Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2001, 10:46 PM   #1
Magnus

I was getting my butt kicked west side of Ishad N'ha. So I ran back into town...but the monsters don't go away! Do they go eventually?
Old 01-15-2001, 11:31 PM   #2
White Knight
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Unfortunately not. The monsters in the game are the most persistent I've ever seen. One would assume that, rather then giving up after a while and searching for easier prey, they stay outside the city walls forever waiting for a tasty adventurer meal, and eventually starve to death. Remember, though...you don't have to worry about food in the game, so I guess the monsters don't either. I guess they kill adventurers out of sheer malevolent spite. And I've never seen any city guards...what keeps them from following you in and wiping you out in town??? Must be impegnable city gates.

Seriously, though...keep in mind that your mana instantly regenerates as soon as you enter the towns...use this to your advantage by exiting, blasting the monsters with your mages, and reentering the town, as many times as necessary.
White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 12:11 AM   #3
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

hiya

I know everyone thinks I'm nuts for fighting mantraps hand to hand, but if you are only facing one of them, CHARGE them. If you can avoid the cloud of poison, get in their face and beat on them with weapons. It will take a bit, but they will not spit more poison when they are that close.

Also, with some clever items and a Lizardman, it could be conceivable to have 100% poison resistance (Lizardmen start with 50%), so if they are a constant plague, consider adding a green scaly man to your ranks.

Good luck!

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 05:32 AM   #4
carg
The Magister

Random encounters do disappear as soon as you've gotten far enough away from them. So you could try to leave the town on the other side first, walk a bit away from the gates and try again.
Note that that does not work for planned encounters: e.g. those mantraps you're going to run into soon: don't run back to town with them close behind you, or you'll be pretty stuck.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 11:29 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

There is one workable option with getting the Mantraps close to town, but you have to have the 7th level Sun spell "Circle of Fire" to do it:

When they're in pursuit of you, climb the wall to Ishad N'ha and drop down in the space on the other side of it. Wait until they're just on the other side of the wall (use Spirit Eye to see), turn around, and cast "Circle of Fire" on one of your characters. This particular spell extends through walls and any other obstacle, so the Mantraps will be toasted without anything happening to you. You may have to cast it repeatedly to get them all. Have some Mana Max potions on hand. When you are done, click the gate from the inside of the wall and you're back in Ishad N'ha.

NOTE: this is very risky, but it will work. I've tried it with success.

-Saz
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 02:25 PM   #6
carg
The Magister

Scronan, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but 100% poison resistance is no big help against these mantraps! I'm not sure why, but my solo character kept dying awfully quickly from their breaths. It was a bit of a problem, because I only had been warrior, ranger and paladin, so no offensive (area) spells at all. Finally I succeeded in spreading them by coming at them from the Dragonspire direction, in stead of through the narrow gap near Scanthril. One on one they were no problem at all: you can keep disrupting them before they breathe on you, and with haste and heroic might they fall very quickly, even on hard. Then my paladin finally could become Samurai and see where he was walking in the dungeons!
carg is offline   Reply With Quote