Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2002, 07:31 AM   #41
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I don't know who's sending them out - I'm wary of previewing the email addresses as this worm can be VERY annoying. I'm guessing that the worm probably goes through people's Internet Explorer Temporary Net Files cache and searches for addresses there, as well as in the Outlook address book.

I just quarantine the files, dump the emails, and clear the quarantine bins.

Old 05-05-2002, 08:07 AM   #42
Epona
Zartan

OK well I just ran a complete test on my system, and it's not me, I'm clean.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:24 AM   #43
Epona
Zartan

Hey, I'm Thoth! How long have I been Thoth?
And *what* is that he's smoking! [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2002, 09:50 AM   #44
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyril Darkcloud:
quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Memmy, I went to Microsoft but it refuses to install 'cause I keep requesting the wrong one. How can I tell what version of Microsoft Internet Explorer I have?
Galadria, I don't know what OS you're running, but this should work:

Click on 'Start' and go to the Program Files folder. Once this opens, go to the Accessories folder. Open the System Tools folder and click on 'System Information'

Start - Program Files - Accessories - Sytem Tools - System Information

You should be able to get detailed info. on your IE version here.

I'm one of those who has been indirectly affected by the Klez virus. Someone on campus out here became infected and the bug sent out virus laden e-mails with my address in the 'from' line.
[/QUOTE]To find your IE version and info, all you need to do is:

In your browser, click 'Help' then 'About Internet Explorer'

If you have a fresh install of Internet Explorer from a Windows 98 CD, and have NOT downloaded ANY patches, and you use Outlook Express, the chances of you being infected are about 89%.

You won't even KNOW it's been run, because it can be run even if you use the 'preview message' option.

So if you have IE 5.01 or below and have never patched it, you are probably infected.
[/QUOTE]Z, I just got scanned, and I am clear.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 05-05-2002, 02:52 PM   #45
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Smeagols clean!
Old 05-05-2002, 03:06 PM   #46
Sorcerer Alex

Hotmail's virus scan actually leaves a lot to be desired. I got an email three days ago with a virus in it, it's only because I have a Norton virus-scanner (only recently installed) that I managed to pick it up before it wreaked havoc on my laptop. So, er, kids... never trust your hotmail

Old 05-05-2002, 10:36 PM   #47
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I got hit by this virus/worm a few weeks ago, but managed to clean it.
This virus is nasty - if it infects your PC, it will disable your anti-virus program.
I posted here for help at the time, asking for assistance as I had some problems running Norton Utlities. That was because (unknown to me at the time) the virus had already fouled up my Norton by fiddling with the Windows registry.
I tried reinstalling Norton but of course that didn't work. Eventually I managed to clean the virus that weekend, and things are ok now.
I suspected a virus as I frequently watch the incoming/ougoing count of bytes received/sent. When my PC was infected, the count going out was abnormally high.
For those of you whose antivirus programs have been hit, Symantec (the makers of NAV) have a tool you can download to remove the virus. Fortunately removal is pretty easy.