Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 09:06 PM   #31
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I want to kind of repeat a post I just made in another thread here for the education of people who put all teacher's in the same leaky boat, so to speak.

In regard to the saying "Those who can't *do* teach":

That is one of the lamest most offensive remarks ever made without thought to people who actually do teach.
It is really not funny to put people who are willing to spend their time educating others in such a bad light.

Where would any of us be without those who taught us? No one ever thinks about that.

I've known teachers who were fantastic artist's, mechanics, landlords, and computer geniuses....these people chose teaching as their profession because eventaully it DOES pay well with great benefits upon retirement and here in the U.S. at least, it gives most teachers a three month vacation WITH PAY to do other things like travel, create, renovate, etc. etc.

I am an education major. Because I love children and I want to see something better come out of our school system and the children we will be depending on in our future.

The people who inspired me the most in my life have been teachers of all levels from the primary grades right through college. Not all of them were the best teachers, but the ones who cared about their jobs and were dedicated to their students actually learning something were, and are, absolute blessings to all they taught.

I could do other things...I am educated in electronics, plumbing, carpentry, auto mechanics and a number of other fields...not so that I could ever work at jobs which that knowledge would employ, but because it makes me capable of DOING FOR MYSELF what I would otherwise have to pay someone else to do. Call it cheap if you want but one of the lessons my dad taught me that was worth its weight in gold is that there is nothing you can't learn if you take the time to.

While I am here, I'd like to add the rest of my other post, just so it doesn't go un-noticed for people who might really believe it:
On the belief that "a lot of our would-be good teacher pool choose other higher paying professions or complete more school and teach college":

That should be the truth but the plain fact is it's not. I'm only spending my second year in college and granted, the best educators in college are well educated and dedicated but the worst ones are "well educated" and only in it for their bigger paychecks...they could give a crap who passes their courses because if the person has to take it again, it just guarantees them a job the next semester...as long as a majority of students "pass" (like with a C) their credibility is not judged and their worthlessness is not taken into consideration especially when they can blame the lower grades on "youth and their lack of responsibility"...some are even employeed to fulfill quotas for the balance of "race" and "handicapped" issues without judgement on the quality of their performance because they are needed there to fulfill a government quota which means they get continuous funding without question so long as their quotas are met.
Don't blame the teachers, blame the system that employees them. There are ways of weeding out the bad from the good but with the present state of teacher shortages in our country today the systems that employ them are forced to lower their standards in order to comply with governmental regulations.

This is a quote from an assignment I was given by my present English PROFESSOR in COLLEGE...

"Please read the following poems and selected one poem that you feel confident you can write a five-page analysis.
You May also selected poems from the following pages, 1145 through 1229."

A higher education and the status of a college professor doesn't mean squat. It only means that someone was able to afford to get themselves through the courses required to obtain the higher degree and that doesn't mean knowing the material.

*stepping off my soap box*
Moni: Just six words...

"Thank you, Thank you, BLESS you!!!" [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."