscious much more. The character considers himself dead once his memories are gone, but another person is born at the same time. Worth a read.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe