Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2001, 04:10 AM   #1
deverece
Dungeon Master

I am a complete newbie to multiplayer, but am really interested in trying. I have a pretty powerful computer with a very large hard drive and a cable modem. So if someone will help me set it up I can act as server for a game. I would try mplayer, but have been hearing bad things about it.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:35 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hi there! I'm playing a multi-game using TCP/IP connection. I did not set it up/host it, but I think the creation of the game is in the manual. If you can't find it, let me know here, and I'll ask the person who hosts for us to post an answer for you or give me the info, ok?

I can tell you about JOINING a game now, if you like.
Host must tell you his/her IP as of the time of the game. IP addresses vary from log on to log on. To connect- bare with me, I have no game or manual here at the office (they frown on that sort of thing LOLOLOL)

start game
choose multi-play
choose connect (top left button option)
set it to tcp/ip
then choose Join Game (bottom left)
You must then type in the ip address (be sure to use all numbers and dots as the appear for the host- ie: 111.l2.22.345 the number of digits may vary in each section)
Then click Join
you will have to wait a while now- if you are not already online, your computer should dial up sometime around this step
next you will get a JOIN screen that shows the name of the host and any other players already in the game and you need to type your own name in- then click JOIN

At this point you should enter (may take time!) the Character Arbitration screen and can see what pc's and npc's are in the party (none to start with of course-) or can generate a character- need permission from host to do that- you can import a char too. Dialog box here for typing in to talk to other gamers. type and hit enter to send messages

In game- There is a dialog bar just above the tool bar (where you
choose to cast a spell or ck pack) it's at bottom of the box that
shows your game info- like spell cast/effect, dialog with the
townsfolk etc. If that box is expanded (covering half the screen!)
you can easily see the small separate bar on the bottom, click in it and a
pink cursor I shape shows up- type away and hit enter! voila, your text
appears above in the box. If the box is minimized (you can see two lines
of what's happening onscreen- talk etc) just click in vicinity of very
bottom-open bar space and it'll show the pink cursor. We type messages
back and forth.

Other important info:
--Only the host can save the game.
--All players must have IDENTICAL versions of the game to the host. If you don't have a patch he/she has, you will not be able to join the game.
--You must go to game configuration (from the start bar on windows) and:
* set the cache to 400 (best)
*frame rate to 30 (at least)
*if you have slow connection, I heartily recommend taking enhanced pathfinding OFF! I had a real problem with dropping out til I fixed that!

Agree in advance with your party as to which Pause features you all want. They can be VERY useful and VERY annoying at times. So play with it. Playing styles vary and it is IMPORTANT to remember that each player has their own way of doing things in single game. Have some patience and be willing to compromise and have one heck of a good time!

Cloudbringer, multi-game addict
Old 03-13-2001, 10:42 AM   #3
merc widowmaker
Dungeon Master

I would like very much to join a multiplayer game to see if I like it, is there a chance that I could join your game for a trial period ?

------------------

Nobody tells me what to do, not even me !

[This message has been edited by merc widowmaker (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 11:19 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I am afraid, we are pretty far along and need to use npc's to do quests so it doesn't leave a lot of room for new additions- we also just picked up a friend who has been wanting to join us for awhile but is thrashing through the problems associated with getting connected. Cuts the gaming time down a bit! Plus we do a lot of time juggling due to our various time zones.

You might want to post here asking others to join you! That is how my game got going in the first place! There seem to be a lot of people interested in multi-gaming and I bet you'd find someone to host/play! You'd be best off with a new game if you can start it. Work out the bugs and all get used to styles/schedules. Good Luck!

Cloudbringer

------------------
Storm-Queen
Purple Rose of the Black Knight
Old 03-13-2001, 11:31 AM   #5
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Cloudbringer....sorry to leap in on this thread but are you on for tonight?
PS... Not all IP's change. Mine is the same permanently

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:43 AM   #6
Sentinel04
The Magister

If you're gonna start a multiplayer game, and need a player, I'll join up .

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 11:48 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Hi Cloudbringer....sorry to leap in on this thread but are you on for tonight?
PS... Not all IP's change. Mine is the same permanently

Charlie-yes- any further posts -move to our one from last night? on other board?

see ya there, babe!