Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 10:06 PM   #1
Glycerine
Manshoon

Getting ready to start this game and am looking for suggestions on which class/race combos are the best to use. For my first run through I want to use all 6 character slots.

Also, which classes are good to switch to and when?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:10 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome Glycerine!!!

My own preference is for 1 warrior, 1 rogue, 2 wizards and 2 priests.

Warriors and Rogues can switch far earlier than magic users. It is best to wait until magic users reach about level 14 and have learned the higher level spells before changing class. The exception to this would be changing a wizard to a warlock - they will still be able to learn all their spells!

You might want to try a search on this subject too!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:16 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

For a 6-character party: my choice would be 3 warriors, 1 priest, and 2 wizards to start.

Take one of the warriors to Paladin soon on, one of them to Ranger, and one of them to Barbarian (to learn Traps & Locks and Pickpocket). Leave the Priest and Wizards set for awhile until they get the spells you want them to have.

This will give two characters who can cast Spirit Magic, 2 characters who can cast Vine magic, two characters who can cast Sun Magic, and 2 characters who can cast Stone magic. The barbarian will take the place of the Rogue, who is really not necessary (and can't join a guild until Ishad N'ha.)

After you get to Ishad N'ha and adventuring a bit, you may decide on additional role changes. It's up to you from that point.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:16 PM   #4
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Everyone has their favorites and many different reasons why they like them. That is the neat thing about this game, you can replay it with different characters to see what you like better.

I started with one group and started over 3 times before the middle of the game before I was satisfied with my group. But here is what I like and why. I am sure others will have their own opinions.

I like to have at least one whiskah in the party for looking at things in the dark. Very helpful. I went with a ratling for my rogue and used him to open the chests. I don't know if it made a lot of difference or not. I had an elf simply because I love elves. I had an omphaz because of the mana seed and because they can carry a LOT of weight.

I started out with one character of each class plus an extra fighter and an extra wizard. My first party used two priests, but I found that with an extra wizard I could have one concentrate on the stone magic and get meteorstorm quickly. It is my absolute favorite spell and is one of the few spells the Naga from the Serpent temple is not immune to. (Trust me this is a viscious monster that most are not ready to meet when you run into it.)

But everyone has their favorites and part of the fun is to find out what works best for you.

Enjoy

Knarfling

P.S. Welcome to our board!!!! Hope you enjoy it here.

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:18 PM   #5
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

welcome to the forum! you'll find some crazy folks here...

like Wyvern said, it would be good if you do the search first (towards the upper right hand corner of the forum) before asking questions.

I usually start out with 2 warriors, 1 rogue, 2 wizards, 1 priest

------------------
Adam Mage/Warlock
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:28 PM   #6
Moni

Welcome to the best W&W forum anywhere!

I see you have lots of advice here but I am going to throw my preferences for a starter party in anyway LOL! I started with 3 Warriors, A Priest, A Rogue and A Wizard...waited until mid levels (i.e 7-9) to ascend the Warriors to Paladin or Samauri and waited until I had high level spells to change the Wizard to Warlock. The Priest stayed a Priest until the endgame Zenmaster ascension and the Rogue ascended to Ninja as soon as we were headed to Shurugeon Castle and later when he had level 7 spells, he became an assassin.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as all of us have!

Moni
Old 04-04-2001, 10:34 PM   #7
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't know Moni - you sure that's a good idea to switch roles at level 7-9?
when I changed my Priest's role at level 9, I could not receive any further Vine Spells.....

------------------
Adam Mage/Warlock
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:34 PM   #8
Mr-Eiz
Drow Warrior

I am with NoniI tooI started with 3 Warriors, A Priest, A Rogue and A Wizard...waited until high levels (i.e 14-19) to change them over

Remember that the longest Battle startes with a rusty sword and
leather armor

------------------
T H A N K S
Eiz
Mr-Eiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:51 PM   #9
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

I chose to go with 1 warrior,1 wizard,1 rouge,and 2 priests.But to each his or her own,this early on the only thing I would suggest is this.Like many of the classics you can create a party give all gold to one and delete the rest.This is good because while doing this you can hold back the charters that get good random points.you can even back up when you get good numbers to change class and race while retaining the points.I know this seems tedious but your early game will that much better.The better the foundation the better the structure.
Just my two denars.Oh allmost forgot one of these had better be the feline,natural see in the dark can't be beat early on.

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.
..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 04-04-2001).]
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 10:54 PM   #10
Moni

Adam, I changed the Warriors at those levels since they don't start out with any spells and by that time we were needing more heal and flame spells (heading into Serpent Temple and west of Ishad N'ha). I did wait with spellcasters to gain level 7 spells before ascending to new roles.

Moni