Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2002, 10:47 PM   #11
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I really hate them. They are not fair!! The other morning on the way to work, I went under one of these lights (at the bottom of a hill!) that has one of those cameras on them that takes a picture of your plates if you run the red light, then you get a ticket sent in the mail. Well I swear I was about 15 feet from the white line where I would have to come to a stop before the light, when the light turned yellow. I wasn't speeding, but to stop on that line would mean locking my brakes up big time, even then hard to say if I'd make it and not be stuck in the middle of the intersection. Its a pretty big intersection too, a good distance between the white line and beyond the light. So, sigh, I gunned it, felt I had no choice. Saw the light turn red right as my front windshield went under it. So now I wait to see if I get a ticket. How much of a run do you have to run to get said ticket I wonder? See it isn't fair to me, because OK, I understand running a red light can cause an accident, as the other people going the other direction gets the green light and moves forward and you could collide with them. But clipping it like I did is not to me dangerous in that way nor deserving of a ticket, as when I was going under that light, the light had still not turned green for those going the other way. But, who knows, these cameras draw in lots of cash, so I would not be surprised if I get a ticket in the mail...

Anyone have those camera traffic lights where you live?
Did you know that SOME of them are fakes? You can tell if all you see is the 'strobe light' and that is it--I have a Police friend that told us.. But the fake one near us was 'upgraded' with a camera, I guess people caught on.. The camera looks like a pole that comes down off the wire.

They DO need them, we have way too many kids running lights and dragging down here (Florida). NICE cars, but idiots. Taking chances with the lives of many people racing like that.

They NEED a local raceway so Teenagers can go there and do it.

Old 05-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #12
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well at this light there are blinking signs that say "camera enforced", I hope it is a fake! But yes I see the need for them, just wonder how strict the rules are, again, as mentioned above, how much do you have to run to get a ticket for running? Oh well, I'll find out soon enough I reckon [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-14-2002, 11:06 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Many times you might think they are cameras, but they are motion sensors that help determine when the lights change. I also sometimes confuse cameras with the light sensors that are on the lights that change the light to green when a cop or emergency vehicle comes up with lights flashing.

Usually, at least out here in California, when they are real camera's they will have a sign warning of that fact. I hope it's the same with you! Good luck.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-14-2002, 11:32 PM   #14
Azred
Drow Priestess

Those thing are all over Plano, in addition to little signs that tell you how many people were cited for running the red light in that particular intersection last year; I haven't done it yet, but I bet if I added all those numbers I would exceed the population of the immediate area. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Anyway, given how many people are so aggressively hyper around here and how many of them begin to roll through the intersection before the light has turned green, if you did run a red light a ticket would be the least of your worries!

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:19 AM   #15
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well don't worry about it.. [img]smile.gif[/img] I just say screw them and enjoy what you are doing!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well if you want a place where you can speed, drink while driving, going past traffic lights, or whatever, come here! (Just have enough money to pay off the police).. oh.. but then things are actually looking up! The corruption is now lessened... and it would be hard to "feel" who's go and not
Old 05-15-2002, 05:35 AM   #16
Bristowe
Elminster

Man... , In Australia, specifically Victoria now, you get booked if you go over the speed limit by 3km/hr...This is just total bull. Fullon just a tactic by stupid government to raise revenue...Glarrgh
It sucks even more because car speedos arn't always exactly correct...
Old 05-15-2002, 05:59 AM   #17
andrewas
Harper

I HATE these things, but i can understand them on intersection. The ones the bug me big time are on long straights with clear visibilty, good surfaces where it probably be safe to exceed the speed limit by quite a lot. Would it be cynical to say that these ones are placed more for the revenue than saftey?

But the flash from one is quite distinctive, if you were driving into the sun you might miss it, but most times youd catch it in the mirrors.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:34 AM   #18
Chewbacca
Zartan

I think its sad that we need such devises in the first place. While operating a giant hunk of steel traveling at fast speeds it's common sense to drive carefully and respectfully. I do not live in a place that has cameras, sometime I wonder if massachusetts police actual enforce traffic laws by all the stupid fast driving I see every where, everyday. I think if the camera system is reasonable it can be a great deterent for people doing something stupid. Unfortunatly the "black and white" nature of the devise make some "close" situations inevitable. I hope you dont get a ticket, Ladyzekke, and if you do you can probably fight it and win.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:35 PM   #19
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Man... , In Australia, specifically Victoria now, you get booked if you go over the speed limit by 3km/hr...This is just total bull. Fullon just a tactic by stupid government to raise revenue...Glarrgh
It sucks even more because car speedos arn't always exactly correct...
Strange Bristowe the same speed limit here only 3km/hr then you get the bill in the mail, maby we have it from Australia hmm and some more thing we are taking up from other contryes (Sweden) is the alcohol limit in the blood when you are driving we had 0,5% percent limit OHH that was to mutch look at Sweden they have 0,2% and that must we have to, what the f*ck is the sense of those who are ruling this contry?? are they coming out from an asylium and in to the goverment or what?

And over to a little funny story about those speed cameraes i read it in the newspaper a man had cut down the hole boxes from the street and taking it with him home and the police find over 20 boxes in this mans garage haha lol and the man say he would sell the camraes..

[ 05-15-2002, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]