Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 09:19 AM   #11
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Larry, good luck. I did that for a couple of years, it stinks but you gotta do what you gotta do.....

Good luck....

You Can Not Hide
Old 10-09-2002, 09:46 AM   #12
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

it's a shame it's needed. i always hated not seeing my family when they ran around with second jobs and such. nathan talks about getting one, but i don't want him to. i'd rather get a first job than him a second, but i don;t think most day cares would take lyn this early! oh well....good luck!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 12:25 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'd love to get a 2nd job for some extra cash, but in my line of work you can't work second jobs. The attitude is "if you have free time, spend it at *this* office." The good thing is I can take work home and work when things are hectic rather than staying late at the office.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:27 PM   #14
myungbass
Manshoon

i only have one job, but the pay is so bad with my expenses that i need either 2 jobs or a job with better pay..good luck dude
no no! put it on rocco ya look scary!<br /><br />now rocco, are ya sure yer oh-bee kay-bee? ::snicker::<br /><br />Shepherds we shall be<br />For thee, my Lord, for thee.<br />Power hath descended forth from Thy hand<br />So feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.<br />We will flow a river forth to Thee<br />And teeming with souls shall it ever be.<br />In Nomeni Patri Et Fili<br />Spiritus Sancti
Old 10-09-2002, 12:46 PM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Be careful with the "it's only for 3 months" idea. I was leaving a job to come to my current job and told them I'd work part-time for a month or two or until they could find someone else. I figured the extra cash would be great for awhile. I've been working there part-time for the last 11 years

The trick is not to take on too much. Even if it's short term, don't let it get under your skin. As long as the people at the second job understand it's a second job for you and work with you, you'll be fine.

I've been super lucky with my second job, but even so, I've had to cut the number of hours in order to retain my sanity....lol!

[ 10-09-2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-09-2002, 05:13 PM   #16
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

Larry don't go. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee you may get some extra cash but we can't play as much (we really did't anyway but....). Oh well Good luck. If I move i'll be sure to come and buy some stuff from you.

P.S. Tell me your hours when you get them.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:18 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Good luck, Larry! It's rough being in that situation and you will no doubt miss the time with your family but I think you can do it. It's a limited time, right? Just the Christmas season?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:32 AM   #18
skywalker
Banned User

I worked at KayBee Toys for 1 month before Christmas several years ago.

I quit because I told them I preferred not to work 2 weekend days per week and they proceeded to schedule me both Saturday and Sunday in the same weekend. The manager claimed that the days were in 2 separate weeks and thought it was OK. I guess I was not clear that after working 5 days at my "real" job, I needed to have one day off a week.

They also made me bounce red playground balls around the story, which I thought was silly. I bounced one to a kid and it hit him in the face...ouch! We had waterguns to shoot at each other and to let kids try. I gave it to a kid and he full blast soaked several shelves of puzzle boxes before I could stop him.

It started to get very busy in October and I figured I would not last 'til Christmas if it got worse and so I quit.

Good Luck, Larry...You're gonna need it!

Mark
Old 10-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #19
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Woah...Skywalker...that is a messed up story you got there! I hope to not have similar problems. I have alread told her that Sundays are absolutely "no"...

Yes, Cloudy, it is only during the holidays...they will probably lay me off afterward, due to my hours. They know that they need me during Christmas, but not after. They would rather pay high-school students. They come cheaper. I have asked for the wages near an assistant manager, and they agreed, just because they need someone with responsibility and background in there during the hectic season.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:18 PM   #20
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Woah...Skywalker...that is a messed up story you got there! I hope to not have similar problems. I have alread told her that Sundays are absolutely "no"...

Yes, Cloudy, it is only during the holidays...they will probably lay me off afterward, due to my hours. They know that they need me during Christmas, but not after. They would rather pay high-school students. They come cheaper. I have asked for the wages near an assistant manager, and they agreed, just because they need someone with responsibility and background in there during the hectic season.
Seriously, I think it was mostly poor management. I hope you do much better. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark