Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-22-2001, 12:41 PM   #11
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Burn him! He turned me into a newt!
*giggle*

I got better.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:21 PM   #12
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I actually did start with BG2 and then bought BG1 to see what its like. From that I'd say yes, get it, it really helps fill you in on the character backgrounds and story, and you get the opportunity to take a single character all the way through from the very beginning. I am actually halfway through BG1 now with a new character, and its pretty good. However, there are a few niggles that might annoy you...
The game unpauses on the inventory screen, which means if you stop to swap weapons on find a potion or change weapons you might find yourself unexpectedly dead, or that the battles over and you missed all the fun!
The game does pause on the map screen
There are no bags of holding, scroll cases etc so the inventory soon gets cuttered up.
The screen resolution is stuck at the lowest level.
And worst of all, there are no kits, and no sorceror.

But the quests, characters and story is the equal of BG2, and very absorbing.

I would definitly reccomend it, and besides you can get it for under a tenner these days, which is excellent value for months of addictive gameplay.

Go for it!!!

Think we should start a campaign to get black isle/bioware to update it to the BG2 engine, anyone else in?
Old 11-22-2001, 01:32 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

If you buy the TOTSC expansion and download the Dark Side Of the Sword Coast from TeamBG, that solves some of the inventory problems as I believe they included a bag of holding. (I Dl'ed it, but didn't play far into it yet)

I don't really miss the kits in BG1 - it's the simplicity and the D&D adventure feel that makes it so good to me.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:58 PM   #14
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
If you buy the TOTSC expansion and download the Dark Side Of the Sword Coast from TeamBG, that solves some of the inventory problems as I believe they included a bag of holding. (I Dl'ed it, but didn't play far into it yet)

I don't really miss the kits in BG1 - it's the simplicity and the D&D adventure feel that makes it so good to me.

Now this is some great news to my ears! It's been about a years since I last played BG1 TOTSC, and recently D/L'ded DSOTSC. Although I still have BG2 TOB and IWD HOW with TOL to complete before I go back to BG1 it is great to know that the DSOTSC has the bag of holding! Only problem is that it will probably be ages before I actually go back to it but I am starting to look forward to it again! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 06:50 PM   #15
andrewas
Harper

i personaly would never play through BG2 without taking the char through BG1 first, if its impossible ill hack the char into BG1 if i have to. do you have any idea how difficult its gonna be to solo a monk through BG1?
Old 11-23-2001, 04:22 AM   #16
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I'm with Melusine. Simplicity is definately a welcome change of pace from Spell Sequencers, Class Bonuses and Mage Battles.
Its one of the reasons why I bought IWD and HOW. BG1 requres a lot of forethought as to what you're gonna do when you get attacked and everything (you HAVE to have backup weapons in your quick weapon slots) and you'll use potions and hoard all the +1 weapons you can find
Old 11-24-2001, 12:16 PM   #17
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hail and well met, Merlin!

I think you would enjoy BG1. It does require a lot of planning before battles though.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the equipment. There are some items in BG1 that you don't have in BG2 - however, there is a CHEAT method and/or patch you can use to allow you to keep your BG1 equipment in BG2. I did this because I play a Wizard Slayer (sorry, no offense). I had an Axe from BG1 that had a good chance to cause Miscast Magic on each hit, so I wanted it in BG2.

PLUS, there is an item that requires you to play BG1,BG2, and ToB to gain all the components. You then can create a super-powerful weapon.

Barbarian Magic Missle - Toss a wizard at the biggest monster. Either way, something good is bound to happen.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:45 PM   #18
andrewas
Harper

not only a super weapon (with unlimited ammo) but also super armour. you cant get it by being entirely honest tho, and i, like most people, dumped the item from BG1 since it seems useless at the time.

a hint that wont spoil it, let me think. nope, cant think of one. just keep anythin unusual, just like in BG2 in fact.

as an aside - does anyone know if its possible to play BG1 with the bG2 engine - not the new items/classes/races/kit - tho thatd be nice for roleplaying purposes - but the updated graphics and rules. altho the xp from traps and scrolls would likley spoil the game balance.

and before someone goes on about how much work it would be to create all that art in high res - its just the same art displayed smaller. and the spell effects (esp mirror image) would be worth it.