Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2001, 07:45 PM   #11
WizardMen
The Magister

My first RPG on a computer was actully this 1 and diablo 2. but iv been playing Rpg's for along time on playstation games like ff7,ff8,fft(if fft counts as a RPG),

()xxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
WizardMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 09:45 PM   #12
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Does Moraff's World and Castle of the Winds count? That was back in 1995 for me too. Played many many since then!

Mammawlin

By the by Skywalker, this is the right place for this thread.

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 03-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 03-20-2001).]
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 09:55 PM   #13
Gaius Pecunia
Dungeon Master

The Bard's Tale on the Commodore 128 along with my dad and many friends. I still remember how excited I was when my dad brought home some graph paper from work so I could map. Back then, you could actually finish a game without a cluebook or a board like this.
Gaius Pecunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 11:28 PM   #14
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I don't know if this qualifies or not, but I got hooked on computer RPGs back in the days of the text adventures. While not quite the same, it was those puzzles that first got me hooked. I started with the Original Adventure on a mainframe at school back in 1979. I played the text adventures for a long time and qot quite good at a few of them.

Then they made graphical text adventures (Text adventures with pictures), like Kings Quest, but I could never get into them. I missed out on Wizardy, because that was on the Apple at the time and I never got a computer until 83 when I got the Commodore 64. Once Ultima III came out, I was definately hooked. That was the best thing for the '64 since ram chips. I think I played that one 7 or 8 times.

A friend of mine had Alternate Reality for the Atari, and I played that a few times and kept hoping it would show up for the '64. That had a level of sophistication that even Ultima III and IV couldn't match with much more character developement possible. Definately far beyond its years. Of course I also played the Bard's Tales, as well, but I prefered the Ultima's and Alternate Reality.

Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 12:13 AM   #15
Elara
The Magister

My very first game was Zork I, in '85. Next was that one with all the twisty passages that all look alike.

And then, Moria. Hadn't a clue. Balrog? My little halfling cleric, starting with 9 hitpoints, found gobs of stuff on the first level, so the pack was weighed down to the ground. Could not find the stairs back to town and fell through a trap door to the level below. Kobolds everywhere! And then giant white lice!! Whole cloning families of giant white lice!!! Ran in a sweat for my life. Ran out food and torches but found a mushroom in the dark and desperately ate it, then hallucinated monster symbols for hours, having to fight them all because I didn't know which one was "real". My stomach still clenches at the memory.

LOLOLOL!! .. been hooked ever since.

Elara
Elara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 02:00 AM   #16
Mr_Smith

My first RPG-ish experience was Dragonstomper on an Atari 2600 with the Starpath Supercharger, but my first real CRPG was Ultima III. I spent a great many hours on that one.
Old 03-21-2001, 04:03 AM   #17
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Eye of the Beholder - great intro to pen and paper mapping, and hooked ever since.

Davr
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 06:02 AM   #18
Elcid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Bard's Tale on the Commodore 64 (1985).

W&W often reminds me of those good ole times...hard riddles, kind of round-to-round combat, many nice classes to choose from, a party of characters...I guess that's why I like this game so much.
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 08:09 AM   #19
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The very first one? well... I played it with a friend in High School. I only wish I could remember the title. All I could remember is that it had a plot similar to 'Black Cauldron.' (1988)

I played Ultima on Commondor 64 in 1986 but it does not count because I never finished it. all I could remember is that I was going around in circles.

When Nintendo came along, I was in RPG heaven.
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 11:07 AM   #20
Zoric
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First CRPG.....hmmm.....I wonder if I can remember back that far.... Just kidding - I remember it well, I was playing Ultima 1 and Wizardry 1 at about the same time on a friend's Apple II back in 1981. Been hooked ever since. By the way...has anyone else played a game called Moebius? I played through about half of it back in 1988, but never finished it. It wasn't that great a game, pretty basic in terms of graphics and gameplay, but I think it was the first martial arts CRPG to be released.

Zoric
Zoric is offline   Reply With Quote